GTX680 SLI, accessory screen problem

Bigc208

Limp Gawd
I've got three 22 inch 1680x1050 in portrait and one zr30w @2560x1600 in landscape. When I'm in all displays active mode they all show properly. When I go into surround mode the three 22 inch monitors show as one 3370x1680(bezel correction) monitor. The 30 inch does not show up at all. I have the 30 inch on the primary cards display port. Two 22 inchers on the primary cards dvi one and hdmi. The third 22 inch monitor is hooked up to the secondary cards hdmi. I used this site's recommend hookup scheme.http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1904/1/.

I tried a few other things as well. Removed one card and hooked it all up to one GPU. Same result. One big surround resolution spanned over the three monitors an a blacked out 30 inch.

I also put in an old gtx570 I had laying around and hooked the 30 inch to that. The three monitors to the gtx680. Same result. I tried cutting the resolution of the 30 down in half but it made no difference. I can only put in 2 graphics cards. I even tried the integrated graphics on the I2500k at half resolution for the 30 inch. Same outcome, the 30 gets blacked out the moment I go into surround mode

I got the feeling I'm overlooking something basic here. Tried looking on the Nvidia forum but they've been down for a while. What I'm trying to do is use the surround for FSX's primary flightdeck and the 30 inch as a place to move systems and avionics. If anyone here sees what I'm missing let me know please. Thanks.

Just some added info. I'm running one vanilla EVGA gtx680 and the second is an EVGA gtx680 super clocked edition.

Last edited:
I have been doing this ever since I got my gtx 670 with three 26" monitors in surround at 6120 x 1200, and a 19 inch 720p accessory monitor. All four monitors are on my one and only card, so I think you should be able to do the same even with SLI.

I hope I don't get things mixed up cos I'm not at my rig right now (down time at work), but I'll tell you how I think I got it.

When you go in to surround, the accessory gets blacked out. Now right click your desktop and click screen resolution (this will not be done in the NVidia control panel). It will show all four monitors with the 3 surround monitors checked as being enable as one high res monitor. The fourth monitor will be disable (unchecked). All you have to do is check it. It will ask if you want to extend the primary (the 'high res' surround monitor). Choose to extend it and you should be good.

If it doesn't work, I will confirm how I did it when I get home in the morning. Like I said I'm writing this reply at work.

Thanks for the tip Manny. I tried it but it still won't do it. Tried it with all monitors hooked up to one GPU and also with two. When I do what you advice the 30 inch comes on but the two outside surround monitors go black. The center one stays on with the native resolution.

Sorry it's working for ya. It's exactly what i did, and I repeated it and it works fine for me.

Hi manny/bigc... I've been looking through posts on the forum trying to find someone who has a similar setup to what I am trying to achieve with FSX as I'm not sure if I can achieve what I want to do... so I was hoping your knowledge and experience might help.

I want to run three monitors in 2D surround off my Nvdia 670 card which will display the virtual cockpit. Then I want a 4th monitor to display instruments - this would be a 2D panel in FSX. Ideally the 4th display would be connected to the displayport (with a div adaptor) however I don't know if it is possible to display an FSX window on the monitor connected to the displayport?

I also wondered whether it makes a difference as to what can be displayed where if FSX is run in windowed mode as opposed to fullscreen? Presently I run FSX in fullscreen mode as I get better FPS.

If it is not possible to run the 4th monitor off the displayport then I have another gpu I can install and use for the 4th monitor ( a gtx 460) but again I'm not 100% sure this will work happily in conjunction with Nvdia surround.

I currently have just 2 monitors with a 3 rd on its way and I'm also using our hdmi tv to test some of this theory out on (much to the annoyance of the rest of the family) but it's quite difficult to test with the tv in another room!

Anyway, if you can give me any advice or knowledge you can share it would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry this reply might not be very helpful. In my little experience, nvidia cards don't like running games in windowed mode. When I tried it with Dirt3, I couldn't figure out why my fps were so low and temps so high. Maybe it's just that game.
I currently have 2 cards in SLI so I'm quit sure about the absolute requirement for using the displayport for the accessory monitor. I don't think you need to.
In my current setup, I have 2 monitors to the main card by DVI cables and third monitor to second card by DVI (all as required by nvidia drivers) and my accessory monitor for iRacing is connect to the top card by hdmi. So i'm currently not using the displayport at all.

thanks for your reply manny. Ideally I don't really want to use a 2nd card that's why I need to use the display port for the 4th monitor. If I use a 2nd card I think I might be pushing the limit on my current power supply (corsair 600w). So I would need to use the display port for the 4th monitor - which is fine - but I just can't seem to find anyone who can confirm if the accessory monitor can be used to display an FSX instrument window with FSX running in fullscreen mode.

I have FSX, but I haven't played it since building my current rig as I've been concentrating on racing sims. I have seen youtube videos of FSX with the instrument panel on a separate monitor. You could search for the videos and see if they have information on their system, or ask them about it. You could also google accessory monitor programs for FSX. It would be something similar to iRDDU program I use for iracing.

Back