GTX680 HDMI output stopped working??

thesmelliestsock.

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

For a long time I've been using an HDMI cable that I've run through the wall to hook up my computer to my TV. On my desk I have a monitor hooked up with DVI. The other day I turned my PC on and got no signal on the TV but the monitor works fine. Rather than troubleshoot by swapping the cord I ran through the wall I simply tried connecting a different HDMI cable to my monitor and to the GPU and still no video. The HDMI port simply does not appear to be working.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Could this possibly be software related?

Thanks

you tryed with only HDMI connection? i mean without DVI or any other connection... also you tryed connecting via HDMI to another display ? other tv or monitor?.

Indeed. I tried connecting my monitor via HDMI and it was a no-go as well. I was hoping it was a software issue but I don't get any picture even when booting the PC prior to it loading the OS.

Very strange, and unfortunately I think my only option is to RMA.

Download nVidia drivers of preference, uninstall existing drivers, reboot, run Driver Sweeper from Guru3D, reboot into Safe Mode, run Driver Sweeper again, reboot, install nVidia driver of preference. See if that revives the HDMI port.

Download nVidia drivers of preference, uninstall existing drivers, reboot, run Driver Sweeper from Guru3D, reboot into Safe Mode, run Driver Sweeper again, reboot, install nVidia driver of preference. See if that revives the HDMI port.

Did exactly that just before posting - no go :(

so nothing much really we can say as a short RMA.. sadly.. the HDMI port died, that happens.

so nothing much really we can say as a short RMA.. sadly.. the HDMI port died, that happens.

Yeah I know. I filed the RMA today and will send the card out. I will report back when they send me another card... I really dislike sending my beautiful squeaky clean card in to have them give me a refurb but what can ya do.

Every instance I've seen of an HDMI or Display Port ceasing to function has been from a resistor failure. I'd almost bet that is what happened in your particular situation.

Every instance I've seen of an HDMI or Display Port ceasing to function has been from a resistor failure. I'd almost bet that is what happened in your particular situation.

I'll never actually know. The MSI RMA process for video cards is to send me a refurbished unit upon receiving my defective one.

From what Sony reps told me, HDMI ports dying (in lots of different devices) seems to be pretty common.

From what Sony reps told me, HDMI ports dying (in lots of different devices) seems to be pretty common.

Yeah I don't doubt it. Sucks because I grew to be so accustomed to using my PC from my living room with a wireless keyboard/touchpad and a 360 controller. I can't go back now!

I'll follow up with this thread when a replacement comes in from MSI for some closure.

·PitBuLL·;1040174193 said:
Yeah I don't doubt it. Sucks because I grew to be so accustomed to using my PC from my living room with a wireless keyboard/touchpad and a 360 controller. I can't go back now!

I'll follow up with this thread when a replacement comes in from MSI for some closure.

That's my setup, too. It's a workstation, home theater, and uber-console all in one.

Minor update - video card should be back from RMA by Wednesday. MSI didn't provide me with any details on what the issue was, nor as to whether or not I'll be receiving back the same card.

A side note, I did attempt to connect the TV to the PC again with the Intel integrated graphics, but that was a no go either. It does work fine connected to my HP monitor. I am beginning to worry that this is one of those dreaded handshake issues that has no resolution other than replacing the mainboard on the TV or the TV itself. Every component of how I route my cable through the wall has been replaced from the cables to the plate itself. I have also reset my TV back to it's factory settings and still a no-go. I will have to wait until the card arrives to reach a verdict.

MSI replaced the card, it came in the mail today. They didn't have the decency to put a sticker on the fan cover though :(

Looking forward to getting home from work to try it out. If it doesn't fix my issue I might blow my head off :D

Back