GTX560 Ti or 6870 for BF3

perf.gif

Sadly, no it isn't. It's actually less than 3%. Well, alright, not less. 3.04%.
using cod4 with unknown resolution? :rolleyes:

like i said, you have to use an immense resolution to see the extra shaders at work.

I'm sure you do. Very few sites do detail the unlock procedure properly though, as opposed to just testing how close they got to the 6970 performance by using the 6970's BIOS. [H]'s review of the toxic shows a 4% difference in Dragon Age 2 at 1920x1200.

using cod4 with unknown resolution? :rolleyes:

like i said, you have to use an immense resolution to see the extra shaders at work.

You are grasping at straws. Rage3d did a nice comparison. There have been quite a few people posting similar results on the forums.

Dude, quit while you are ahead and stop claiming that everyone else is just talking out of their ass. You have lost all credibility post some benchmarks to back up your claims or don't make them at all.

You are grasping at straws. Rage3d did a nice comparison. There have been quite a few people posting similar results on the forums.

Dude, quit while you are ahead and stop claiming that everyone else is just talking out of their ass. You have lost all credibility post some benchmarks to back up your claims or don't make them at all.

according to anandtech, 4th paragraph in the conclusion section: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950/25

"the 6970 is 10-15% faster than 6950 for $70 more."

take a seat bonzo.

according to anandtech, 4th paragraph in the conclusion section: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950/25

take a seat bonzo.

No shit, sherlock.

What the fuck are you talking about?

differerent architecture, amd gpu's dont gain much performance when overclocked.

you should have known this by now.

if you dont know something i suggest that you dont get involved.

learn more about their shaders speed/mhz, and not just the core clock.

When set to the same clock speed 6950 and 6970 perform about the same. Therefor AMD cards do scale with clock speed unlike you claim.

Stop trying to twist everything while being a prick.

take a seat bonzo.

6950 core clock is 800mhz.

6970 core clock is 875mhz.

875 / 800 = 1.09375.......or 9.375% difference in speed.

9.375% + 3.04% = 12.415% (Just so were clear, that lies within 10-15% as you reported)

Thats not taking memory speed into account. If you still have questions, just sit on your hands instead.

take a seat bonzo.

When set to the same clock speed 6950 and 6970 perform about the same. Therefor AMD cards do scale with clock speed unlike you claim.

Stop trying to twist everything while being a prick.

Let him twist pricks, it doesnt make him any less ignorant.

Last edited:
I'm debating between the HD 6950 2GB and GTX560 TI 1GB. I'll be overclocking whatever I get and stick at waterblock on (already have a w/c system, so why not continue to use it?) Is the 1GB less VRAM going to be an issue for BF3? Or do most folks go with the GX650 TI 2GB version that is ~$70 more than the 1 GB version?
if i wer u, i'd go with the 6950 2gb edition and then unlock, via bios, to 6970, then overclock a little to get 6970 speeds, this, IMO is better than gtx 560 ti 1gb or 2gb. I have figured that whatever amd makes to combat a nvidia version, it generally performs better in every aspect, performance, power consumption etc.

9.375% + 3.04% = 12.415% (Just so were clear, that lies within 10-15% as you reported)

Bro that % wouldn't be additive but multiplicative.

1.09375 * 1.0304 = 1.127

Still in the 10-15% range (12.7%). Sorry that i corrected the math, it is just a pet peeve of mine.

560ti if for no other reason that ATIs drivers are in a bad state.

Really? Mine has been working like a champ for a long time now. Playing BF3 on High detail with 2XAA no problems. I just avoid crossfire with ATI because of drivers issues I had in the past but single card solutions I haven't had a problem in a really long time.

The VRAM on the 6950 is going to make a huge difference in the future. The ATI cards are just a better value than the Nvidia cards right now. I wanted to go Nvidia for my last build but the performance just wasn't there for the price so I got two 6870's and I'm glad I did.

The VRAM on the 6950 is going to make a huge difference in the future. The ATI cards are just a better value than the Nvidia cards right now. I wanted to go Nvidia for my last build but the performance just wasn't there for the price so I got two 6870's and I'm glad I did.

you are more likely to run out of gpu power than vram in the future with a single gpu.

unless you go with crossfire to add more power.

6950 core clock is 800mhz.

6970 core clock is 875mhz.

875 / 800 = 1.09375.......or 9.375% difference in speed.

:confused::confused::confused:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are more likely to run out of gpu power than vram in the future with a single gpu.

unless you go with crossfire to add more power.

The problem is the bottleneck with VRAM. GPU performance will scale but a bottleneck is a bottleneck.

I fixed his math and it was 12.7%, still within margin.

In any case, yeah i finally remembered you, you are indeed a troll:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1611581

"so far nvidia cards are destroying amd cards in Crysis 2, is Kyle waiting for performance boost from AMD drivers?"

Just stop it dude.

Every forum has their die-hard fanboys I'm afraid. The clue is figuring out who they are, to appropriately context their replies :)

I fixed his math and it was 12.7%, still within margin.

In any case, yeah i finally remembered you, you are indeed a troll:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1611581

"so far nvidia cards are destroying amd cards in Crysis 2, is Kyle waiting for performance boost from AMD drivers?"

Just stop it dude.

there was nothing wrong with my question to Kyle, i was just curious if he was waiting for AMD to release a better driver.

maybe you are looking at it the wrong way, maybe you're just trollphobic.

If you are set on these two, you will get very similar performance.
You can get a 6870 for $150 after rebate, $170 before. 560TI for $200 after rebate, maybe $230-240 before. For value alone I would get the 6870.

560TI will be marginally better, but not 33% better like the price would suggest.

2x 6870 in CF for $300 is probably the best performance up at that price point as well.

Best value in your range is probably a couple used 460s in SLI. Should about meet a 580 in performance.

there was nothing wrong with my question to Kyle, i was just curious if he was waiting for AMD to release a better driver.

maybe you are looking at it the wrong way, maybe you're just trollphobic.

"TROLLPHOBIC" Congratulations! I think you have invented a new word, sir. Let's submit that one to the folks over at Webster's, shall we?

Back