• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GTX480 HX620?

rudy

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
8,703
OK so I am trying to figure out if I have a bad card or under powered PSU or bad adapter.

Specs
GA-X58-UD3R
i7-950
6gb corsair xms ddr3 1600
WD 640GB AAKS
old dvd rom
razer baracuda sound card.

Asus GTX480

I purchased a adapter cable from newegg to go from 6pin - 8 pin.

I plug it in and I get a mobo beep at post which sounds like 1 long to short but they run them so fast who knows.

Nothing happens no screens turn on the fans just keep spinning and the hard drive keeps working.

I tried to move this to another system that only has a 580 watt psu but older hardware that should not be as demanding and the same exact thing happened. I removed the 8 pin connector and turned on the computer and the same thing happened.

So my question is can I know what has gone wrong here?

DOA video card?
Bad adapter cable to power video card from 6 pin PCI-E to 8 pin PCI-E?
PSU that is not strong enough to deliver power in either case?

It seems to me even if the PSU is not strong enough it would at least get past the post. I did not think POST would be hard on a PSU.

I need to figure this out because if it is likely a problem with the PSU i could upgrade but I do not want to go drop over $100 and waste all that time if it is actually a DOA video card.

Has anyone else run a GTX480 on a system like this? X58 and so on?

I even tried to unplug an unneeded things like power to the optical drive and still no luck. I put old video cards back in and the computers work just fine..
 
The 480 requires a 6pin and a 8pin to be plugged into it. Are both PCI-E plugs in the vid card?
 
Either of those PSU's should be able to at least allow your systems to boot with the 480. Make sure the adapter is pushed in FIRMLY to the 6 pin PCI-E connector. Sometimes those things don't connect well unless you push like crazy. If that doesn't work then try another adapter before going the RMA route on the vid card.

Which DVI port are you using? I've found when running one monitor that the one to the left looking at the back of the vid card is the one you want to use.
 
I plugged in both monitors right away I could try doing 1 at a time I believe the port labeled DVI-1 is the one I should do first.


Usually plugging the monitor into the wrong port will not lead to post beeps though right?
 
I should have read better. You are getting more than one beep at boot? If so the I suspect vid card is bad.
 
Ya it is definitely more than 1 beep.
What would happen if I had a good video card and I left out one PCI-E plug, I think I remember people saying that it would whine or make terrible sounds.

It is just hard for me to be sure it is not the 6/8 pin adapter which is what I am trying to verify but I cannot just go buy one and do not want to wait days for 1 to ship here.
 
Back
Top