GTX470 vs GTX580

RooK

[H]ard|Gawd
What sort of performance difference should I expect?

I play BF3... That's probably the most graphically intense game.

Should I wait for the new cards to come out since it seems like all GTX580's are going for 450+ ?

you should probably indicate what kind of system you have and what resolution you are playing at for an informed advice.

I assume you have the 470 now, a newer bad ass cpu, and 1080p or less then wait.

I assume you have the 470 now, a newer bad ass cpu, and 1080p or less then wait.

Yup. i7, play everything at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200.

I would like to run a tri-screen setup... IIRC, the 580 will not do that alone - even a 3GB version.

I should wait until kepler?

I would like to run a tri-screen setup... IIRC, the 580 will not do that alone - even a 3GB version.

No, it won't. You can wait for kepler (and no one can predict if it's gonna do 3 screens) or get AMD 79xx card now :)

Yup. i7, play everything at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200.

I should wait until kepler?

I would be looking at a 7950 if I were into multi-monitor.

Right now the best course of action (if you plan to stick with nVidia) IMO would be to wait until Kepler ships and A). Buy a 580 GTX when they get slashed by e-tailers to move inventory or B). Buy a Kepler card.

Wait. We are too close to the release of the kepler (even if it is a paper launch) and the rest of the 7 series. There will be a shift in the Price\performance market.

Who knows when that shift is going to happen. If I were to see a good price on a GTX560 ti 448 or GTX480 I say pick one up. I've done well buying nearly eol cards in the past just before launch of a new line up. I'm not expecting much from Kepler and as far as price vs performance the 7xxx series has been a massive let down. I'm not expecting much from the 78xx cards either.

I have a reference 470 and a hydrocopper 580, while the performance jump is there it just isn't big enough to justify the price increase. You're much better off getting another 470.

i use a 580 to play bf3 and it is enough. More than enough in 1080p. You should just try to grab a deal of the 580s. The newer cards can be too pricey in my opinion.

Back