GTX460 temps

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
I just got my EVGA GTX 460 EE 1GB Super Clocked.

When running furmark and having the fan set to auto it gets to 80C and the fan stays at 60%. Is that a normal temp?

If i increase the fan speed speed to 100% it gets to 69-71C which I know is an alright temp.

The card idles at 30-35C.

Anything I should be worrying about? I think the load temp of 80C with the auto fan setting is a bit high?

Auto mode uses a formula or lookup table to determine the fan speed based on the GPU temperature. If you improved cooling by installing more case fans or turning the AC on, the GPU temperature might actually stay the same, while the fan would spin slower because it doesn't need to work as hard to maintain the target temperature of 80C. Also, if you were to overvolt and overclock the GPU, the temp might still be 80C, but now with the fan running at a higher speed to compensate.

If it bothers you, I suppose you could hack the BIOS or use some software utility to make the Auto mode target a lower temperature. But 80C is fine, my 4850 used to hit 96C running Furmark, and auto mode didn't even put the fan at 100%. Used that card from mid-2008 until just recently, without any problems.

My Gainward GTX460 hits 65C when running Furmark, with the fan at 75% in Auto mode. It's nearly as loud as 100%, but I guess the designers at Gainward decided to play it safe by targeting a lower temperature at the expense of more noise.

Last edited:
Yeah I think the temps are fine. It runs 10C cooler while folding?

Maybe it just needed some burn in.

On the subject of temps, I just finished with a new system build with an EVGA GTX 460 768mb (non superclocked).

After running a slew of benchmarks, I'm finding the average load temp as reported by both HWMonitor and Evga Precision to be around....61c at 99% load.

Isn't that a little...low? The card doesn't seem to be underperforming at all. It has run Cryis, Mafia 2, Just Cause 2, and Red Faction Guerrilla flawlessly at max settings (test bench monitor has 1280x1024 resolution). I knew the GF104 cards ran cooler than their GF100 brethren, but this is crazy! 0_o

mine gets ~70ºC at load, fan ramps up to 60%

my ambient temperature is hot.

Furmark is getting the card more C than normal game. Even Metro or Crysis don't make the card work like that. I too get about 80C in Furmark but it never goes beyond 70C and 60% fan in game

How easy will it be to change the fan speed profile on a GTX460? I want it to run near silent as possible at idle but when in game i'd want the fan at like 90%+.
I'm thinking of getting one soon you see, unless AMD's 6 Series comes out with something tasty instead. I managed to change my 4870 fan profile via the BIOS easy as pie, just wondered how i'd go about it on an nVidia card.

With Afterburner it's easy enough. Though as you can't go under 40%, it's not very silent at idle. But if you can stand having the fan at 90% while gaming, I suppose 40% should be silent enough.

I mean, really. A jet engine has nothing on a 460 fan running at 90%. I'd much rather go back to using my 4670 than listen to the fan even at 70%, let alone 90%. 60% is pretty much the max I can take while gaming, and 40% is too loud for idle. I really should've bought a passive 5750 :p

With Afterburner it's easy enough. Though as you can't go under 40%, it's not very silent at idle. But if you can stand having the fan at 90% while gaming, I suppose 40% should be silent enough.

I mean, really. A jet engine has nothing on a 460 fan running at 90%. I'd much rather go back to using my 4670 than listen to the fan even at 70%, let alone 90%. 60% is pretty much the max I can take while gaming, and 40% is too loud for idle. I really should've bought a passive 5750 :p

My computer will be under the desk in a unit and when i game, i game loud, it will never bother me. Though i want it quiet on idle because i use the computer to listen to and make music in a mini home studio.

On the subject of temps, I just finished with a new system build with an EVGA GTX 460 768mb (non superclocked).

After running a slew of benchmarks, I'm finding the average load temp as reported by both HWMonitor and Evga Precision to be around....61c at 99% load.

Isn't that a little...low? The card doesn't seem to be underperforming at all. It has run Cryis, Mafia 2, Just Cause 2, and Red Faction Guerrilla flawlessly at max settings (test bench monitor has 1280x1024 resolution). I knew the GF104 cards ran cooler than their GF100 brethren, but this is crazy! 0_o

I have the EVGA 768MB SC version and get the same results: the GPU max out at 61C under all kind of stress tests with a 900MHz core, 2200MHz RAM and the default fan settings 40%. My previous card. a 8800GT was cooking at over 100C with stock settings!

I've seen some variation on the max temps, but I think it varies due to the case airflow.

Depending on the game, my EVGA GTX 460 1GB with the free BIOS update, get's as high as 94'c!!! And that is in my Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced case with adequate air cooling to boot. I will try to trun the side panel intake fan to exhaust some extra air out of the case. As it stands now, I have 3 fans intaking air; 2 @ 120mm and a 140mm. And I have 3 fans exhausting air; 2 @ 120mm and a 140mm. Cable management is done nicely to allow for maximum airflow. Any other suggestions?

Its Furmark causing the high temps. If you run 3dMark, Crysis, or any other major gaming benchmark you will see your temps dont even get nearly as high as furmark. In fact furmark has been responsible for burning out a few boards, Just get CPUID HWmonitor, run that and let ir record your highest temps while gaming and you will get a better idea. Just clear the temp records before benchmarking each time so you can see the high temps.

Goodluck

Back