• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GTX460 downclocking in BF:BC2?

Calum

n00b
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
41
I've searched for a good while to try and find anyone else with the same issue, but I've come up blank.
When I'm playing BF:BC2, my GTX460 (Inno3d 768MB verison) downclocks to the desktop clock speeds, then back up, constantly. It makes the game completely unplayable as it will run smooth for a few seconds, then stutter horribly, then back again. It doesn't settle down after a period of time playing. This behaviour is not apparent when under other loads such as Furmark or F@H. I don't have any other games installed to test right now, but I don't think this is an issue with this game specifically or I'm sure I would have heard more about it.
If it matters, I've checked the clock speeds with MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z, both say the same thing. The card is OC'd but I have dropped it back to stock, same with my CPU - no difference.
Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Do you think I have a bad card, or the drivers just need to mature, or what?
 
theres been a few threads posted about stuttering and hitching in BFBC2 with the gtx 460.. just look around im sure you will find them.. and im sure its the same problem for everyone..
 
I guess I must have been using the wrong keywords then, I've not come across anything yet and nobody I've spoken to knows of this problem. Is there a solution yet?
If it's widespread though, I'd guess it's a driver issue, these 258.96 drivers do seem somewhat buggy to say the least.
The only other solution I can think of is to flash the card's BIOS so that the idle and 3d speeds are the same, then it can't downclock.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
No really, people are complaining about stuttering in the game. I have not tested to see if it's caused by flip-flopping GPU speeds, but it certainly could be the issue.

See this thread here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1540983

You would have seen it yourself, except that the thread title sucks.

Apparently, a fix is on the way, but don't expect it until two driver releases down the line (the drivers in beta testing right now are too late to apply the fix).
 
Thanks, I did read that thread but downclocking wasn't mentioned either in the issues, or Nvidia's response, so I didn't think the issue was the same as mine.
If anyone is experiencing stuttering in BC2 or other games with a 460, perhaps they could check and see if their card is downclocking too?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Thanks, I did read that thread but downclocking wasn't mentioned either in the issues, or Nvidia's response, so I didn't think the issue was the same as mine.
If anyone is experiencing stuttering in BC2 or other games with a 460, perhaps they could check and see if their card is downclocking too?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I'll be happy to do that for you, but it's going to have to wait until tomorrow. I'm leaving for the evening shortly :D

I will say that I haven't seen the problems in any other game.
 
Cool, it'd be good to know the results whenever you do have time to test.
I wish I had some time to install some of my other games and test, I might get time sometime soon but by then the issue will probably be fixed, heh.
 
i dont have the issue with gtx460 with 258.96 drivers, used msi afterburner to watch it. gpu usage seems very spiky but the gpu clock remains maxed while playing BFBC2 online. p35 chipset q6600@3.3.
 
Back
Top