GTX280 to GTX285 for $20~?

Sojuuk

2[H]4U
Bought my GTX280 about 2 weeks ago and paid $379.99.
GTX285 is $389.99 so a step-up with evga would probably cost me $20.

for 20 bucks why not? you already paid out the butt for the gtx280 so why not go ahead and grab the gtx285 for a little more.

Yeah I bought my GTX 260 Core 16 Superclocked for 349.99 so I'm getting the 285 for about $40.

for you guys it makes sense because you already spent a crapload for your current cards. I just cant justify these prices cause the are twice what I paid for my gtx260. I would like something faster but no way in hell am I paying that much more money for a relatively small improvement.

Damn, you guys dont wait for a discount or rebate huh. As for the OP, I would go and step up so you have the latest and greatest. But then again, you can wait till almost the last couple of days and maybe....just maybe the GTX 295 will drop in price and you can upgrade to that for a bit more money. Good luck.

Get the GTX 285, $20 is nothing. You'll need 2x6-pin connectors, rather than one 6-pin and one 8-pin so that should be nice. The 285s are clocking pretty well too, so 10-15% extra for $20 isn't bad at all.

for 20 bucks why not? you already paid out the butt for the gtx280 so why not go ahead and grab the gtx285 for a little more.

$380 is really out the ass? I consider anything in the range of 300-400 to be the right price to pay for graphics.

[H]adouken;1033602733 said:
Get the GTX 285, $20 is nothing. You'll need 2x6-pin connectors, rather than one 6-pin and one 8-pin so that should be nice. The 285s are clocking pretty well too, so 10-15% extra for $20 isn't bad at all.
the max overclocks are NOT much better than the standard gtx280. overclock both the gtx280 and gtx285 to their max and you are looking at less than 5% difference in most cases.

$380 is really out the ass? I consider anything in the range of 300-400 to be the right price to pay for graphics.
it is out the ass compared to the deals that were around over the last couple of weeks for a gtx280.

heck when i get my rebate i will have paid much less than half of that for my gtx260.

the max overclocks are NOT much better than the standard gtx280. overclock both the gtx280 and gtx285 to their max and you are looking at less than 5% difference in most cases.

while we're talking about this, my current gtx280 wont even run at gtx285 speeds.

i ordered a gtx260 55nm at the same time and both seem to be VERY poor overclockers. The gtx260(265 they need to update the name scheme for this.) BARELY runs at stock settings actually anything over and it errors like crazy and crashes.

while we're talking about this, my current gtx280 wont even run at gtx285 speeds.

i ordered a gtx260 55nm at the same time and both seem to be VERY poor overclockers. The gtx260(265 they need to update the name scheme for this.) BARELY runs at stock settings actually anything over and it errors like crazy and crashes.
none of the gtx260, gtx280 and their derivatives seem very consistent in overclocking. my card was factory overclocked and I read where many people even had to turn those clocks down. yet plenty of people can push their gtx280 and gtx260 cards over 700. I personally could do 744 on the core but it was no faster in any benchmarks then with it at 710. I could push the memory to right at 2450 with no issues. I settled on a much milder overclock that you see in my sig becasue i dont like having my hardware any where near its limits on a daily basis.

why not read the reviews?

oh, I don't know...maybe becuase this was sort of a pro's and con's thing going on here...and if we wanted to simply reply with read the reviews you could have written that as the first reply to this thread and then asked for it to be locked...
My reason for stating that was to point out that there are other benefits to the 285 over the 280 besides speeds...

My reason for stating that was to point out that there are other benefits to the 285 over the 280 besides speeds...

and here on this forum we assume people know them already. I have already read the gtx285 review in its entirety and I was just checking what other people would do in my situation.

although I think this all may be moot as I am likely to just upgrade to a gtx295 towards the end of my step-up period (71 days). If I went with that now I would need to pay about $140 doesn't seem like a terrible deal either really (assuming it works fine with a P45 intel chipset).

oh, I don't know...maybe becuase this was sort of a pro's and con's thing going on here...and if we wanted to simply reply with read the reviews you could have written that as the first reply to this thread and then asked for it to be locked...
well my point was if you read the reviews you would see that there isnt much difference so its not really a big deal. it seems to vary from about 12-15 watts and basically runs at the same temps as the gtx280 depending on what review you look at. does that really sway someone one way or another?

I'll agree that upgrading from a GTX280 to a GTX285 is a marginal improvement at best. Honestly, I love my GTX 260 Core 216 superclocked...it'll OC to 700mhz+, but I think clock speed only does so much. In my case, I upgraded my monitor to a 2048 x 1152 widescreen, so a little more power would help. I only have 15 days left on my step-up (which is partially why it looks like I paid alot for my card..also I may not have sent in for the rebate ;)) ... but I think the 285 (oc'd even) will be a decent boost over what I have ...plus $40 is totally worth it.

But they do overclock better and the 285 runs cooler and draws less power doing it. For $20, it's a no brainer since it's likely his step-up period will have run out by the time the next high end Nvidia card comes along. The 295 is probably a better way to go if he's actually just looking for a speed upgrade alone, but it's going to cost $100+ more to buy it and you have to deal with SLI which some people don't like.

But they do overclock better and the 285 runs cooler and draws less power doing it. For $20, it's a no brainer since it's likely his step-up period will have run out by the time the next high end Nvidia card comes along. The 295 is probably a better way to go if he's actually just looking for a speed upgrade alone, but it's going to cost $100+ more to buy it and you have to deal with SLI which some people don't like.
yeah I already said for 20 bucks he might as well.

Hum, i have a question, and i didnt want to start a new thread as it is a little redundant...
I have a GTX 260 Core 216 Sc, 40 days left to step up and i might get a GTX 285. I paid 332 $can on newegg.ca.

My question is, how does EVGA know/verify the real price i paid for my card ? i mean, i paid 332 $can, but the price they want me to enter is in US $, can i just claim i paid 332$us ?

I'm glad I read this...luckily the receipt for my GTX 260 Core 216 was in my wallet. Now the only thing I need to do is hunt down the cover to that little port that sits by the power connectors...at some point it randomly fell off...hopefully it's in my old case or in my closet where my computer is.

I have all the rest of the card's accessories / cds / etc. If that little cover's missing, will they give me crap about it? Hope not.

Anyway..decided to step-up to the GTX 295 instead of the 285. Screw it..I'm not a poor college student anymore :)

Hum, i have a question, and i didnt want to start a new thread as it is a little redundant...
I have a GTX 260 Core 216 Sc, 40 days left to step up and i might get a GTX 285. I paid 332 $can on newegg.ca.

My question is, how does EVGA know/verify the real price i paid for my card ? i mean, i paid 332 $can, but the price they want me to enter is in US $, can i just claim i paid 332$us ?

isn't the canadian $ stronger than US?

isn't the canadian $ stronger than US?
Not currently, its about $1.25CAD = $1.00USD right now.

And yes, step-up for $20, no questions asked. I'd say if the step up was $75 or less there would be no question it'd be worth it.

I'm glad I read this...luckily the receipt for my GTX 260 Core 216 was in my wallet. Now the only thing I need to do is hunt down the cover to that little port that sits by the power connectors...at some point it randomly fell off...hopefully it's in my old case or in my closet where my computer is.

I have all the rest of the card's accessories / cds / etc. If that little cover's missing, will they give me crap about it? Hope not.

They'll charge you for missing accessories, probably not much.

after reading all these posts telling him to do it, i feel tempted...it's kind of embarrassing but the main reason I don't want to step up to a 285 (for about 15 bucks) is because I hate how the card looks without the backplate...maybe i should get over it and just pull the trigger. Then again I'd be without a card for several days. No high-end graphics = emotional pain :(

LOL I feel you the back plate is nice, but its not necessary or cost effective anymore.

I'm going to step up from my vanilla GTX260 192 for $120. I was tempted to go 295, but I decided I'd go the cheaper route now and wait for the next refresh.

You can't step up if you got a free upgraded video card from evga correct?

(I RMA'd my 8800 Ultra twice, recieved a 260 instead the second time)

I'm not sure, but I would think Its still 90 days from your receipt purchase date. If you bought a 8800 Ultra within 90 days and RMA'd it twice I would still think you could step up even if you got a 260 as a replacement. You would still only get what you paid for the 8800 when you trade in the 260. Thats how I think it should work, not necessarily how it does though.

Ye, my bday is rolling in June. I rma'd my 4850x2 due to driver issues and overall instabliity so my xmas money from 08 plus bday money this june will be pooled together for the best gpu out in june gt212 or i might even pool farther till next xmas and get gt300 and another $300 worth of stuff DX11 ftw. To answer your question i think you have to send in proof of purchase papers from where you bought it.

Well I found the cover for the digital audio port..it was in my old case. So now I definitely have all the accessories and receipt and all. Too bad I'm like #106 in the queue. I finished the last 2/3 of Crysis Warhead @ 1080p today and frame rates ranged from about 29fps to the mid 40s..mostly in the 30s. But it never dropped below say 25fps. This is with everything set to 'gamer' except shaders which were set to 'enthusiast'. Not too shabby.

Back