GTX280 reaching 90C at load

EvilNando

Limp Gawd
So just for curiosity I fired up GPU-z and played some UT3 for a while

after coming back to windows I saw the GPU temps where near 90C , my last card an8800gtx maxed at 70C

besides this temperature issue the card makes some kind of noise

Are these issues a warning of imminent gpu failure?

I just put in my new GTX 280 lastnight, played Crysis for about 30 min and checked my GPU temp, It was at 60c. 90c seems a pretty high, though I am not sure what the average temp is.

Try upping up the fan speed, and maybe improve your airflow a bit. 90C is a bit hot, and I don't think UT3 is very demanding. Try running Furmark, if it reaches 105C, you have a bad one.

fan speed sets itself to 100% when playing ut3

ill try vantage and see how it goes

Im tired of dealing with defective brand new hardware, first 680i then this WTF is going on with nvidia

So just for curiosity I fired up GPU-z and played some UT3 for a while

after coming back to windows I saw the GPU temps where near 90C , my last card an8800gtx maxed at 70C

besides this temperature issue the card makes some kind of noise

Are these issues a warning of imminent gpu failure?

90º C is high, but not out of normality for a GTX 280. You can't really compare it to the 8800 GTX, because it features twice as many transistors.
You should only be concerned if you break the 100º C mark, which is too close for the core slowdown threshold. So to answer your question directly: No! A GPU failure is not imminent, just because you hit 90º C under load.

fan speed sets itself to 100% when playing ut3

ill try vantage and see how it goes

Im tired of dealing with defective brand new hardware, first 680i then this WTF is going on with nvidia

Your card isn't defective, just because it hit 90º...That's a pretty normal temp under load. Obviously it's wise to keep good airflow in your case.

I guess ill be heading back to the store this weekend
280gtx.png

Yup. Steer clear of the nvidia chipsets too. I got a P45 Gigabyte mobo and bought a used 280 after checking with the owner that the temps were normal.

My first 280 got up to 106 in Furmark. There were no visual problems with it (aka artifacting etc) But I was not happy with it getting so hot, so I sent it back to BFG. They sent me a new one and it gets up to 80 at most under Furmark. I suggest if you aren't happy with it to RMA it and hope that you get a new one that fairs better in the heat department. Who makes your card?

Yes, I have heard of BFG gtx280 having heat issues and that you need to RMA it if you do.

Good luck wiht your second one when you get it lol.

Yes, I have heard of BFG gtx280 having heat issues and that you need to RMA it if you do.

Good luck wiht your second one when you get it lol.
it's not BFG it's nvidia. the 260s and 280s both had higher than normal %'s of defective cards. my evga 260 came DOA and the evga rep told me they had a ton of def DOA GTXs and others that ran too hot. he said if your CPU temps go over 100 C, while not deadly in itself, it means the card is def. he said the chips were designed to run about 105 or 100C max but there's no way a new card should be running over 90 under normal circustances. one of the symptoms of the wave of def cards was >100C load temps.

it's not BFG it's nvidia. the 260s and 280s both had higher than normal %'s of defective cards. my evga 260 came DOA and the evga rep told me they had a ton of def DOA GTXs and others that ran too hot. he said if your CPU temps go over 100 C, while not deadly in itself, it means the card is def. he said the chips were designed to run about 105 or 100C max but there's no way a new card should be running over 90 under normal circustances. one of the symptoms of the wave of def cards was >100C load temps.

oh thanks for clearing it up :)

I thought it was only BFG that was limited to this

Back