GTX vs Radeon advice?

Great info. I went for 580 with 260 physx rather than amd. I'm running dual display and they work perfectly.
I would have gone amd if I was going for 3 display.

One display -> nVidia GTX 560 Ti (quieter, better OC potential)
Multple display -> AMD Radeon HD6950 (more VRAM, potential to unlock shaders)

imo, for your specified price bracket.

I'll go for the 6950....as I saw that most if it can be unlocked so it'll be more powerfull than the 560Ti.

And I also used several ATI card with no problem until now, on gaming.

The AMD 6870 or 6950 1GB should be fine for the resolution you are playing at even if you upgrade the monitor. The 6950 does better in games like Metro 2033 and Aliens vs Predator in FPS over the 6870. I'm not counting out the Nvidia 560 as an option, however in that price range the 6950 preforms better. As far as problems with either video cards it's going to happen either through drivers or hardware. I've had a lot of good luck with ATI/AMD while someone else might have a terrible time getting it working. You will probably be happy with anything in the price range you mentioned unless you are maxing out resolution or Eyefinity.

The card is 10.75 inches long, just barely shy of 11-inches so break out that tape.

I'll do that as soon as I get home to see what I come up with, that would be a total bummer to order a card to realize it wouldn't fit lol. I wonder if the card varies in size depending on the make too.

The AMD 6870 or 6950 1GB should be fine for the resolution you are playing at even if you upgrade the monitor. The 6950 does better in games like Metro 2033 and Aliens vs Predator in FPS over the 6870. I'm not counting out the Nvidia 560 as an option, however in that price range the 6950 preforms better. As far as problems with either video cards it's going to happen either through drivers or hardware. I've had a lot of good luck with ATI/AMD while someone else might have a terrible time getting it working. You will probably be happy with anything in the price range you mentioned unless you are maxing out resolution or Eyefinity.

Yeah from what I have gathered, everything has it's own issues. Heard plenty of pro's and con's from both sides, right now I am most likely going with the ATI/AMD 6950. I don't have super high resolutions so I don't have to worry about maxing that out and if I went to any kind of multi-monitor set up, it would prolly just be 2 monitors as it were.

Multimonitor setup is AMAZING for raiding. You won't regret your purchase :)

What's it look like, does the split between the screens cause any kind of annoyance? I'm very interested to see how it would look :)

6950 for sure. With this if you EVER wanted to you could go triple monitor display no problems with this single card where as with Nvidia you would need to buy another $250 card to do so. I always look at my buys on how I can use them in the feature.

Xfx just dropped the price of their 6950 to $289 at newegg, lifetime warranty best card out there, can unlock it to be a 6970 if you wanted. The 6950 is the best buy at the time of this post.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150518&cm_re=6950-_-14-150-518-_-Product

1366 x 768 resolution on a 19 inch monitor (It's also a TV), but I may move up to a 21-23 inch (dont know the res on that yet due to not owning it lol)

you don't need to upgrade at all then. save your money for a better screen

you don't need to upgrade at all then. save your money for a better screen

Upgrade what? My card? I don't have a video card yet, that was the point of this thread was to get feedback between the 2 I was comparing.

Hey guys, doesn't Win 7 support multiple heterogeneous video cards? That would be a lot cheaper solution for 3 monitors.

Hey guys, doesn't Win 7 support multiple heterogeneous video cards? That would be a lot cheaper solution for 3 monitors.

in desktop mode yes. you still need a good 5XXX or 6XXX card for gaming with 3 monitors (eyefinity) though.

I read it as you had it already.

If you had read the thread, you would have seen him say elsewhere that this was a new build. The wording is definitely odd there, but the meaning was that he was considering a 6870 but decided a 6950 would be more appropriate.

Anyways, I say go with the 6950, primarily for less hassle in the future. If you do get a higher resolution monitor or if you do decide to add some monitors, it would be the path that involves the least additional upgrades. If you went with a 560, you would have to buy a second 560 for using three monitors. And if you didn't buy an Sli board during the build, you would have to switch those. Actually a similar boat to what I'm in at the moment, since I have a GTX 285 and crossfire motherboard...

But on a side note, just about anything tears up a 1366x768 resolution. I have a friend who still runs just about everything maxed on the pc I built him about two years ago, and it's with a relatively measly 9600 gt.

If you had read the thread, you would have seen him say elsewhere that this was a new build. The wording is definitely odd there, but the meaning was that he was considering a 6870 but decided a 6950 would be more appropriate.

Anyways, I say go with the 6950, primarily for less hassle in the future. If you do get a higher resolution monitor or if you do decide to add some monitors, it would be the path that involves the least additional upgrades. If you went with a 560, you would have to buy a second 560 for using three monitors. And if you didn't buy an Sli board during the build, you would have to switch those. Actually a similar boat to what I'm in at the moment, since I have a GTX 285 and crossfire motherboard...

But on a side note, just about anything tears up a 1366x768 resolution. I have a friend who still runs just about everything maxed on the pc I built him about two years ago, and it's with a relatively measly 9600 gt.

Thank you for clarifying my bad wording again :), and to also add I checked up on my current monitor (it's a Viore 19 inch TV w\ VGA\HDMI outputs) when ran under computer settings it has a max resolution of 1280 x 1040. I don't think it makes a huge difference in these circumstances, but I thought I'd at least give the update there as well. I also just found out that my original plans for a i5-2500K are kinda shot too :(. Apparently there are issues with that and the P67 motherboards. Very disappointing, as now I don't know what I want to do. NewEgg doesn't supply either of those anymore. I was hoping to start ordering all my parts by the 22nd of February and have my PC all built by March 22nd when I finally get home. Anyone have any ideas in that case as well?

Back