GTX Titan suggests a minimum 600w, but...

RangerXML

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm interested in putting a Shuttle system together for my next build and that is a max of 500w. Anyone have any experience with this? I would be limited to 1 HDD, 1 BD-ROM and no dedicated PhysX card. So its not like I'd be putting my stacks of HDDs into this case (my prior system has along the lines of 8TB worth of storage). I saw people putting together GTX690 systems in the Shuttle SZ77R5, which I also thought was 600w min?

My desktop currently has a 950w PSU.

A quality 500W unit should be ample. NVIDIA's minimum suggested wattage is fairly conservative because it has to be, not because it's the least you can get comfortably away with.

What wonderfield said although I will add that if you look at some reviews of the card some will state the min. amperage required. This is different from the wattage rating as it will say something like +54A on 12v etc.

Basically better power supplies have a stronger amperange rating.

I wish they would have better specifications on the PSU on their site.

If you have a Gold/Plat rated power supply you should be fine.

For example, my AX750 is rated Gold and specs list it as 750 watts, but it can actually output max around 800-850.

I'm interested in putting a Shuttle system together for my next build and that is a max of 500w. Anyone have any experience with this? I would be limited to 1 HDD, 1 BD-ROM and no dedicated PhysX card. So its not like I'd be putting my stacks of HDDs into this case (my prior system has along the lines of 8TB worth of storage). I saw people putting together GTX690 systems in the Shuttle SZ77R5, which I also thought was 600w min?

My desktop currently has a 950w PSU.

If you are going to spend $1,000 dlls on a video card, do yourself a favor and buy a quality PSU.

Srsly dude, I normally use quality PSU its not exactly left in my hands with a Shuttle (I want to build a nice LAN box again). As I said, I've seen the Shuttle SZ77R5 with a GTX 690 online, and they have power requirements as a min of 650w from what I'm seeing now by looking up the listings on the Egg. It doesn't give a lot of info on the Shuttle site regarding the PSU, but it does say its 500w 80 plus Bronze :(

I am running [email protected], 2xSSD, hdd, Titan on a single 520W Seasonic just fine so far. I've been meaning to bust out the Kill-a-watt on it to see if it's gone too far and needs a PSU upgrade.

I am running [email protected], 2xSSD, hdd, Titan on a single 520W Seasonic just fine so far. I've been meaning to bust out the Kill-a-watt on it to see if it's gone too far and needs a PSU upgrade.
I'd just look at the voltages across the different rails in software. If they're within spec, you're golden. If they're falling out of bounds, it's time to invest in a new power supply.

Current plan:
Shuttle SZ77R5
LG Black 14X BD-R
16GB RAM (2x8GB)
Intel Core i7-3770K
WD 2TB Black SATA 3.0 HDD
Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan

Gonna build it over a few months, gonna be my main machine/LAN to go box.

The SG08 has a bronze rated 600w PSU. I'm drawing around 350-390 from the wall according to kill-a-watt in heaven/tomb raider/3dmark.

So lets say 400. 500 should be fine?

Specs are 3570k @ 4.3 and oced titan +100 core/+150 mem/+38mv.

The SG08 has a bronze rated 600w PSU. I'm drawing around 350-390 from the wall according to kill-a-watt in heaven/tomb raider/3dmark.

So lets say 400. 500 should be fine?

Specs are 3570k @ 4.3 and oced titan +100 core/+150 mem/+38mv.

Your computer is probably using even less since the draw at the wall doesn't account for the efficiency calculation done at the power supply end.

Computers don't use AC power.

The system I'm testing at work has an overclocked i7 3960x, ssd, 2 10k rpm hard drives, and custom liquid cooling. Testing with 1 titan, it's pulling around 515 watts from the wall in heaven. Assuming this psu is 90% efficient, that means actual output is somewhere around 465 watts. Based on this, it should be fine. But like others have said, check those amperage ratings.

Your computer is probably using even less since the draw at the wall doesn't account for the efficiency calculation done at the power supply end..
Correct. For an 80 Plus Bronze unit, multiply consumption at the wall by 0.83 or so, and there's your actual component power draw, give or take.

Correct. For an 80 Plus Bronze unit, multiply consumption at the wall by 0.83 or so, and there's your actual component power draw, give or take.

Yep when high efficiency meant something in European countries with high energy rates. Here is more of a marketing ploy. Thats not to say that the testing doesn't ensure good units are certified. There is some damn good 85 plus units, but the efficiency is more a cost savings measure, except a computer doesn't use a whole lotta energy for the average home consumer.

Efficiency means less heat in my room in the summer.
thumb.gif

Back