• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GTX 980 Ti temp issues

oc-co

n00b
Joined
Sep 6, 2017
Messages
15
This will be a long thread, and while I will try to not post useless info I'd appreciate it if anyone willing to help would be able to read everything to understand my situation to know what I'm dealing with.

A few weeks ago, I've got my MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming (https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-980-Ti-GAMING-6G.html) card and immediately once I got it, I fired up the games that I played to see how it performs @ 1440p. The card is excellent, it provides very high FPS (60+) in many games, boost itself to 1350 MHz when any game is opened, is quiet etc... But ofcourse there is a problem, and that problem are temperatures.

When the fan is at automatic mode (no custom fan curve), the temps of the cards were at 54-57C, when a game is opened and played for awhile the temps get very fast to the temp limit (83C). I posted this in another forum and was recommended to improve my cooling and reapply TIM. I do both things by buying additional 3 fans (all intake 2x front, 1x bottom) and disassembling my GPU and reapplying the TIM (X method was used here). After all of that was done, I can say that the temps while they did drop didn't drop by much at both idle and load (3-5C).

After this I still didn't like the 80C temps and have gone and set my own custom profile (https://imgur.com/C49Z4fO). Now the temps are at 37-40C at idle and 70-77C at load, and also the worst part about this is that the fans are spinning 95-100% at those temps and it's still in high 70's ?!?! Why ? .

This is the temp issue which I'm talking about, why would it require almost 100% of fan speed just to keep the temps at high 70's ? I have to mention that I tried to OC my card, and managed to go up to +115 on the core speed in Afterburner, but the temps then rise to 80-84C with fans still spinning at 100%.

Also me taking the side panel off doesn't change temps at all.

I hope anyone might know how to help me solve this issue, as this is the only thing that is stopping me from gaming normally since I'm too much worried about this.

Any questions on any info which I've missed, please ask.
Also my ASIC is 77.5% , I'm on stock cooling (Twin Frozr) and stock BIOS.

My specs:

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.5 GHz
GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming Edition
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: Patriot 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 MHz
CASE: Fractal Design Define R5
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB HD103SJ
PSU: SuperFlower Leadex Gold 650W

Thanks.
 
Ambient temperature in your house? Also, what's your CPU temperature like? Is it high as well?
 
This will be a long thread, and while I will try to not post useless info I'd appreciate it if anyone willing to help would be able to read everything to understand my situation to know what I'm dealing with.

A few weeks ago, I've got my MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming (https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-980-Ti-GAMING-6G.html) card and immediately once I got it, I fired up the games that I played to see how it performs @ 1440p. The card is excellent, it provides very high FPS (60+) in many games, boost itself to 1350 MHz when any game is opened, is quiet etc... But ofcourse there is a problem, and that problem are temperatures.

When the fan is at automatic mode (no custom fan curve), the temps of the cards were at 54-57C, when a game is opened and played for awhile the temps get very fast to the temp limit (83C). I posted this in another forum and was recommended to improve my cooling and reapply TIM. I do both things by buying additional 3 fans (all intake 2x front, 1x bottom) and disassembling my GPU and reapplying the TIM (X method was used here). After all of that was done, I can say that the temps while they did drop didn't drop by much at both idle and load (3-5C).

After this I still didn't like the 80C temps and have gone and set my own custom profile (https://imgur.com/C49Z4fO). Now the temps are at 37-40C at idle and 70-77C at load, and also the worst part about this is that the fans are spinning 95-100% at those temps and it's still in high 70's ?!?! Why ? .

This is the temp issue which I'm talking about, why would it require almost 100% of fan speed just to keep the temps at high 70's ? I have to mention that I tried to OC my card, and managed to go up to +115 on the core speed in Afterburner, but the temps then rise to 80-84C with fans still spinning at 100%.

Also me taking the side panel off doesn't change temps at all.

I hope anyone might know how to help me solve this issue, as this is the only thing that is stopping me from gaming normally since I'm too much worried about this.

Any questions on any info which I've missed, please ask.
Also my ASIC is 77.5% , I'm on stock cooling (Twin Frozr) and stock BIOS.

My specs:

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.5 GHz
GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming Edition
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: Patriot 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 MHz
CASE: Fractal Design Define R5
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB HD103SJ
PSU: SuperFlower Leadex Gold 650W

Thanks.

One, remove all OC and go to pure stock settings on the card until this is resolved. Especially any voltage or power changes.

First suspect would be a bad mount. Pull the block off and see if the TIM is spread properly. The fact that you got an improvement when you swapped says there might be issue there. It might be something simple like a warped or concave heat plate on the cooler. If that's the case, you should see it in the TIM spread. That card's heatsink is one of the direct-contact types, so that's a likely source of problem.

Second suspect would be a damaged heatsink. Maybe a crack in one of the many heatpipes? Check them all closely in good lighting, especially the bends and see if you find any cracks or damaged welds.

The reviews I've seen for that card say around 33-35C for idle, and 75C-ish for full load...if that helps with the comparison.
 
Ambient temperature in your house? Also, what's your CPU temperature like? Is it high as well?

Somewhere around 27C.

CPU is fine, sitting at around 50C on load.

One, remove all OC and go to pure stock settings on the card until this is resolved. Especially any voltage or power changes.

First suspect would be a bad mount. Pull the block off and see if the TIM is spread properly. The fact that you got an improvement when you swapped says there might be issue there. It might be something simple like a warped or concave heat plate on the cooler. If that's the case, you should see it in the TIM spread. That card's heatsink is one of the direct-contact types, so that's a likely source of problem.

Second suspect would be a damaged heatsink. Maybe a crack in one of the many heatpipes? Check them all closely in good lighting, especially the bends and see if you find any cracks or damaged welds.

The reviews I've seen for that card say around 33-35C for idle, and 75C-ish for full load...if that helps with the comparison.

All settings are now at OC, also I never touched voltages when OC-ing.

If I would pull the block off , should I reapply TIM again ?

Also reviews I heard are done at open benchmark and cool rooms, so they might be more cooler than in case.

Thanks again.
 
Somewhere around 27C.

CPU is fine, sitting at around 50C on load.



All settings are now at OC, also I never touched voltages when OC-ing.

If I would pull the block off , should I reapply TIM again ?

Also reviews I heard are done at open benchmark and cool rooms, so they might be more cooler than in case.

Thanks again.

I'd back off any OC until the temps are worked out. Just run it at stock until you can at least get a good baseline for comparison.

If you pull off the block, generally you SHOULD re-apply, but it's not really necessary if you don't mess with anything other than a visual inspection and then get it properly remounted. Of course, in this case, with that type of heat-sink, you're probably going to have to clean off the TIM to really inspect the mounting surface.

If you can't open-bench the card, I'd at least keep the side panel off, and maybe stick a desk fan or something blowing in there to see if it matters.
 
I've run 980TI on test benches, numerous cases, and even with a giant desk fan blow on it. Bottom line, when overclocked, they run hot. Nvidia recommends you limit them to 83C. My main gaming rig has been running an EVGA with stock blower at 1450mhz at 107% power rating at 85C since it launched. After several hundred hours of gaming, it still runs awesome. I did get lucky with exceptional ASIC quality though.
 
I would say from my experience with my evga acx 2 980ti in an evga hadron there is very little room for OC and the temps are very similar on stock settings. But my case has a hard time getting clean air.
 
Ok, I put out my GPU again, the paste seems to have spread good (there are only tiny dots visible without TIM), the temps are still same.
 
Back
Top