GTX 970

gawkgawk

Limp Gawd
Just got a 970, wondering if I should return it for a 980ti to be a little more future proof and not have to SLI with another 970 down the road. Didn't even realize they were coming out a week after I bought this 970....

If you bought an EVGA, you should be eligible for the Step Up program. You just have to pay the difference.

I did buy an EVGA :) I'll have to look into that.

I was thinking about returning it and getting the ASUS one since I read alot about EVGA coil whine, not sure if that rolls to the 980ti cards yet, I can live with my 650ti boost SLI setup for a little longer i guess.

Decisions.............. I put Witcher 3 on max everything with the 970 I wish it was a little smoother still....

How much smoother is double the price worth to you? I was thinking about upgrading my three 970's to three Titan X or 980ti's but can't really justify the extra cost. What I use them for runs smooth (60fps) at 8080x1600 in Surround.

How much smoother is double the price worth to you? I was thinking about upgrading my three 970's to three Titan X or 980ti's but can't really justify the extra cost. What I use them for runs smooth (60fps) at 8080x1600 in Surround.
The VRAM would help in your situation. Baasha on this forum has shown that quite a few games are using 6-10GB of VRAM at 5k, which is just 1.5m more pixels than your Surround resolution. The Titan X and 980 Ti are also 40-50% faster than a 970, so you'll be able to turn up more eye candy. The real question would be: is 12GB of VRAM worth $350 more than 6GB to you, because I think the jump in raw performance is more than worth it at $649 a piece.

What resolution do you intend to play at?

In my experience the 970 is more than enough for lower / standard resolutions like 1080p, while the added VRAM & speed of the 980 / 980ti / titan x will start to make a big difference at higher resolutions like 4k or nv surround.

Personally I always prefer a single card solution to SLI -- it's just a cleaner experience... and I've never actually gone through with 'upgrading' to SLI ... by the time I would it's always made sense to just pick up whatever the latest & greatest is instead.

Dual 980ti will be at least as fast or faster than tri-970. If only because tri-sli scaling sucks.

If you plan to upgrade to SLI then getting the 980 Ti might be a good idea as you get about the same performance without any possible SLI issues. I've already got a 970 SLI setup and I'm pretty happy with it and don't see much point changing it for 980 Ti and paying about 300 euros more just to have a single card. I was considering 980 Ti SLI but would have to get a bigger PSU and that seems to be around 200+ euros more so totally not worth it.

At the moment a single 980 Ti or 970 SLI should be fine for up to 1440p. Above that you would want 980 Ti SLI.

Coming from a guy who has SLI 970's, IMHO, 980ti is well worth it. The performance is similar, cost is roughly similar, no need for a very big PSU or a SLI motherboard, no SLI driver issues (MFAA and DSR) and also 6GB VRAM.

I would definitely make the jump from 1 970 to 980ti at 1440p if given the chance.

$320 US

MSRP of a GTX 970 is $329, while the GTX 980 Ti is $649.

I am just gaming at 1080p right now but I am planning on a 1440 monitor as that will help with my pro tools software on my other windows 7 boot as well as better gaming graphics.

I may just wait till later in the year, get a better card/monitor then just sell this 970 or put it into my other tower in the living room.....

Right now 980ti is an ideal card for 1440p, better C/P than both 980 and 970, and a bigger VRAM to boot.

I put Witcher 3 on max everything with the 970

If the Witcher 3 is the promo that came with your 970, you might have trouble returning the 970 anyway, or your refund might be reduced by the retail price of W3 :(

I'm just gonna sell the 970 later on in the year, bunch of stuff coming out later this year to pick from, give the 980ti time to get ironed out and pick the best one.

Back