GTX 970 Dying - Need Replacement ASAP

Hey guys thanks again for all the great advice - without you I would've likely continued to think it was the GPU.

So I've tried to clean out the ram and also re-arranged and did more general mobo cleaning mostly with an air can - still getting half of the 12GB recognized. But like I mentioned, my games run very well so at least it's a good temporary fix.

Given that Cyber Monday is coming up though, I'm thinking of just getting a CPU/mobo/ram upgrade likely to a Rysen 5 (maybe 7 if the deals are good enough). I think even with the 5, it will still be a decent enough upgrade from my existing i7 920 setup thats clearly on its last legs. Leaning from this experience, I also just plan to go with x2 8GB ram rather than x4 4GB.

Thanks again guys, really, SUCH a huge help.

As a Ryzen R7 owner myself... THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT: Make sure the RAM you get is Ryzen certified, and DDR4-3200 is preferred.

Thanks for the heads up. I plan on doing one of those Newegg CPU + mobo + ram combos so I'm hoping they are making sure the ram is Ryzen certified but I will check since you mentioned it.

Don't mean to veer my own thread so off topic but are the prices between i7 7700k and Ryzen 7 not that big of a gap anymore? I may just stick to Intel and go with a 7700k bundle then since I've always felt Intel had the edge over AMD on gaming and I believe still do from what I've read.

Back