gtx 680 screen blinking

aintz

[H]ard|Gawd
my screen would go black for about a second and go back to normal. using the latest drivers from nvidia. this happens when im just browsing the web and watching youtube. has anybody else experienced this problem?

my screen would go black for about a second and go back to normal. using the latest drivers from nvidia. this happens when im just browsing the web and watching youtube. has anybody else experienced this problem?

Check your event log.. are you getting a "display driver stopped responding and recovered" message?

Take a look at my linked thread. I've conclusively proven that the GPU will not enter the lowest clock possible (324 core, 324 memory) whenever a DisplayPort monitor is being used. The minimum core frequency becomes 549MHz and the memory has to run at full speed and it makes the card run noticeably hotter at idle (non-gaming). It happens even with one monitor so long as that monitor is connected via DisplayPort.

As for the blinking I've never had that problem on my GTX 680, but on the 5870 I experienced frequent blinking associated with a link failure. It could be caused by a bad cable (DisplayPort or DVI).

Check your event log.. are you getting a "display driver stopped responding and recovered" message?

i looked at the logs didnt see a displayer driver crash warning.

im using dvi. never had this issue with my 6990 so its not the monitor or cable.

it doesnt happen often just once a couple hours. sometimes when im surfing and others when im gaming which is slightly annoying.

2ltosbl.jpg

Mine idles just fine, but I do have an issue with the audio becoming garbled at times.

Oops, I got the 2nd card, but in any case, the first where it is plugged in is the same but idling at 43C.

Sounds like a TDR.

I'll check mine when I get home, but I haven't noticed any downclocking problems when running the displayport and I use a ZR30W. I'm currently running 20x30x20 so I will disconnect the two 20s to check for the downclocking problem though I can't remember it running all that much hotter at idle, maybe 38C or so at idle.

so is it a gpu or driver or windows issue?

There are many causes of TDR, ranging from messed up drivers, spyware (!), flaky overclocks, hardware issue of psu/mem/cpu/gpu/mobo/etc ...

First step is set everything to stock settings (cpu/ram), conservative ram timings.
If it still happens, try a bump on cpu and ram voltage. Run memtest.

If it still happens, lower the gpu/mem by couple hundred Mhz each and bump up gpu voltage a notch.

If it still happens, try reseating all of your hardware. Yesterday one guy solved his TDR-every-10-minutes by remounting the cpu HSF -- though I suspect his mobo has a bad solder joint probably, because changing HSF orientation affected his TDR.

If it still happens, try an OS re-install. After that, you start swapping hardware I guess ...

(nVidia also had a bad run of TDR drivers. 275.33 is the only golden driver (non-SLI). Next best one is 295.73 ... of course, those drivers don't support the 600 series.)

Back