GTX 680 In Stock Thread

Why on earth are people patronizing NewEgg when they clearly are not handling $500+ orders properly? If I had $500 of money locked up in a NewEgg stock-count error for days, I'd be pissed. It's one thing if it is a one-off mistake. It is another when it is clearly a system issue they need to fix. You'd think with a few atomic / synchronized operations in their database software they would be able to limit the number of accepted orders exactly to the number of cards :rolleyes:.

I've been ordering from NewEgg for years and they really tend to be great. I was lucky and bought two of 680s the Wednesday before the official launch, I just hit the site at the right time while thry still had them up for sale and snag two then and there and it all went as smoothly as ordering from NewEgg almost has has for me. I can cut them some slack here because they simply don't have the product to handle demand though it does seem their ordering system doesn't handle transaction concurrency particularly well. But again the base problem is simply lack of product, something NewEgg can't control.

i think this is how it works at newegg.

lets say there are about to be twenty 680's available right now and fifty people select it to check out, it will show 680 in the cart for all fifty people, but...............

only the first twenty people who complete the checkout the fastest are sold to.

lets say there are about to be twenty 680's available right now and fifty people select it to check out, it will show 680 in the cart for all fifty people, but...............

It makes sense, yes. But it should be 20 people get their order confirmed, and 30 get a message when they hit 'submit' that their order could not be placed and their CC was not charged.

Instead NewEgg takes all 50 orders, gets to charge $25000+ to various CCs, and then has to go about reversing $15000 in CC charges over the next few days. Really not efficient, and really irks customers. In the meantime those 30 people might (or do) miss out on availability on other GTX 680s at NewEgg or even elsewhere, simply because that $500 might be tied up and they might not be able to afford another $500 in pending charges.

Its asinine and NewEgg could fix this by allowing pre-orders, or enabling proper concurrent transactions.

That's all fine and dandy but they shouldn't charge customers until they know they can fill the order like Amazon

That's all fine and dandy but they shouldn't charge customers until they know they can fill the order like Amazon

Seems like they just have the order of the processing system messed up, either by accident or on purpose. It should go order -> verify inventory (and decrement available number) -> charge card -> process for shipping. Instead it seems like it goes order -> charge card -> verify inventory -> process for shipping. I really can't think of any reason why they seem to be unable to get that right, when pretty much every other etailer can, unless it is done on purpose for some reason. I know they get slammed with crazy volume and concurrent orders, but like you said, they shouldn't be charging cards until they have verified inventory.

It seems like they are more afraid of verifying an order and then finding out the card doesn't clear instead of the other way around. Maybe they don't trust their system to catch a cancelled order because the card didn't go through?

I agree Forceman. If a much smaller operation like evga never does this to customers, and they don't let sales go through if they're out of stock, I see no reason a bigger operation can't.

I agree Forceman. If a much smaller operation like evga never does this to customers, and they don't let sales go through if they're out of stock, I see no reason a bigger operation can't.

eVGA's ordering process is probably much more manual and they probably don't actually charger until they actually ship.

eVGA's ordering process is probably much more manual and they probably don't actually charger until they actually ship.

My bank account was charged the small charge they do and the full amount charge immediately after ordering from them :p

Looks like Zotac's are available at TigerDirect. Given other people's experiences though I would be wary.

UPS fail?

Seems that way, says it went out for delivery in California but says its shipping to where i live. Gave a call to eVGA and they said that everything was fine but it got accidentally scanned or something. Hopefully it gets here by Thursday. Have Friday off!

Still wondering how Galaxy and Gigabyte holds up in the customer service / RMA department. I'd consider a non-eVGA card given they only come with a 3-year warranty now...

Still wondering how Galaxy and Gigabyte holds up in the customer service / RMA department. I'd consider a non-eVGA card given they only come with a 3-year warranty now...

Yeah I am curious myself.

Newegg still has Galaxy in stock but really wanted to hold out for eVGA

Do they do cross shipping? or have to send it back first wait 24-48 hours to test product and then send it back

Doesn't look like it...
Average turnaround time will be 2-3 business working weeks upon receipt (applies to quantities not exceeding 20 pieces)

Do they do cross shipping? or have to send it back first wait 24-48 hours to test product and then send it back
Not that I'm aware of and I don't know of any motherboard or GPU maker who does besides evga. Hell, I don't even think evga does unless you purchase their ear program, but that may have changed with their new warranty.

Doesn't look like it...
Average turnaround time will be 2-3 business working weeks upon receipt (applies to quantities not exceeding 20 pieces)
Of course this is a few years ago, but I've gotten stuff back within a week or so from them.

It looks like eVGA's new warranty terms do have one nice little feature hidden among all the negatives but they do charge you the full $500 and refund it once they receive the RMA card. You don't have to purchase the EAR thing anymore!

Free Cross-Shipment Process
* Collateral for the full retail purchase price of the product is required.
* Return Shipping is paid by the customer.
* Outbound shipping is available free via UPS Ground shipping, you can pay for upgraded shipping at the time of the RMA request.
* A refund for the collateral will be processed within 7-10 business days once the product is received and checked into our warehouse.

It looks like eVGA's new warranty terms do have one nice little feature hidden among all the negatives but they do charge you the full $500 and refund it once they receive the RMA card. You don't have to purchase the EAR thing anymore!

But you have to pay for it and it does not transfer to the replacement card or to the new owner if you sell the card lol

EVGA Advanced RMA (EAR)
A plan can be purchased based on your shipping needs within the first 30 days of purchase.
A prepaid ground shipping label is included with all shipments to ensure that all of the shipping is covered.
Expedited shipping options are available including 2nd day, overnight, and Saturday Delivery options.
Credit card information is needed for this process, but we do not charge any collateral for the replacement.*
The plan is available for one use and can be purchased again on a replacement product within 10 days of receiving it.

EAR is completely optional even if you do want cross shipping. If you've got $500 free on a CC you can just use that as collateral. No need to fork over additional money with EAR anymore.

EAR is completely optional even if you do want cross shipping. If you've got $500 free on a CC you can just use that as collateral. No need to fork over additional money with EAR anymore.

Yes, but you have to pay for it, and it drops off on the replacement or if you sell the card. How much is it? $30? lol

Edit: Wait, so you can do an advanced exchange without EAR, so long as you put up full collateral???

EAR = free shipping both ways

eVGAs new warranty policy = you have to pay shipping BACK to evga...but evga sends you a card first, unlike before

EAR = free shipping both ways

eVGAs new warranty policy = you have to pay shipping BACK to evga...but evga sends you a card first, unlike before

Wow so EAR is even more useless than before... I misunderstood nights post above, thanks!

Wow so EAR is even more useless than before...

yeah kinda....cuz now with the revised warranty, they send you the card first...so theres no more down time, which is a huge plus....you do have to pay shipping back though...but most people don't mind, considering UPS ground like $10 to anywhere in the USA really...the fact that you get an RMA first, offsets the shipping costs IMO

EAR used to be good...but now its even more ehhh with the new warranty in place

Shoot...if no other card vendor offers cross shipping I suppose my opinion on eVGA's warranty is going to turn around again. Maybe I will end up buying an eVGA GTX 680, slapping a 10-year warranty on it, and laughing all the while my GPU kicks any console's ass for the next 10-years :D. Can't wait to see what the GTX 680 FTW edition is going to cost. Nice looking cooler, a few additional power phases, and higher clocks to offset my desire to avoid manual overclocking. Not to mention I just learned you can attach 4 displays to one card -- that's awesome since I plan on installing a TV in my office some day.

Well folks it looks like Newegg strikes again. My 680 SC order is still in the "order verification" stage (since yesterday at 3:30PM PST). Newegg sucks ass. They should just cancel the damn order so I can try to order it somewhere else. Instead they leave my damn order in limbo. :(

Well folks it looks like Newegg strikes again. My 680 SC order is still in the "order verification" stage (since yesterday at 3:30PM PST). Newegg sucks ass. They should just cancel the damn order so I can try to order it somewhere else. Instead they leave my damn order in limbo. :(

Hmm my 680 SC is still under Packaging status since minutes after my CC was charged yesterday.

Can I, uh, get that back from you? :p or you can send 500 dollars to me, comes with a free Nigerian Prince offer as well.

Does that Nigerian Prince offer the same deal he emailed me about a few weeks ago? I guess I'll take the 4.5 Million dollar transfer he promised after all. It must suck in Nigeria... everyone is a rich prince...

:rolleyes:

Anyone order from Tigerdirect before?

I see they have a few cards in, but is it really in stock? Will they just take my money and hold it for a while?

Has anyone who ordered from Tigerdirect got the card? Was it shipped properly in good packaging?

Nothing wrong with the galaxy especially as ALL of the reference models are exactly the same.

Only reason I want to go EVGA is can do cross shipping, don't think galaxy can do that.

I have some time to wait it out...I am not building my system until end of April when ivy is released so for now if I do get the card great...but it will be bottlenecked by my E8400..LOL

I'm going to give up on trying to order a GTX 680. All this nonsense with these online vendors is stressing me out! :mad: I'll try again in May.

Back