GTX 680 + 8800 GT for PhysX ?

killer_dk

Weaksauce
will it make any diffidence in performance for PhysX enable games using a 8800 GT 512 MB ?

You will lose performance in the end because the 680 will be waiting for the much slower 8800 to finish it's calculations.

Is that true though? I've never seen any articles stating that. 8800 would just be doing physics calcs and nothing to do with graphics. Please point me to a tech article that states this as true.

I've actually tried this. I ran arkham city with a 580 and a 8800 GTX. (Physx set to high) Frame rates where much higher when I took the 8800 GTX out of the picture. Also, the larger problem is that there are very view games that take advantage of a physx, so having a dedicated physx card is kind of a waste.

The right card can definitely help with PhysX. However, an 8800 is not the right card for you 680. I've run my own tests with both an 8800gt and a 8800gts with my 570 and they both slow it down pretty significantly. That 680 is plenty powerful to handle its own PhysX

I kept my 8800GT from an old build through the last 3 graphics card upgrades, thinking that some day I would throw it in for PhysX. When I finally did, I found the stupid fan on that thing was so loud and annoying that I just couldn't take it.

What about a GTX 460, the 768Mb version, I have one of them lying around somewhere, would that be good enough for physx combined with a GTX 680?

I have a GTS 250 that I paired with a GTX570 and I can promise you that the 250 did better at PhysX than the 570 did by itself. In Batman AA it was a full 5-6 FPS faster in the benchmark and it's even more in Arkham City.
My 680 should be arriving sometime today and I'll probably give it a try with that card (assuming I can't get 60FPS with PhysX on high) as well.

Back