GTX 670 randomly dropping frames [120hz]

WeApOn

n00b
Update: Uploaded a video to showcase what is happening: http://www.sendspace.com/file/xz2303

Hello,

I have been experiencing what seems like a frame drop, or frame stutter. Initially I thought that changing VSync to OFF would fix the issue, but it was still happening -- just less obviously. With VSync ON it was very apparent because the loss of frame would result in my PC switching from 120hz to 60hz since it couldn't maintain over 120hz for that moment.

This is happening in multiple programs, even VERY low-detail games or blur testing applications that I KNOW I could maintain 120fps in. For example: it is happening on the title screen of Metro:LL. I will move my mouse in a continuous circle around the screen, and every other second it will get 'stuck' and then stagger back.

I have tried many things and I need to think of a fresh approach to try and figure out what is going on. I'd like to hope it is not a video card issue, but that seems to be the common denominator now.

I'd love some ideas or suggestions -- it has worn me down and I am unsure what else to try at this point.

Last edited:
I'm drawing a blank on what the part is called atm, but the IC in the monitor primarily responsible for refreshing the screen sounds like it might be overheating a bit. With summer approaching, your ambient temps have probably gone up leaving you less cooling capacity.

I've only had this happen once before and throwing a small heatsink and fan over the part I mentioned fixed it in my case but YMMV.

I did take a look at the temps, and they seem to be normal. Additionally, this is ALWAYS happening. I can start my computer up right now, boot into just about any game, and will experience the issue right away.

Is there any chance there could be damage to my video card?

I've changed so many software settings at this point, I'm out of ideas.

Uploaded a video showcasing what is happening. I have vsync on, running a program that I should obviously be able to maintain 120fps in, and you can see the frame stutter. The car should be moving smoothly across the screen, but it looks like the guy is pumping the breaks every other second.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xz2303

Would love some suggestions or ideas, totally stumped.

adaptive vsync issue?

your video cable? what type of connection are you using? have another cable to test with just for sake of eliminating the problem?

What monitor are you using?

And why are there two threads about the same thing?

adaptive vsync issue?

your video cable? what type of connection are you using? have another cable to test with just for sake of eliminating the problem?

I was thinking about the cable -- but it happens on multiple monitors. It's DVI-D with an extender on it.

What monitor are you using?

And why are there two threads about the same thing?

It happens on multiple monitors, but my main monitor is ASUS VG248QE - 144hz.

And I explained in my last post on the other thread why I made a new thread -- the title and information in the beginning was misleading when I learned more about the issue. It's a frame dropping issue as opposed to a monitor one.

Back