GTX 670 or 680

Kainzo

Gawd
So... I'm doing a system upgrade. Currently, I'm using a GTX 480 on a 1920x1080 resolution. I'm really not happy about the heat/power draw.

I'm considering the 470 - seeing that it has really good real world benches and much less "this card blew up right out of the box!" reviews (from what I read)

If you were in my position - what would you get (price isn't a huge factor but I much prefer stability)

From what I've read if choosing a 670 the non reference models are the ones to get. The problem is this brings the cost to within $70 or so of a 680.

Since you said cost isn't a concern I would spend the extra and buy a 680. The 670s can reach stock 680 speeds but it takes a pretty high overclock to get there. You won't second guess buying the best.

OTOH you would probably be happy with either one.

Between the 670 and 680 I would say go for the 670 unless money isnt a factor at all.
Both cards have the same VRAM and memory bandwidth and the 670 overclocks roughly the same as the 680 from my research. The only thing you lose is 192 cores and 16 TMUs. I would recommend that you get a non-reference design if you decide to go with the 670. The reference design is a little louder and the pcb is smaller so heat doesn't dissipate as well.

Last edited:
The 670 is 90+% of the performance of the 680 for 80% of the cost. Get the 670, no question.

Well I can tell you that a GTX 680 has a really good chance of giving you 60 FPS with Adaptive Vsync on almost all the time at 1920x1200.

That said your at a lower rez. If I were you I would consider a monitor upgrade or surround if your into a game that would benefit.

If price isn't a huge factor I would go with a 680. Snag one on newegg for a decent price before they go out of stock again.

GTX 670, I have both of them in SLI and I'm very happy with it. The GTX 680 isn't that much faster than the GTX 670 anyway, your looking at a 3-5FPS increase over the GTX 670 and its not worth the extra cost.

I would go for reference 670 and get water block for it - EK and Aquacomputer are in the making of new block for reference PCBs.

clock for clock the 670 and 680 are within 5% of each other. you could end up with a 670 that actually overclocks better than a 680 thus removing most of that already small difference. do NOT get the reference card though as it has a cheap pos cooler that has no business being on $400 video card.

I recently upgraded from superclocked eVGA 580's (SLI 1.5gb) to superclocked eVGA 670's (SLI 4gb). In the past I have always gone with the top card for the generation. However, I did not feel like paying $630 per card for dual 680 GTX 4gb cards, when I was able to get 670 GTX 4gb cards for $485 each. The benefit for the additional cost (plus wait time for the 680 4GB cards to show up in stock) was not worth it to me.

Interesting - thanks much for the tips! My only question is - do GTX 680's show up often in non-reference design? I personally HATE the GTX 480 reference :(

Back