GTX 670 ASUS TOP Issue running Heaven?

So, what are the risk with buying a ASUS TOP right now?

Should I wait for some kind of official comment from ASUS?

So, what are the risk with buying a ASUS TOP right now?

Should I wait for some kind of official comment from ASUS?

Depends on your tolerance for the higher possibility of going through an RMA process. If you do choose to get one, I would definitely buy it someplace with a super friendly return policy so you don't have to go through ASUS if it's one of the bad ones.

Don't know why anyone would consider a TOP card right now with all of the issues their having, the standard non-TOP DCII seems to be ok though, you get the same exact card but without the unreliable clock speeds. If you just have to have an Asus card, the non-TOP is the way to go right now.

;)
Don't know why anyone would consider a TOP card right now with all of the issues their having, the standard non-TOP DCII seems to be ok though, you get the same exact card but without the unreliable clock speeds. If you just have to have an Asus card, the non-TOP is the way to go right now.

I think it is a crap shoot like with any other gtx 670... (a lottery in a full swing)...

I am supposed to receive my 7970 top today... after reading all these horror stories, it kind of has me worried. although, the 7970 ver was taken off of the market for a while and then put back on--hopefully they worked something out.

This is still really disheartening because i've owned a CU before and it always ran very cool--one of the factors i took when purchasing. I'll report back to let you know my findings. :eek:

(yes i know this is a nvidia flavor thread, but the dc2t version appears to have issues across both camps)

Last edited:
Llama[Style];1038797316 said:
I am supposed to receive my 7970 top today... after reading all these horror stories, it kind of has me worried. although, the 7970 ver was taken off of the market for a while and then put back on--hopefully they worked something out.

This is still really disheartening because i've owned a CU before and it always ran very cool--one of the factors i took when purchasing. I'll report back to let you know my findings. :eek:

(yes i know this is a nvidia flavor thread, but the dc2t version appears to have issues across both camps)

Yea, it has had issues this generation with both camps for some reason.

To shed some positive light here, I installed my Asus GTX 670 TOP on Friday and it's been running just fine. Now, I only ran Heaven for like 20min, but I've played D3 for hours and haven't had a single hiccup.

On a side note, the boost is supposed to go to 1137? MSI Afterburner shows it going as high as 1250 or so? Is this normal? (I am not O/C'ing..)

Good to hear a positive report on a TOP. There's definitely good TOP cards out there, it just seems like it's a bit of a dice roll right now if you'll get one of the good ones.

To shed some positive light here, I installed my Asus GTX 670 TOP on Friday and it's been running just fine. Now, I only ran Heaven for like 20min, but I've played D3 for hours and haven't had a single hiccup.

On a side note, the boost is supposed to go to 1137? MSI Afterburner shows it going as high as 1250 or so? Is this normal? (I am not O/C'ing..)

I believe 1250'ish is the max boost clock on the Asus TOP cards without overclocking. Keep in mind though that these cards will only boost to to max clock when needed. If a game isn't very demanding and the card realizes it can meet the target framerate using less clock speed, it will do that to save power. My 670 is overclocked to 1270MHz under boost but I noticed this weekend when playing GRID, it usually stay at the default 980MHz clock speed and that's becaue it keeps the framerates pegged at 60fps which is Vsync locked so its working properly. Pretty nice feature honestly to not use more power when it doesn't have to. I really wish AMD had a feature like this because its worth a lot more to me than adaptive Vsync. D3 isn't very demanding for a video card and it probably shouldn't need to boost to max clock speeds depending on what framerate you're trying to achieve. If you have Vync enabled, it shouldn't need to run full boost clocks. I have D3 but I honestly haven't checked my clock speeds while playing this game so I would need to verfiy if it boosts to full speed or not, but its hard to imagine it would need to.

Good to hear a positive report on a TOP. There's definitely good TOP cards out there, it just seems like it's a bit of a dice roll right now if you'll get one of the good ones.

There are some people that are getting reliable cards, but it really seems 50/50 at best right now on the TOP cards, strangely though the non-TOP cards seem to be just fine and overclockign very well also. Its almost like Asus got their bins mixed up. :p

I had ordered the card before seeing this thread so I was a bit weary. I'll put it through its paces, but so far it seems like I lucked out.

I believe 1250'ish is the max boost clock on the Asus TOP cards without overclocking. Keep in mind though that these cards will only boost to to max clock when needed. If a game isn't very demanding and the card realizes it can meet the target framerate using less clock speed, it will do that to save power. My 670 is overclocked to 1270MHz under boost but I noticed this weekend when playing GRID, it usually stay at the default 980MHz clock speed and that's becaue it keeps the framerates pegged at 60fps which is Vsync locked so its working properly. Pretty nice feature honestly to not use more power when it doesn't have to. I really wish AMD had a feature like this because its worth a lot more to me than adaptive Vsync. D3 isn't very demanding for a video card and it probably shouldn't need to boost to max clock speeds depending on what framerate you're trying to achieve. If you have Vync enabled, it shouldn't need to run full boost clocks. I have D3 but I honestly haven't checked my clock speeds while playing this game so I would need to verfiy if it boosts to full speed or not, but its hard to imagine it would need to.

I know of at least two people that have TOPs - myself and another - that boost to 1280 out of the box.

I also just talked to a co-worker who's having crashing issues on his Gigabyte OC 670 using out of the box clocks. So hopefully this isn't actually something endemic to the whole line of 670s (maybe some of these chips should have been held back for the 660 instead!).

I know of at least two people that have TOPs - myself and another - that boost to 1280 out of the box.

I also just talked to a co-worker who's having crashing issues on his Gigabyte OC 670 using out of the box clocks. So hopefully this isn't actually something endemic to the whole line of 670s (maybe some of these chips should have been held back for the 660 instead!).

The only cards that are having major issues right now are the Asus TOP cards and the former eVGA SC cards. All other card instabilities or failures are pretty low.

mine boost to 1280 (stock) stable in heaven diablo iii is a pain atm

COME ON NVIDIA GIVE US DRIVERS UPDATE

The only cards that are having major issues right now are the Asus TOP cards and the former eVGA SC cards. All other card instabilities or failures are pretty low.

Based on our guesses it seems that way, but we really don't have any real numbers to say there is a higher percentage of ASUS GTX 670 DCUII Tops failing vs other cards because we don't have any hard data.

Last edited:
You are correct. Amazon will accept a defective video card and issue a full refund minus your shipping to send the card back to them. Their return policy is so much better than Newegg's policy.

Newegg's policy is the exact same from what I saw when I sent mine back over the weekend. My refund amount is listed as the full price I paid ($429.99) and the only subtraction would be for the shipping label but that was free too thanks for Shoperunner.

Their restock fee is only if your returning for it not being defective as far as I could tell.

Just got my asus top 670 today. Ran unigine for half an hour and played bf3 single player for half an hour and no crashes or anything. Everything ran fine. I'll continue to test the system and keep updated, but so far so good.

^^ as mentioned, i was getting mine today as well (7970 dc2t). Zero issues here, ran unigine for a good hour and benched it. My scores seemed pretty on par to what others were getting with an OCed 7970. runs very cool, 29-35 deg c idle... and as high as 70 deg c 100% load. I'm very pleased with my purchase. played diablo iii/tf2/bf3 for a few hours with no hiccups whatsoever. (yeah, 2 of the games not that demanding--but hey, no crashes on 100% load = no crashes:D)

I had trouble getting 120hz to display--there was a switch on mine for single link and dual link... only found out after reading others having the same issue. only thing I ran in to...but of course that is a user error, nothing wrong with the card. :)

edit: these temps are on stock clocks and stock fan speed--according to gpu-z the fan speed only got as high as 28% (recorded logs while i was playing games)...which, to me, is very impressive. I'm sure if I was to ramp that up some or make it a constant 28%~, I could get the temps far cooler. I'm content with my PC not being audible though, it is DEAD silent.

Last edited:
played around 2 hours of Diablo and no crashes.

however I did experience stuttering in the game that I did not experience with my 6950. Or at least did not notice as much. I googled the issue and it seems that many 670/680 users are experiencing this same issue and are waiting for a driver release from Nvidia.

that's somewhat disappointing..

To be honest people are just more vocal about their issues. Normally people don't voice how great their purchase is and how everything is running fine. It's normally when issues arise. "80% of statistics are made up on the spot" is pretty spot on here. 50% are defective Blkout? Really? If it was that big of a problem there would have been a massive recall. Look at reviews on both Newegg and Amazon and the like. It seems roughly the Gigabyte OC and The Asus top are the ones with the most issues at the moment around ~20% defective (according to the reviews). To be honest I wouldn't hesitate getting either one. They are both excellent cards with great overclocking room. If you're weary, take a look at the MSI Twin Frozr IV that was just announced. People are speculating that the voltages are unlocked and paired with MSI's patented cooling system, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw overclocks over ~1400 on a regular basis. I am going to hold out for that card and see what they have to offer. In the mean time, hopefully Asus and Gigabyte figure out their issues.

played around 2 hours of Diablo and no crashes.

however I did experience stuttering in the game that I did not experience with my 6950. Or at least did not notice as much. I googled the issue and it seems that many 670/680 users are experiencing this same issue and are waiting for a driver release from Nvidia.

that's somewhat disappointing..

Not sure what stuttering you're getting or have read about in D3, but I've played it on my 670 and my 7850 and I don't get any stuttering other than the first 2-3 minutes of gameplay which seems normal for everyone since this game relies on the your internet connection and the D3 servers. Has nothing to do with the drivers if that's what you're experiencing.

D3 is not demanding at all for modern video card.

To be honest people are just more vocal about their issues. Normally people don't voice how great their purchase is and how everything is running fine. It's normally when issues arise. "80% of statistics are made up on the spot" is pretty spot on here. 50% are defective Blkout? Really? If it was that big of a problem there would have been a massive recall. Look at reviews on both Newegg and Amazon and the like. It seems roughly the Gigabyte OC and The Asus top are the ones with the most issues at the moment around ~20% defective (according to the reviews). To be honest I wouldn't hesitate getting either one. They are both excellent cards with great overclocking room. If you're weary, take a look at the MSI Twin Frozr IV that was just announced. People are speculating that the voltages are unlocked and paired with MSI's patented cooling system, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw overclocks over ~1400 on a regular basis. I am going to hold out for that card and see what they have to offer. In the mean time, hopefully Asus and Gigabyte figure out their issues.

Are you delusional? The Asus TOP 670 is sitting at Newegg right now with a 45% 5 star rating, that's only 13 people out of 29 total that have reviewed this card that have no issues. The Gigabyte 670 is sitting at Newegg right now with a 73% 5 star rating, that's 44 people out of 60 total that have reviewed that card that have no issues. I don't even know how you can compare these two and call it close? I guess you have some agenda to push so you blindly ignore the numbers presented to you. Looking at those numbers, I don't think my 50/50 estimate was too far off the mark. Gigabyte doesn't have any issues to figure out, Asus does though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121638&Tpk=asus 670 DC2t

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423&Tpk=gigabyte 670

Wake up!

13 people out of 29 total that have reviewed this card that have no issues...
44 people out of 60 total that have reviewed that card that have no issues...
Wake up!

Out of how many people that actually purchased the cards?

I think that's the point he's trying to drive at.

Also, please take it easy Mr. Limbaugh. We'll wake up when we're damned ready.

Are you delusional? The Asus TOP 670 is sitting at Newegg right now with a 45% 5 star rating, that's only 13 people out of 29 total that have reviewed this card that have no issues. The Gigabyte 670 is sitting at Newegg right now with a 73% 5 star rating, that's 44 people out of 60 total that have reviewed that card that have no issues. I don't even know how you can compare these two and call it close? I guess you have some agenda to push so you blindly ignore the numbers presented to you. Looking at those numbers, I don't think my 50/50 estimate was too far off the mark. Gigabyte doesn't have any issues to figure out, Asus does though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121638&Tpk=asus 670 DC2t

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423&Tpk=gigabyte 670

Wake up!

I have to agree with this comment, even though I appear to have lucked out. Most of the complaints aren't even on newegg or amazon. Just check out the ASUS forums, or even the forums here, hell... tons of complaints... had me scared.:(

Out of how many people that actually purchased the cards?

I think that's the point he's trying to drive at.

Also, please take it easy Mr. Limbaugh. We'll wake up when we're damned ready.

If you can find more accurate data by all means post it. He quoted Newegg's reviews and used them to try to justify his point, I simply showed that he was clearly not reading the data correctly or was choosing to ignore what he didn't want to see. The tech forums have quite a few complaints right now with the Asus DCII TOP 670, much more so than you will find with the Gigabyte Windforce 670. You're never going to know from every single person how they rate their purchase, you can only go on the data you have to work with and right now the data that we do have to work with isn't too good for Asus.

The standard Asus DCII non-TOP card seems to be trouble free though, people love them and they're overclocking well too, they seem more stable than the TOP models and that's a problem.

At least with eVGA you know you'll get good support if there's a problem. They made a mistake with the 670 SC model and quickly fixed it and gave everyone affected an upgraded card, for free. I can't say the same with Asus.

At least with eVGA you know you'll get good support if there's a problem. They made a mistake with the 670 SC model and quickly fixed it and gave everyone affected an upgraded card, for free. I can't say the same with Asus.

I know but I don’t really care about the support because I’m shipping this card outside the US (Local prices here are much higher than amazon)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since 670s are 680s that failed certification and have one core disabled, it's no wonder they are causing problems from various vendors.

I know but I don’t really care about the support because I’m shipping this card outside the US (Local prices here are much higher than amazon)

If you're buying a card from outside of the US, I think you might consider getting the most reliable card you can buy, and that isn't the Asus TOP 670 right now. That's a pretty big gamble when you may need to return it if it doesn't perform as it should.

Love my GTX 680 TOP. One of the best cards Ive owned. No stability issues here. I think its just the nature of the 670 chips to be so hit or miss.

I don't see any real issues with the 670 chips from any manufacturer, its really only the Asus TOP 670 that's having a lot of issues right now. eVGA corrected their issue with the SC model.

I've had the Gigabyte and the Asus TOP at this point, and the Asus was definitely quieter, something I place a lot of value on.

I'm wondering if I should change my return to a refund and just shell out the extra dough to get a 680, if they are significantly more stable.

I've had the Gigabyte and the Asus TOP at this point, and the Asus was definitely quieter, something I place a lot of value on.

I'm wondering if I should change my return to a refund and just shell out the extra dough to get a 680, if they are significantly more stable.

Can't imagine the Asus being any quieter than my Gigabyte 670 which I can't even hear. That being said, I do believe the Asus fans spin slower, but that just makes the card run hotter. These cards will throttle clock speed above 70c which means you'll likely have to adjust your fan profile to run higher speed if you're overclocking which means more noise. My Gigabyte 670 runs 65c most of the time under full load at 1270MHz boost clock. Case cooling obviously will play a role in how hard your video card fans have to work as well.

I ask you some legitimate questions and you continue to spew garbage. You should take a step back and think about why you even read and post on these forums.

Do you really Cheatdeath or is that your tough guy internet handle? :p

Take it else where guys. These post will be deleted soon I'm sure.

I hope every post Blkout has ever made is deleted because its all garbage. I know im not the only one out there with this opinion and anybody that does go in and delete these please read into the garbage he says it does not belong on these forums its useless.

Can't imagine the Asus being any quieter than my Gigabyte 670 which I can't even hear. That being said, I do believe the Asus fans spin slower, but that just makes the card run hotter. These cards will throttle clock speed above 70c which means you'll likely have to adjust your fan profile to run higher speed if you're overclocking which means more noise. My Gigabyte 670 runs 65c most of the time under full load at 1270MHz boost clock. Case cooling obviously will play a role in how hard your video card fans have to work as well.

Uh the guy had both the cards while you dont. if you cant imagine doesnt mean it isnt true =(

Back