GTX 590 or Crossfire 6970

AthlonXP

Fully [H]
I have a PLP Monitor setup and just wanted to know which config would be better overall. 20x30x20 is my setup.

I will definitely not go for GTX 590 in any situation. It's a horrible card to begin with.

Either go GTX 580 3GB SLi or 6970 CF. Depends on your budget...

I will definitely not go for GTX 590 in any situation. It's a horrible card to begin with.

Either go GTX 580 3GB SLi or 6970 CF. Depends on your budget...

This. 6970 CF would beat a 590 at your res anyway.

Essentially I ask this question because with my monitor setup I cannot use a GTX 580 SLI because I use a 20x30x20 setup, I would have to use a 3rd card for the additional monitor. Plus with my motherboard the best config is to use the 2x GTX580's at the bottom part of the board for the NF200 to kick in.

and then do this

setup2010.jpg

Hmmm... well I actually only game on the 30 inch monitor. Games I play are:

CS, TF2, L4D series, Crysis 1/2, UT 3, WOW, Bad Company 2, Duke Nukem (hey its fun to just play a stupid game sometimes..) and eventually Battlefield 3.

Well we don't know about BF3 yet, but I can tell you from experience that 2x 6950's is enough to max all of the other games you listed (BC2 being the most GPU intensive this side of Crysis) at 6048x1080. Aside from Crysis (~30fps) they all will average far over 60fps. Source games ~250+.

Well I wanted to get the standard reference 6970's. Any suggestions??

If you're not playing in multi-monitor then definitely go the HD6970 CF. Great performance for single screen setups :)

I went with the Asus DirectCU II's for noise reasons. Granted they take up a ton of room being 3 slots wide each. If I went reference I would choose based on warranties and price.

OMG for sure the 6970. Hell get save some money even and get a pair of 6950's and unlock them.

Crossfire 6970's without question. Cheaper than the 590 (only a tad) and easier to find. More memory which is always a good thing.

AMD is a hard horse not to bet on with the price vs performance you get from this generation. I went 2 6970's and love it. I play at 5760 x 1080 and they kill most games that support x-fire.

Forget the 590. The drivers for those are still a mess, hard-lock voltage, problematic BIOS, bad VRMs design, limiters even in game, etc etc...

6970 Crossfire is a MUCH better choice.

I have crossfire 6870s and the bump in performance has been phenomenal. Two 6970s seem to scale as well as my 6870s, so I would go for it!

Just putting in my vote for 2x6970. OC them and you can get much better performance than 590 and might get to a performance close to 580 SLi.

well i just bought the 6970's 2way crossfire, and i have to say im thinking of returning, issue 1.... cant d/l from amd i get a integrity thing says unsafew wont install, so i have to go to sapphire to get it, 2nd.... the benchs i have run like unigen they flat suck, 14 to 25 max and jumping, i just came from 2 msi lightnings 580's, not even a comparison this is nutzzz

Last edited:
just ran unigen got 545 score, that insane, average 21 fps, i had a single gtx 560 get that score, someting is wrong, 11.11 cat and cap2, these things have about 1 hour to get ligned out, or going back microcenter just bought lastnight, looking like back to 580's i like 70fps much better i can assure ya

I would say wait for the new cards but the date of the release is unknown and dunno if you have the patience so your call

Gonna punt the 6970's because of 1 synthetic benchmark? You must go thru a LOT of hardware. :p Have you actually tried any games yet? :confused:

yes games do well, and heres the kicker after all this time since like 7am, my low scores in cinebench was not running fullscreen mode while testing, enable fullscreen and now its 50 to 73, and 100 to 150+ bf3

lol, im impressed for the cost i must say, i never heard of that running cine in window mode would kill the fps

Well, now you do :)

As for your low Unigen scores, are you running them on Extreme tessellation? Cuz FYI, Nvidia is better is tessellation. Even a 460 can beat a 6970 IIRC. It's a useless benchmark. Thankfully games run great.

yes i always run unigen maxed out, so it was extreme tess, but still done alot better fullscreen like over doubled

Back