GTX 580-What's going on with my video?

fociz

Limp Gawd
I have two issue's.

1. My Evga Gtx580 OC Edition(805/1610/2025) via Hdmi to a Sony 1080p panel, has gone from consistent idle desktop temps of 43-45c to 58-60c for a reason i do not know. The fan is now always kicking in all day long.

2. When I play videos/movies on the desktop(VLC, WMV, Quicktime) the screen immediately goes black for a second or two, then comes back on with an over-scanned looking image as the video then plays on. It''s as if the screen resolution has been changed to a non-native setting and the pq is dimmed and looks pretty much terrible.
While the video plays I've checked vsync and res and both are still showing 1080p@60hz through windows.

I then hit ESC or close the player, and screen goes black for a second or two again then goes back to it's normal beautiful native looking colors.

I am using nvidia 295.73's and wonder if it's a driver issue or hardware?

What am i missing here? Any idea's?

Thanks.

I know its common, but have you cleaned out the dust in the computer?

Almost sounds like u r cloning or running multi monitor setup. I've seen the black screen glitch on my ATI card last time I remember using it on monitor and tv. It's been a while since.I've done that so I can't give u more details. Anyway check settings for any multi monitor options..maybe something is stuck on force auto-detect or something.

Np, sometimes the simplest thing is the culprit.

I keep my pc's innards clean, can of air once a week.
Checked Nvidia control panel, have it set to single display(although tried multiple and compatibility modes) i've also set the video card to both maximum performance and adaptive.

Neither fixed the issue.

I had a very similar issue with my 580, I re-seated the card and switched from using one pci-e connector line to two (as in, my PSU had two plugs on one cable, and I switched to using two cables).

Hasn't happened since.

Thanks.

I've now re-seated the card, I have dedicated seperate 8 and 6 pin cables powering the card. I took it out and blew it all off, even though the parts are clean to the human eye.
I also changed Hdmi cables, and temps have gone back down to normal 43-45c, but this from a cold reboot, i'll monitor temps to see if they climb as the day goes on.
I think so far your suggestion of re-seating the card has done the trick for the temp issue.

But this video switching/black screen issue has me confounded, i'm considering this may be a driver issue.

Anyone out there running newest 295.73 drivers on their 580? I haven't rolled back yet.

I'm running the new drivers, and on air, my EVGA GTX580 was idling around 35-38*c, loads in the mid 70s.

I'm watercooled now and am idling 28-31*c so I cant help you anymore regarding air cooling, BUT... what thermal paste did you use for your heatsink when you reseated? Did you replace the thermal pads for the memory?

I can tell you that when I ran two monitors (1 at 1080p and the other at 1050) the card would idle in the low 50s with ambient temps in the mid 70s*f

Back