GTX 580 Owners Thread

Just bought the $400 Zotec AMP from microcenter, Bring on BF3 in ultra. Time to dominate the fuck out of 1080p, Ultra BF3 here i fucking come.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1037912763 said:
ummm no, I actually lower the prices because they take 15% off for open box.

Where do you think that 15% comes from - the cash fairy? That money comes from the manufacturer or the retailer - and three guesses how they make up for that loss. Ding, ding, ding...by raising all the prices to account for it.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1037912763 said:
ummm no, I actually lower the prices because they take 15% off for open box.

Please tell me your joking? Because if not, you have some issues.

I purchased the ASUS direct cuii gtx 580 and have it stable at 1150 volts, 1000 core, 2100 memory (memory will go 2200 no problem but I've heard it's not worth overclocking anyway).

Asus-GTX%2020580.jpg

Card maxxes out around 61C in bfbc2 with maxx settings; these are the same temps I get at stock, so I can run any configuration temp wise. The volts are just needed to get to 1000.

1150 millivolts for 1000
1100 for 950
1088 millivolts for 875-925
and stock volts for 850 and below

AMAZING card makes me horny. I need to get another, but want to wait for bf3 to see how it does at 1000 core before I make the plunge.

Last edited:
I hate doing it but I found in the beta for bf3 that lowering resolution to 1680x1050 I could run 4xmsaa, med post processing and all ultra and stay in the 45+ frames; I think bf3 needs at least 45 for smooth gameplay, of course 60 is ideal. Running High is no problem and 1920x1080 but that's not an option! Must have AA, even if I have to drop resolution down. Scaling looks great on nvidia card.

A single GTX580 can manage an average of 45fps at 1920x1080 on "Ultra" in the beta - the full version may knock it down to 35-40, but the minimum would only have been 30-35 in the beta, so potentially 25-30 at retail.

I wanted to amend my post above to say it turns out 1000 is not stable under furmark and METRO 2033 which is about the best burn in tool you can find! :)

As it turns out I can get a totally stable 950 core/2100 memory at 1150, I would say it's 95% stable at 1100, but the temps are neglibile in difference so I might as run the higher volts.

I'm finding stability problems with anything over 950, so I've settled for my overclock of 950core /2100 mem; I can hit 825/2100 without adjusting any voltage. I like how newer video cards crash; I've been able to alt tab out of game everytime and shut down the process; very little 'damage' done with failed overclock attempts as it used to be.

Got mine last night MSI 580GTX Lightning XE. Doesnt like 900/1800/2100 with default Mv. Currently running 875/1750/2100. Was playing BF3 for almost an hour last night and didnt get a lock up or freeze. Sweet card. Maxed out everything on BF3 and was getting at least 60+fps.

I've been out of the loops for quite some time, hoping for some Team Green advice. I'm looking to upgrade from a single GTX 285 for the likes of Skyrim, Arkham City, BF3, etc. Is this a good time to move to a 580 or is the Next Big Thing(tm) just around the corner? If it's a matter of waiting another month or three for the tick (or is it the tock?), I can suck it up and play patient.

Tick, probably more like 5 months, and who knows. A GTX580 is pretty overpriced for what it is, and anything else will be a 50% upgrade tops unless you go SLI/crossfire.

The 580s are the only cards powerful enough to utilize Vram of 1.5 Gb and up. Nvidia were clever very clever as the 570s performance dropped with more bandwidth. Showing its processing power was just cut short by nvidia
SURROUND-MEM-28.jpg

SURROUND-MEM-29.jpg

Last edited:
Tick, probably more like 5 months, and who knows. A GTX580 is pretty overpriced for what it is, and anything else will be a 50% upgrade tops unless you go SLI/crossfire.
Thanks for the response.

It's either a couple of XFX 6950s or a single EVGA 580. I realize the 6950s would be a much better price/performance proposition, but I tend toward single card solutions for peace of mind, less power draw, less noise. I suppose that's not very [H] of me. I also prefer Nvidia tech in general.

Two 6950s would decimate a single 580. The GTX580 is little more than 20% faster than an HD6950 most of the time, so the crossfire setup will be reliably 50% faster than a 580, despite costing a similar amount. If you really want to go with nvidia, you could consider shelling out the extra for two GTX570s - it's not ideal as they don't have that much video memory and they area bit more expensive, but that's why we normally recommend crossfire first.

I just had two GTX 580's take a shit on me. They died within about two weeks of each other. To say that I'm pissed off doesn't do my feelings on the subject justice. This makes the THIRD GTX 580 failure I've had since these cards came out.

Last edited:
I just had two GTX 580's take a shit on me. They died within about two weeks of each other. To say that I'm pissed off doesn't do my feelings on the subject justice. This makes the THIRD GTX 580 failure I've had since these cards came out.

You keeping them at stock clocks? I bought on release and have had no issues (they are factory overclocked EVGAs).

XFX and EVGA is where I keep my money as have yet to have one go bad.

That truly sucks man, I feel your pain. You pay a premium for something high-end and then it craps out on you, not once but 3 times! Were all 3 failures Galaxy cards? What is the RMA/warranty situation?

That *really* sucks dude. I'd be raging if I had to pay for replacements for GTX 580s.

XFX and EVGA is where I keep my money as have yet to have one go bad.

Same here, I would stick with XFX/EVGA for the warranty. I just sent in my 8800 GTX for RMA to XFX. It was the only nVidia card that I had ever bought. I have been running ATi since 1998 and not a single one of them has had a hardware issue ever. I did like the nVidia drivers and control panel better. I hate CCC and always have. I am very tempted to get a 570/580 but XFX is no longer doing nVidia so it would have to be EVGA. I fear buying another nVidia card but if it has a lifetime warranty I guess it doesn't matter if it fails unless it takes other parts with it.

The Geforce 8/9 series (G80/G92) were the only real nvidia cards to have a fixed shelf-life though, due to the components they used. Thankfully modern geforces don't really time-expire in the same way.

A year on, if you want to stay clear of CF or SLI the GTX580 is still the best option.

130 bucks different between a 570 and a 580 is a lot of money to some, but its barley a night on the piss for me, so worth every penny to go 580.

Same here, I would stick with XFX/EVGA for the warranty. I just sent in my 8800 GTX for RMA to XFX. It was the only nVidia card that I had ever bought. I have been running ATi since 1998 and not a single one of them has had a hardware issue ever. I did like the nVidia drivers and control panel better. I hate CCC and always have. I am very tempted to get a 570/580 but XFX is no longer doing nVidia so it would have to be EVGA. I fear buying another nVidia card but if it has a lifetime warranty I guess it doesn't matter if it fails unless it takes other parts with it.

Galaxy was good to me for my other GTX 580 RMA. Though they did ask me some stupid questions before they'd issue the RMA, it was still a fairly pain free experience.

Galaxy was good to me for my other GTX 580 RMA. Though they did ask me some stupid questions before they'd issue the RMA, it was still a fairly pain free experience.

Crap.. I just picked up one of these... Is yours the one with the tripple fan setup?

Mine are reference cards wtih reference coolers.

Ahh ok.. well hopefully mine has a better track record. Did you have to register with them for the warranty? I got my used so I am wondering how I can keep my self covered.

...I have been running ATi since 1998 and not a single one of them has had a hardware issue ever...

Spoke too soon. The 4870x2 took a dump too. :(

New EVGA GTX 580 is on the way.

--- Got it. Loving it. Almost got talked into a 570 but glad I went for the 580.

Last edited:
Back