GTX 580 and 620W PSU?

Gussboy

Weaksauce
Putting together a new gaming system and wondering if I will be able to reuse my existing power supply in the new rig? Does it make sense to leverage my existing PSU or do I need something more powerful?

Existing PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX

Planned upgrade:

CPU: i5-2500K
MB: ASRock Z68 EXTREME4
GPU: MSI N580GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 580
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB
SSD: Crucial M4 128 GB
DVD: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
COOLER: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212+

You will be fine. If you plan to go SLI in the future, then your going to need a bigger PSU then. Just to let you know I ran a 2500K and 2 GTX 470's O/Ced with no problem off that very same PSU.

It's fine. I've done it on Neo Eco 620 (with a GTX 480) and a more power hungry overall system than you've got there.

Another you should be fine , I have the same PS . I have a i7-950 mildy over clocked , 3.6ghz with a gtx580 and have no issuses what so ever . I also have 4 HDs and 4 120mm fans running .

You will be fine. But to echo everyone else SLi is not in your future unless you upgrade the PSU.

HX620 wile not the latest and greatest is still a great PSU and should hold up fine to a single 580 if you want to SLi you might want to move up to an 850 but your good to go with just one

This is really an amazing community. Where else will you get such quality responses so quickly?

Probably a lot of busy forums to be honest, not just this one :p

The HX620 is one of the better PSUs out there, I had the smaller 520 (which I still regret selling!) and had a 4870X2 running off that, which uses even more than a GTX580 does. No issues.

A 620W less than quality power supply would definitely be very questionable here. As everyone has said, you should be good with that Corsair PS.

Back