GTX 570/460 BSODs / Hard Lockup

psilence

Limp Gawd
Hello

I have a friend who bought a GTX 570 about two weeks ago for the express purpose of playing BF3. For those two weeks, it ran great. He was playing it daily, as well as dabbling in all the other games he had been playing. He was upgrading from an XFX 9800GTX+, so it was quite the improvement he saw across the board.

Two days ago he downloaded a pirated version of Skyrim with a bundled DirectX installer. He installed it, and the game seemed to play fine. The next day, he was unable to play any game other than battlefield, at all. Even BF3 would crash within about five to ten minutes of playing. His specs are below.

e8400 @ 4.0 (1.26 vcore)
asus p5n-d (nforce 750i)
Gskill ddr2 800 2x2gb (F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ)
Samsung spintpoint f3 500gb (hd502j)
EVGA GTX 570 (p/n 012-P3-1572-AR)
Corsair VX550
Windows 7 64bit

His testing method thus far has been trying to run furmark for more than ten minutes, or trying to play any game at all.

So far he's tried the following:

-Reinstalling video card drivers. Had no effect.
-Reinstalling chipset drivers. Had no effect.
-Getting all the newest windows updates. Had no effect.
-Swapping out his brother's GTX 460 for his card. His machine still crashes, but his card in his brother's machine runs just fine.

I've suggested the following, but he has not yet gotten the chance to try:

-Formatting and reinstalling windows
-Backing down his overclock on his CPU
-Swapping out his PSU with his brother's, though I don't see how this would really help, more to eliminate the PSU as a problem.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Sorry, he got what he deserved STEALING a game. GTFO :rolleyes:

Thank you for your very helpful reply. I am not encouraging what he's done, in fact I would say you're right saying he got what he deserved. But, the issue still stands.

Try another PSU, then if that doesn't work format drive and stop stealing.

download this
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluescreenview_setup.exe

Install it run it and post the file names in red
heres a example
bluescreenview.gif

-Uninstall and delete all files related to the stolen Skyrim.
-update the definitions for your antivirus and anti-malware programs
-run full scans of antivirus and anti-malware programs
-try re-installing directx by downloading it from microsoft

If all else fails, do a repair install, or reformat and start over.

Sorry, no sympathy. He totally deserves any issues that pirated copy gave him.

It was an overclock that had gone bad over time. Ran 4.0 for about a year, and it somehow became unstable. Rolled it back to stock settings and furmark runs fine.

Thanks for the help.

It was an overclock that had gone bad over time. Ran 4.0 for about a year, and it somehow became unstable. Rolled it back to stock settings and furmark runs fine.

Thanks for the help.

I quickly read overclocking can cause damage to CPUs as well as increasing tempertures and power consumption.

BTW, what's with all the "Holy sermons" in this thread?

I quickly read overclocking can cause damage to CPUs as well as increasing tempertures and power consumption.

BTW, what's with all the "Holy sermons" in this thread?

Really. I mean, I can understand passion but, this isn't a kid who doesn't buy anything. I had just said he bought bf3 in the beginning of the thread.

And yes, it really was a friend of mine.

Back