Gtx 560ti Refurb- Tempautre issues

jkmetal

Limp Gawd
First, yes, my case is an antec sonata, with one exhaust fan. I'm working on changing that this week.

My overclocked gtx 460, at 65% fan speed. never gets over 68c. 99% gpu load sustained.

My refurb reference nvidia gtx 560 ti will get to 88c, with 65% fan. With my case open it will get to 85c, 65% fan. (and its a damn noisy fan too...!) With the fan set to auto I get to 91c. :eek:

Anyone ever own a reference gtx 560ti? What kind of temps did you get?

Its under 30 day warranty so i can choose to bring it back anytime this month.

Basically, my question is this, keep it, give it some more airflow, maybe reset the heatsink in 30 days/reapply thermal paste..

Or return it and get something else. My budget is pretty limited, and i was not looking at spending more than $100 to upgrade from my gtx 460 768.

That's can be pretty close to normal for the Nvidia reference cooler on the GTX 560 Ti... especially in a cramped case or with poor airflow. They run unbelievably hot. Average temperatures under full load with the reference cooler on the 560 Ti you will see temperatures hover around 90C.

[EDIT: Man I don't know what I posted this morning before I got caffeine in me :D]

If you're worried about the temperatures spend the money you saved buying the card to get a nice third party cooler... it will definitely lengthen the life of the card.

Last edited:
Its normal for a reference cooler. Before i change my 680 FTW cooler to accelero hybrid, it ran as high as 83c.

Anandtech has 71C running Metro 2033, 76C on OCCT.

That's because Anand doesn't use a traditional case when testing GPUs - they use an open air test bench setup... like a lot of other reviewers unfortunately.

Still, mid 70's to low 80's what I would expect to see with a case with good airflow... but again it's not uncommon to see 90C temps. If it were me I'd re-examine the airflow in my case, check the TIM on the card, and probably even purchase a third party cooler. (Arctic Cooling makes some awesome units but they're pricy)

Last edited:
Will the 90c temps hurt it or is it working as designed?

Working as designed.

Still a poor choice of a cooler design IMO, which is why you see so many third party designs. (Asus DirectCU units, Galaxy's coolers, Gigabyte's awesome twin fan units, etc)

Fellow $79 Microcenter buyer here :)

In my SLI setup the top card hit 91C while running OC Scanner X; seems like the top temp (judging from the Precision X graph) while actually gaming usually hovers around 85C. (This is with the core bumped to 925 and the memory at 2400, along with a 140mm D14SL-12 as intake on the side panel of my Core 3000 case right where the cards are located.) Even in the upper 80's the fan would only go to around 72% speed.

The default software fan curve in Precision X is a lot more aggressive. I went ahead and turned on the software fan curve (after getting my above temps) and got much better results.
With the default software fan curve enabled in Precision X, using OC Scanner X to stress test, my top (hottest) card did not go above 73C with the fan also at 73%.
Running Unigine Heaven on Extreme, top card was 64C.
evgapx.png

Other than doing that, you could ziptie a fan near the cards somewhere (probably off your HD cages) and push some airflow towards the card and it would probably help a little even though you don't really have an intake fan at the front of that case.

Last edited:
So, a few options..

1 This $20 gpu heatsink + fan

This
guy

3. Shoot for this bro

I will probably also be buying a pci slot cooler as well..

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
[Shrug]
Add the free software fan profile, enjoy temps in 70s which is probably close to what you'll get with any of those coolers. :cool:

I would redo the thermal paste with something better and drop temps as well; I might do that myself with some MX-2.

[Shrug]
Add the free software fan profile, enjoy temps in 70s which is probably close to what you'll get with any of those coolers. :cool:

I would redo the thermal paste with something better and drop temps as well; I might do that myself with some MX-2.

Hmm... I'll give it a shot but I really, really hate fan nose. My rig is quiet.

You have a fairly quiet case, I don't think a max ramp up to 75% on the fan will really bother you that much. I have a fairly open air case with 7 fans total and the 560's are not that noticeable to me at higher speeds. Since your case is more closed, you'll probably hear yours less than I hear mine. ;) In the least, if it works for you, you're out $0.

You have a fairly quiet case, I don't think a max ramp up to 75% on the fan will really bother you that much. I have a fairly open air case with 7 fans total and the 560's are not that noticeable to me at higher speeds. Since your case is more closed, you'll probably hear yours less than I hear mine. ;) In the least, if it works for you, you're out $0.

I might try some artic silver that i have lying around and redo that.

I do have an intake fan.

An update. When I manually set my fan to 100% before I stress the gpu (i played the new tomb raider for 20 minutes) with the side of my case off, I get around 76c. Thats with stock clocks. The temp rises very, very fast, with it reached max temp in about 3 minutes, yet the temp also drops really really fast. So the cooling system is working. Its just either it isn't great at controlling temps or my refrub is just a borderline acceptable part that runs abnormally hot.

So, to return (hour drive there and back, have to borrow a car as well...) or attempt to fix the problem via reapplying termal paste, improving airflow and aftermarket cooler.. Decisions..

[Shrug]

With my case closed, the software profile keep temps near 85-90 (it maxed out at 91).

I had twin frozr II's and they got pretty hot as well. Not like your's but the cards did get up there. Re-apply thermal paste if you are comfortable. Otherwise, just take it back and say it was not running correctly.

I have the MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti with a Hawk PCB, have her running at 965MHz core and 2225 memory (slightly upped volts) and get 82c with 100% fan lol.

I have the MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti with a Hawk PCB, have her running at 965MHz core and 2225 memory (slightly upped volts) and get 82c with 100% fan lol.

Hmm, that doesn't sound too bad.

Anyway, I've decided to keep the card. I was trolling newegg today and I found this for $20 off. I just hate this fan with a passion, (i'm super picky about noise) and even if i applied thermal paste it would still annoy me. (once saved a 6800gt by reappling the thermal paste. damn fan was going 100% and it was artifacting. still works to this day...). This card probably needs the fan at 50%-65% even if i reapplied the paste.

Plus, there is no fun in taking it back.

Hmm, for fun I reappiled thermal paste. (a5)
Setting the fan to auto (50-55%) it gets up to 85c now. To 75% (100% fan) i get 76c.
Better. Can't wait until i get the heatsink, this fan is loud as fuzz.
Also going to totally rearrange my fan set up. I have the cpu exhaust fan exhausting hot air on the gpu (lol, i was lazy and my gtx 460 ran cool.) I hope to see better temps across the board.

Back