• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GTX 480M results

tybert7

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
2,763
Geez... that is one hell of a mobile video card!

I wish I had the cash and a lifestyle that is incompatible with a desktop. :)
 
I'm sorry but that is an absurd chip. there is simply no reason to have that in a notebook computer even as a desktop replacement. they should have waited for the GF104 to try this. Hell even the 5750 (lets call it what it is, I liked the reviewer doing that) is a bit much.

and only 10% faster? I have to wonder if that's right. if it is then that is pathetic. really I wish someone would do an H type review of these.
 
Hello,
You may be more suited for this site... www.softforum.com

the only thing that is going to be soft here is your nuts when that "notebook" gpu finishes cooking them. Let me know how that works for you. 10% faster and twice the power of the competition in a notebook computer. how is that [H]ard?
 
I'm sorry but that is an absurd chip. there is simply no reason to have that in a notebook computer even as a desktop replacement. they should have waited for the GF104 to try this. Hell even the 5750 (lets call it what it is, I liked the reviewer doing that) is a bit much.

and only 10% faster? I have to wonder if that's right. if it is then that is pathetic. really I wish someone would do an H type review of these.

Yea, there are definitely not enough sources of this information... but it sounds like this card is going to spank the competition. One source that works off the results of the public and uses mismatched systems with unique cpu's, memory, video card, etc, is a very poor resource for comparing video cards. I understand it will be a little more difficult to get matching hardware in a laptop, but eurocom and company have the means of making these laptops with a wide variety of GPUs, including 5870 and GTX 480M.

Hello,
You may be more suited for this site... www.softforum.com

Hahahaha. (Because LOL isn't an accurate description of the sound I made.)

What is this "too powerful?" It can either play Metro 2033 at 1920x1200 with all the settings turned up or it can't. This still can't do it. Therefore it is not powerful enough. It's a desktop replacement, not a thin and light. Twenty or thirty minute battery lives are to be expected and gaming on your lap with a machine thing big and heavy would be irresponsible. The only person with a legitimate complaint against the size/weight is the poor guy on a flight, sitting in front of you whose seat is attached to your tray. :D
 
Yea, there are definitely not enough sources of this information... but it sounds like this card is going to spank the competition. One source that works off the results of the public and uses mismatched systems with unique cpu's, memory, video card, etc, is a very poor resource for comparing video cards. I understand it will be a little more difficult to get matching hardware in a laptop, but eurocom and company have the means of making these laptops with a wide variety of GPUs, including 5870 and GTX 480M.

yeah, I am inclined to think it should be better in gaming performance. on the other site it uses blatantly Nvidia favored benches so I really can't take that but 10% is equally hard to swallow. still I can't see this at all. The new GF104 is suppose to be up and coming and would have made a FAR better solutions then a 100 watt chip. I think this was nothing more then a token move by Nvidia to take the "fastest" slot from ATI. (and it did)
 
the only thing that is going to be soft here is your nuts when that "notebook" gpu finishes cooking them. Let me know how that works for you. 10% faster and twice the power of the competition in a notebook computer. how is that [H]ard?

Seriously eh? I'm neither fanboy of either company but I can only look at the Nvidia of (today) and just... /facepalm
 
At least ~$630 more expensive. Requires a 17.3" notebook with three cooling fans to keep decent temps.*

~10% faster.

If this were another forum, there would be a reaction image.

*-Though granted most high end graphics chips do bake under load.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top