GTX 480 upgrade question

Frozen8950

Limp Gawd
I have a computer that is 5 years old.
I upgraded with a new 4ghz skylake processor and 32gigs of ram.

I decided to keep my GTX 480 card because Pascal is around the corner and I didn't want to buy a new card only to replace it in april/may

However the black Friday special on the GTX 960s looks like I could spend 200 bucks for a incremental upgrade to tide me over until pascal comes out.

So here is the question.. Will I see an imporovement? I know it will be less electricity but I have 2 monitors and the max resolution is 1920x1080.

So I wont really be able to increase the resolution but how about all the AA/AF and other graphics settings?

Should I get the GTX 960 to tide me over or just stay with a single GTX 480 because its not worth the cost at this time? Bonus question.. Find a used GTX 480 on ebay and SLI with my original GTX 480?

Thanks for any help. I tried googling stuff but I didn't find much comparing new cards with the 480.. just 7 series stuff

You could probably find another 480 for very cheap. Two in SLI would still be slow compared to newer cards, but it would certainly still be a bump over what you have now. At least that would be something for now to hold you over.

If you are going to go the 960 route... you should probably just find some used 780Tis instead.

Yeah I'd go the used route, I've seen nice Gtx 780's for around $180. Huge, huge upgrade from that 480.

a GTX960 is faster than a GTX580 and its a hell of an overclocker, so it performs very well at 1080p.

That said, if you already waited this long, you might as well wait for Pascal

I'm not waiting though, I'll probably get a 970 on BF and call it a day.

Just a note...GTX 480 SLI's are VERY hot. That's one of the main reasons I upgraded to a GTX 680 (i have SLI now...) when the GTX 680's were released. The shear amount of heat being produced was insane with two cards.

Back