GTX 480, idling at 68c

Kainzo

Gawd
Is this too hot? I have a HAF 942X case with two additional top fans. Ambient temp in the room is probably 75F.

Under full load the temps are around 90-95C

Just wanting to know if this is something to worry about.
SiL4V.jpg

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-review/10

That idle temp is really high. If I remember correctly mine idled in the 40s when I had one. Though load temp of 90c to 95c are only slightly higher then what I remember getting.

adjust your fan profile... yes it has to run really high in order to keep safer more comfortable temps but the noise in my opinion is not as bad at the temps :D

google custom fan profile gtx480

Wow that's crazy.

X bit used this stuff on the 680GTX and it dropped temps 4 degrees. It might do wonders for your 480GTX. If I had a 480GTX you better believe I would be increasing case air flow, adding thermal grease, and slapping on a better cooler. Those things are literally the bomb! :D I waited and went for a 560Ti Twin Frozer 2 and idle in the 30's to avoid messing with that heat problem, but yeah the 480GTX outperformas it by a whopping 10 percent, just lol. Get modding my friend!

Make sure your case has good positive pressure. It also looks like that profile is set to launch at startup. If its left to its own devices, the card should underclock itself when its idle. Mine at 700mhz idles at 64c, when its at 51mhz it idles at 43c.

Mine would idle 45-50 depending on room temp. Could try replying tim or place a fan aimed at the grille looking part of the heatsink and see if that helps.

you need an intake fan blowing on it. Not just 3 exhaust fans. If the negative pressure is too great it will suck the fresh air away from your GPU.

my 480 SLI is idling at 47/43 right now with 44% fan speed, but theres a 1000rpm 140mm fan right in front of them, no HDDs or wires in the way.

Here's what I have on my HAF942...

The side fan is pushing air out.... the two top fans are sucking air in... the front fan is pushing in... the back fan is pushing air out..

Am I at the wrong pressures?

I think it's too hot too. Mine is 45-50. 50ish under light usage (720p file playing).

If you're running two monitors it'll do that - something to do with it not being able to downclock or something.

Video cards can take a lot of heat, I wouldnt worry about it. I seen 8800s reach over 100 degrees full load rock solid stable.

it was a known fact the gtx 480 were very hot cards,why did u buy one in the first place?.....those cards used to run at 90 degrees full load so i guess your temps are fine,maybe some case ventilation would help..

Here's what I have on my HAF942...

The side fan is pushing air out.... the two top fans are sucking air in... the front fan is pushing in... the back fan is pushing air out..

Am I at the wrong pressures?

The front and side fan should be pushing cool air in right at the card. The top and rear fan should be exhaust fans.

*edit*

At 6:10 on this video it shows how the fans should be set up. Arrows showing the intake and exhaust. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWf47-UVXUE

If you are running 2 displays that will also cause high idle temps.

Last edited:
it was a known fact the gtx 480 were very hot cards,why did u buy one in the first place?.....those cards used to run at 90 degrees full load so i guess your temps are fine,maybe some case ventilation would help..

I have the same case, and card as OP. My idle temps sit between 35-40 with load temp really never hitting above high 70s. I adjusted the fan profile in Afterburner, along with adding a 120mm fan to the gpu fan shroud which also dropped it a degree or 2. I don't think I've ever seen it go above 80 degrees, and that is like mid summer in this small room in the hot ass state of Alabama.

There was some set of older drivers that wouldn't downclock the card or something at one time that kept idle temps about 10 degrees higher. I think I'm on the BF3 release set right now, whatever those were.(295?)

I don't understand how my stuff is sitting so hot. I even purchased another fan for the HAF 942 case.
I think its either creating a vacuum or very poor airflow. Even when my room isnt hot, the card is still sitting above 65c

Thinking the card may have something wrong with it. It has never been OC'd.

I don't understand how my stuff is sitting so hot. I even purchased another fan for the HAF 942 case.
I think its either creating a vacuum or very poor airflow. Even when my room isnt hot, the card is still sitting above 65c

Did you reverse the fans? They are running backwards from what you said in your post above.
If you are running 2 displays that will also make higher idle temps.

I would not run 2 exhaust fans at the top,just 1 at top and 1 at the rear for exhaust. The forward top fan seams like more harm than good,can cause a vacuum pulling more air out than pushing in. Or maybe that forward top fan is designed to intake air,that might be ok.
Maybe add that optional fan behind the hard drive if it will fit.

Did you reverse the fans? They are running backwards from what you said in your post above.
If you are running 2 displays that will also make higher idle temps.

I would not run 2 exhaust fans at the top,just 1 at top and 1 at the rear for exhaust. The forward top fan seams like more harm than good,can cause a vacuum pulling more air out than pushing in. Or maybe that forward top fan is designed to intake air,that might be ok.
Maybe add that optional fan behind the hard drive if it will fit.

I have the fan in the back pushing air out... I have the side case pushing air in. I have the front fan pushing air in... I have the two top fans pushing air out

I have the fan in the back pushing air out... I have the side case pushing air in. I have the front fan pushing air in... I have the two top fans pushing air out
That would be negative air pressure and I don't think its good for your video card cooling. If there is a vacuum it will be pulling air from the card instead of pushing air into it.

There are only 2 fans pushing air in and 3 fans pulling air out+ the video card and power supply pulling air out. Try reversing the forward top fan,it has a dust filter. That should be better.

That would be negative air pressure and I don't think its good for your video card cooling. If there is a vacuum it will be pulling air from the card instead of pushing air into it.

There are only 2 fans pushing air in and 3 fans pulling air out+ the video card and power supply pulling air out. Try reversing the forward top fan,it has a dust filter. That should be better.

I second this suggestion. Test that out, and also compare the temperatures after removing the top, front exhaust fan.

Hmm, that's on the high side even for the GTX 480. That said, 90-95 C during load should be well within specs, though uncomfortably hot.

When I had 480s in SLI the top idled at 92c and the bottom card idled at 89c but they would reach 105c occasionally with the side of my case on at full load running Furmark.

My single 480 I have left is running 82c idle right now with a not-exactly-cool Xonar Essence STX directly below it. I haven't ever had a problem with either card and they've served me well. 68c is well within spec for the 480 as is 95c for load.

are you running dual displays by chance?

i am running dual displays. ones at 1920x1200 and another at 2560x1440. Fan speed is at 56% and it idles around 58C. Still high. Got three fans pushing air in and three fans pushing air out.

I have a Phantom Case with 2 480's in SLI. I have a PCI slot fan in between them. They idle on at around 32 C and the hottest I have ever seen them get after 4 hours of gaming straight, was 72 C. They are not overclocked, and my room ranges from 77 to 80 F. I did had to install an indoor AC unit after getting my 480's.

Last edited:
Trust me guys, his card isn't throttling down. Its locked at 3D clocks. Those temps are fine if your locked in 3D clocks. The only time you'll get around 40-45c is when it clocks down toe 51mhz.

Too hot even by GTX 480 standards. Mine is sitting here right now idling around the 52 mark.

When I play games I manually turn the fan up to 70 percent because obviously you all know how quickly and hot these bad boys get but that's besides the point here. ;)

i am running dual displays. ones at 1920x1200 and another at 2560x1440. Fan speed is at 56% and it idles around 58C. Still high. Got three fans pushing air in and three fans pushing air out.

yep thats because nvidia added and then removed the multi-display 2D clocks for the 400 and 500 series cards. so it just sits at full 3D clocks with 2 or 3 displays like all their other cards have since the 8 series. its one of the things that pisses me off the most about nvidia.

Just use nVidia Inspector to force the card into P12 power state when you aren't gaming. My GTX 480 idles at 34c this way.

Just use nVidia Inspector to force the card into P12 power state when you aren't gaming. My GTX 480 idles at 34c this way.

hmm didn't know you could do that with nvidia inspector.. time to play around with it some more i guess.

I've tried this, it didn't drastically change the results - was more about the same.

Hmm, that's on the high side even for the GTX 480. That said, 90-95 C during load should be well within specs, though uncomfortably hot.

Yeah... It's bearable but I dont know why it's so damned hot :(

are you running dual displays by chance?
Dual displays makes it sit around 70-72C instead of 60-65C

Trust me guys, his card isn't throttling down. Its locked at 3D clocks. Those temps are fine if your locked in 3D clocks. The only time you'll get around 40-45c is when it clocks down toe 51mhz.
The clock is actually going down to 51mhz successfully, I've confirmed this with EVGA precision.

Never heard of Inspector - is there a download link anywhere?

The new Evga Precision X down clocks my cards to 50/963 now both cards are idling at 41 and 42 degrees Celsius .

my top 7970 idled around 65-71c. My GTX 680 is around 44c on the top card, even while watching live TV with WMC.

The new Evga Precision X down clocks my cards to 50/963 now both cards are idling at 41 and 42 degrees Celsius .

I'll try that, but I really think this GPU is just defective and needs a replacement.

Back