GTX 480 doubt

iusahell

n00b
So, today my gtx 480 arrived and everything looks good and got that lovely smell of new hardware:D.

I fired crysis right away everything at very high:D 1920x1200 no AA, fraps usually stays on 30's 35's sometimes 55ish, is that ok? i mean its the first level at the beach....i was wondering if has anything to do with fact that im using this q9300@3ghz (can't overclock to 3.6) and not an i7@4ghz. What kind of fps numbers are u gettin in that game and that level (not internet review numbers actually pleope using it along with s775 quads and phenom II rigs ill like to know what % of this gtx 480 im really taking advantage[/COLOR]:confused:

In any case it fells smooth and has been my biggest upgrade from a 7100gs go figures...
Finally a card that plays everything that i missed all this years, and downclocks well to 100mhz core and 65mhz memory and stays 45, 48 idle and 87 max that i seen after 30 min of crysis, my room temps are about 26° C so i guess isnt that bad as some ati users made it look like.

with a Q9300 @ 3.0 you are not going to fully push that gtx480. you might as well use AA in almost every game you can since not using is not going to result in better performance. of course something like Metro2033 would be an obvious exception.

This is not what you'd want to hear... but, I'd say it's basically the platform you're running it on. The G31 is a weak chipset. You could also use a higher overclock. 3.3ghz or higher, that would help a little.

It's like putting a V8 into a Honda Civic...

I would put that card on a 890FX/P55/X58 system running at 3.3ghz or higher.

youll have to download the crysis benchmark tool from guru3d and run that. running a random fps meter at a random spot is not going to tell you how your system compares with others. using the tool at 1920 with 4xaa and 16xaf with everything on very high my system pulls around 38-40fps. i am 100% sure that your cpu and board are gimping your video performance though without a doubt.

This is not what you'd want to hear... but, I'd say it's basically the platform you're running it on. The G31 is a weak chipset. You could also use a higher overclock. 3.3ghz or higher, that would help a little.

It's like putting a V8 into a Honda Civic...

I would put that card on a 890FX/P55/X58 system running at 3.3ghz or higher.

I have no problem with your opinion mate;) but ill like to know what makes the diference? its g31 but it has full pci x16 slot v1.1 wich is equal to pci x8 2.0, thats 5% performance drop, so basically i need something like 400mhz more in my quad right?:confused: those 400mhz could help:(:(

Another thing that i've noticed its when v-sync is on i dips to single digits, when its off usually stays in 30's with some screen tearing but isnt that terrible as some people say.

Im usind dvi-d connection but refresh rate is at 59hz not 60hz, when i try to fix it to 60hz inmediately goes back to 59hz...is this normal?

youll have to download the crysis benchmark tool from guru3d and run that. running a random fps meter at a random spot is not going to tell you how your system compares with others. using the tool at 1920 with 4xaa and 16xaf with everything on very high my system pulls around 38-40fps. i am 100% sure that your cpu and board are gimping your video performance though without a doubt.

can u post a gif pic of crysis bench of guru3d with: level name, number of loops, time of the day etc.. where u got ur numbers? :) so i could realize the difference please;)

with a Q9300 @ 3.0 you are not going to fully push that gtx480. you might as well use AA in almost every game you can since not using is not going to result in better performance. of course something like Metro2033 would be an obvious exception.

+1 enable more eyecandy your CPU is your bottleneck. Jump AA to 4x.

5/26/2010 6:04:54 PM - Vista 64
Beginning Run #1 on Map-island, Demo-benchmark_gpu
DX10 1920x1080, AA=4x, Vsync=Disabled, 32 bit test, FullScreen
Demo Loops=3, Time Of Day= 9
Global Game Quality: VeryHigh
==============================================================
TimeDemo Play Started , (Total Frames: 2000, Recorded Time: 111.86s)
!TimeDemo Run 0 Finished.
Play Time: 53.32s, Average FPS: 37.51
Min FPS: 25.39 at frame 153, Max FPS: 45.36 at frame 999
Average Tri/Sec: -10456229, Tri/Frame: -278775
Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -3.29

Completed All Tests

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>>--SUMMARY--<<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

5/26/2010 6:04:54 PM - Vista 64

Run #1- DX10 1920x1080 AA=4x, 32 bit test, Quality: VeryHigh

Guru3d's Crysis benchmark doesnt work properly for me (using Steam version of Crysis) I choose graphic settings and when I click Begin Benchmarking it launches Crysis, runs through the 3 loops but never reports any framerates in the result file. All I get is this:

6/8/2010 2:46:49 PM - Vista 64

Completed All Tests

Also im using Win 7 64bit, Not Vista.

Guru3d's Crysis benchmark doesnt work properly for me (using Steam version of Crysis) I choose graphic settings and when I click Begin Benchmarking it launches Crysis, runs through the 3 loops but never reports any framerates in the result file. All I get is this:

Completed All Tests

Also im using Win 7 64bit, Not Vista.

Look for the previous version on www.crymod.com, I had a similar issue using Win 7 64, non steam.

I'm running win7 x64 non steam and it worked fine for me. It says vista64 but I'm on win7 x64. Shrug.

when I run the timedemo benchmark_gpu I have to play it, should not run alone?:confused: ie it should be like the benchmark of fear generated by the game does not? or each loop is a separate mission? I do not understand very well when it is assumed that each loop is finished? it's boring having to play all over again I just want to know how many fps I get in the benchmark:mad:

Whuh? It's a demo, you don't play it. The demo starts in the sky and falls down through the clouds onto an island and works itself across the island for about a minute and then restarts and runs two more times. You must be doing something wrong.

@Astrodave
yeah i finally ran the benchmark tool and the results werent so nice:

but when i ran with no AA:

why my fps goes down when i choose 4AA if im bottlenecked anyways?:confused:

this kinda sucks, i tought this quad was enough for gtx 480 since its barely better than a gtx 295, a few months back i heard that at 1920x1200 the bottleneck should be marginal but this show otherwise, i lost almost 10 fps in min, another 10 in average, and 10 in max too:mad: this isnt what i had planned and spend more money into i7+mobo+ram+new psu+another gtx480 for sli for more bottleneck isnt cool either plus sandy bridge will show that bloomfield bottlenecks gtx 480 sli too, cause that's a worth upgrade to me for a new setup and not only to get those 10fps in min avg max:mad: this aint fair:(

one thing you need to make sure of is that you have the 3d discover/vision option DISABLED in the drivers. Even if you don't use it and the checkbox is enabled, crysis and a few other games will run twice as slow. You can disable it by Browsing the Start Menu > NVIDIA Corporation > 3D Vision and select &#8220;Disable 3D VISION Discover&#8221;. It may or may not be enabled for you anyway but in my case this feature destroys my crysis frame rate even if 3d isn't even turned on.

u think sli gtx 480 is worth for this game? i have money for a new setup and gtx 480sli but i think its overkill...(and i thought i was [H]ard):eek:...plus other games that would justify spend so much money? (enjoy crysis and then what? metro? meh..i dont like games like stalker they are buggy and difficult to me and boring), my lcd monitor its only 60hz. By the way are u running ur 480 at stock or overclocked? if its overclocked; can you tell me what speed you have in your core memory and shader?:)

Back