GTX 480 available for pre-order!

I think Sunin said a while ago he was considering it, but not 100% sure.
 
lol 600 bucks.. must be on crack.. numbers so far dont show a 600 dollar value..
 
lol 600 bucks.. must be on crack.. numbers so far dont show a 600 dollar value..

Also if the shaders are to be at 1250mhz as rumored it may not fold as good as we are hoping.
Then again you could always run two GPU clients on the same card, could be interesting.
 
I liked the first site to have the pre order, they had the 470 on sale for 70$ more than the normal price, said you saved -$70 LOL
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Are there more shaders then previous gen and does that help on the larger units?

Does the card handle more operations per clock cycle?

yes there are double the shaders.. but the question comes down to are the WU's large enough to take advantage of all the shaders.. and currently thats a no.. the only ones that would are the 1888 pt WU's and a couple others.. and its also been proven that on the smaller WU's ones that use less shaders then are available to the card the higher shader clock has a bigger effect then the amount of shaders..

so far with the numbers id expect these to sell around 500-550 not 600 dollars..
 
With rumors of only a few thousand 480s worldwide at launch, good luck getting one even near MSRP.
I bet we see ebay/craigslist at $1000.
 
Ill wait a few months to see how prices=folding goes. not that i have ever bought a current top end card. Im hoping it will drop the price on the gtx295 considerable
 
I'll be keeping my GPU portion of my farm untouched. I can't see upgrading my GTX285's anytime soon (running Tri-SLI) so GTX480 is out of scope for me.
 
GeForce GTX 480 : 480 SP, 700/1401/1848MHz core/shader/mem, 384-bit, 1536MB, 295W TDP, US$499

GeForce GTX 470 : 448 SP, 607/1215/1674MHz core/shader/mem, 320-bit, 1280MB, 225W TDP, US$349

officially makes the GTX 4x0 series completely worthless for folding.. my GTX 260 should out perform the GTX 480.. unless the card some how has some ungodly ability to overclock which i highly doubt with its TDP and heat issues it looks like they will be a waste of money for the first gen..

source:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-final-specs--pricing-revealed/8635.html
 
Sorry, but your 260's operating frequency means nothing. Your 260 has less than half the cores of a 470. A 470 will eat your 260's asshole for breakfast.
 
Sorry, but your 260's high operating frequency means nothing. Your 260 has less than half the cores of a 470. A 470 will eat your 260's asshole for breakfast.


SP's dont mean anything right now.. there are maybe 2 or 3 WU's that even exceed 216 SP's let alone even taking advantage of 480 SP's on the 480 which then the shader clock speeds make a much larger difference on those that do not exceed 216SP's.. its why there are still WU's out there where the 8800GT still kicks GTX2xx series cards asses because they dont exceed 112 shaders thus the shader clock on the 8800GT's out performs the GTX2xx series cards..
 
Can't run two WU's at once on one GPU?


ive seen some people try it GTX2xx series cards.. but doubt you will see any benefit from it due to it having to share the gpu.. but im sure some one will try it to find out of it does work or not.. but for the power usage of that card they should easily be pushing 1600mhz if not more on the shaders.. but more shaders doesnt always mean better performance in the folding world.. at least not yet.. still have no clue what nvidia's smoking with the 470 having the shaders at 1215mhz.. what a waste..
 
I'm sure they'll find a way to make the other shaders useful. After all, with ATI's shader count, and the fact that in the future we're probably just looking at more and more shader counts and NOT increasing clock speeds, they really ought to.
 
I'm kinda hoping the new nVidia cards are useless.

That way everyone from "other" teams that were praising it would be wrong. :D

-bigadv, for the win!!!! ;)
 
I'm sure they'll find a way to make the other shaders useful. After all, with ATI's shader count, and the fact that in the future we're probably just looking at more and more shader counts and NOT increasing clock speeds, they really ought to.


problem is you cant really compare ATI shader counts to nvidia.. they dont even work the same.. with ATI each shader core equals 5 shader's and run at much slower speeds then nvidia's shaders.. gaming wise more shaders have a huge difference but for GPGPU it has a much smaller advantage.. speed still trumps the amount of shader cores for right now.. until F@H starts releasing more WU's that exceed 240 shader cores..
 
Ill save my money on two fermis, and build another dually bigadv :)

kthxbi
 
I'm just not feeling the love for these cards right now. I'm getting 9500+ ppd per each gtx275 at 1600mhz for the shaders and based on the discussion so far I don't see the 470/480 kicking their butts enough to make me want to switch or put them in a new rig.
 
As long as I can top 15k I'll sell my 295 for one, might even get a pair if the price evens the sale of both 295's
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Vaulter. how come you don't have one already? I am disappointed in you. :p
 
If they would come out soon lol
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

but I did just drop 550$ for a pair of 5530's Skynet lives on!!!!
 
As long as I can top 15k I'll sell my 295 for one, might even get a pair if the price evens the sale of both 295's
Posted via [H] Mobile Device


i highly doubt they will even break 11k ppd unless you can get some insane overclock out of them and then at that point even the GTX 295's would be more efficient then the gtx 480 when it comes to power usage.. best bet is waiting for the second gen/refresh 4xx series..
 
Well, this is my gamer rig too, and I've got 700$ of GPU going unused (no sli / win xp) pretty much, and I bet these would do ok, my 295's are only at 1300 lol
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Well, this is my gamer rig too, and I've got 700$ of GPU going unused (no sli / win xp) pretty much, and I bet these would do ok, my 295's are only at 1300 lol
Posted via [H] Mobile Device


gaming wise the 480 would murder the 295's.. but folding its a totally different story..
 
I'd probly go 470's and OC them, heat would be lower and I know I'd get a better OC than my 295's, I can't OC them ove 50 MHz with current WU's
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
I'd probly go 470's and OC them, heat would be lower and I know I'd get a better OC than my 295's, I can't OC them ove 50 MHz with current WU's
Posted via [H] Mobile Device


its really going to come down to the reviews.. until those hit im not going to speculate on the overclocking.. the question will be though is if the PCB's have a 300w or 400w limit on them.. if its 300w's then you can kiss overclocking goodbye.. but if its 400w like the 5970 then there might be some possibility there.. but we can pretty much say if the 480 shader processors on the GTX 480 is correct.. then we know that underclocking the shaders wasnt enough to lower the power usage on the card to bring it below 300w to compete with the 5970.. so if thats the case.. then the shaders are using a shit load more power then expected which might also kill the overclocking..
 
its really going to come down to the reviews.. until those hit im not going to speculate on the overclocking.. the question will be though is if the PCB's have a 300w or 400w limit on them.. if its 300w's then you can kiss overclocking goodbye.. but if its 400w like the 5970 then there might be some possibility there.. but we can pretty much say if the 480 shader processors on the GTX 480 is correct.. then we know that underclocking the shaders wasnt enough to lower the power usage on the card to bring it below 300w to compete with the 5970.. so if thats the case.. then the shaders are using a shit load more power then expected which might also kill the overclocking..
This doesn't look like a good year for the GPU client, at least not in the first half. Between the lambda WUs and uncertainty of the new GPU architecture, 2010 is shaping up to be a boon year for the SMP clients.
 
Claiming that shader count doesn't have any effect on PPD is just silly. There are tangible and significant differences in PPD when comparing 192SP GTX260s, 216SP GTX260s, and even GTX275s and GTX285s. We don't have enough information to make an assessment of whether or not a card with double the shaders of what's currently out there will yield any improvement. The only thing we can do is wait, but I have to say that I would be very surprised if GF100 doesn't end up putting out significantly more PPD than current cards.
 
ChrisRay, may he RIP hinted the Fermi cards would be F@H monsters.
 
Yea, EVGA's insider that "" was folding Fermis "" seemed to swear by nearly 20k per card

now he put out 2 mil in one day, he obviously has access to amazing hardware
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
SP's dont mean anything right now.. there are maybe 2 or 3 WU's that even exceed 216 SP's let alone even taking advantage of 480 SP's on the 480 which then the shader clock speeds make a much larger difference on those that do not exceed 216SP's.. its why there are still WU's out there where the 8800GT still kicks GTX2xx series cards asses because they dont exceed 112 shaders thus the shader clock on the 8800GT's out performs the GTX2xx series cards..

show me a 8800gt or any other card kicking a gtx260 cards ass on any wu. my gtx-216 never drops below 8000 ppd. except the bigger 200 series cards
 
Yea, EVGA's insider that "" was folding Fermis "" seemed to swear by nearly 20k per card

now he put out 2 mil in one day, he obviously has access to amazing hardware
Was this FahMan by any chance?
 
show me a 8800gt or any other card kicking a gtx260 cards ass on any wu. my gtx-216 never drops below 8000 ppd. except the bigger 200 series cards
I think there were reports of a few new WUs recently that demonstrated an unusually low PPD for the 200-series. With a few of those WUs, the 8800GT actually performed very well (over 8000 PPD on some cards) and folded faster than the 200s. Mind you, this was demonstrated only a very few times and I have not seen these WUs come up again since they were introduced.
 
I was gonna say, my 3 g92 cards are hitting 5500 ppd tops, all at 1800+ shaders

my damn 295's went back to stock (1250 ish) and get about 7,800 ppd on good units

Too bad that rig went down today :(
reboot and it locks up at the login screen
looks like a refresh of XP is in my future tonight
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Back
Top