GTX 470 vs Radeon 6870

ArbY

Limp Gawd
Newegg has an instant 10% off on video cards and I'm about ready to chuck the 8800GT's and get a single card. I've narrowed down my search to either a GTX 470 or a 6870. These cards seem exchange blows in benchmarks, and I'd like some feedback that will help me decide between the two.

So far I've read that the 4xx cards run hot, draw more power, and make lots of noise. While the 6870 has none of those characteristics. If the 470 and the 6870 were both the same price, which would people choose and why? Is the 6870 the no-brainer here?

GTX 470 beats the 6870 in %80-%90 idk which ones you are looking at. It's only about 5 percent faster though and uses more power.

I got a MSI 470 today for 205 shipped. If you can get the 470 for the same price, jump on it. But if the 6870 ends up cheaper, then go with that.

Oh you mean the card I bought? It was open box + the promo code came out to 204.49. Next best price is the Gigabyte GTX 470 for $221 after promo code.

Multiple Radeon HD5850's for $207 though. Mind you it is a little bit slower.

Wow, that was lame.

Back to the OP's topic. I have an EVGA 470 and yes, the fan spins up and is quite noisy. I have contemplated returning it for a 6870 but I am not all that comfortable with AMD drivers. Just this month they have had 3 hotfixes for the drivers.

I do like the performance the 470 has tho.

-Flake

Actually, you can get an MSI GTX 470 for $213.99 after the discount code & $20 MIR (link). The next best option is the Gigabyte IronRuler posted.

Wow, that was lame.

Back to the OP's topic. I have an EVGA 470 and yes, the fan spins up and is quite noisy. I have contemplated returning it for a 6870 but I am not all that comfortable with AMD drivers. Just this month they have had 3 hotfixes for the drivers.

I do like the performance the 470 has tho.

-Flake

since when a company being on top of driver issues or update a bad thing. Not to pick on you or anything, would you rather have them not release a driver even if there is a bug reported.

The 6000 series is slightly different architecture and with the new AA, I am pretty sure they are hard at work working out all the driver bugs.

since when a company being on top of driver issues or update a bad thing. Not to pick on you or anything, would you rather have them not release a driver even if there is a bug reported.

The 6000 series is slightly different architecture and with the new AA, I am pretty sure they are hard at work working out all the driver bugs.

There can be too much of a good thing, updates are great but continously upgrading drivers gets to be headache.

look at it this way.
the difference between both cards is marginal. ergo, you will probably be able to play most games with the same settings using either card. performance varies from game to game but generally the scenario should be the one i mentioned.

taking that into account the 6870 offers less heat, noise and power consumption. also, i think MLAA is a feature worthy of taking into account.

those are my 2 cents. im also considering a new gpu and right now the 6870 is my choice.

I was looking at the same two cards. Pulled the trigger on a XFX 6870 due to be here tomorrow.

The heat and noise were turn offs.
Performance is a toss up.
Eyefinity is less expensive.
3D is not important to me.
Nvidia the company rubs me the wrong way.
AMD gets my money and want it to be stronger.
My motherboard supports crossfire and not SLI.

I went from 9800 pro -> 7800GT -> 3870 Crossfire -> GTX 260 -> 6870 so I don't consider myself a fan boy.

470's overclock well (a 20% overclock is very common) and for $220 it is without a doubt the hottest deal out there right now. Its hot though.

Why the XFX 6870?? Where'd you get it from, please don't tell me newegg.

Yeah I got it at Newegg for $240 shipped. Shipping was $5 less than the rest and the 10% off coupon worked on it. XFX tech support reputation and double lifetime warranty played a part. If Asus wasn't out of stock every time I looked for four days I probably would have gone that way.

Its loud. Nothing else wrong with it at all (and that might not be "wrong" to you, its loud but cooler).

Where did you see that it is louder?

XFX card is much louder as it uses a much more agressive fan profile. See Anand or anyone else

Edit:
Well, there 6850 is much louder, and I suppose I cannot find a review for the 6870. So maybe that one is reference.

Edit2: Fixed multiple terrible garmmar mistakes.

Last edited:
Whats wrong with the XFX 6870?
Overpriced

Yeah I got it at Newegg for $240 shipped. Shipping was $5 less than the rest and the 10% off coupon worked on it. XFX tech support reputation and double lifetime warranty played a part. If Asus wasn't out of stock every time I looked for four days I probably would have gone that way.
Where did you see that it is louder?

Why didn't you get the cheapest one?? You could have gotten a 5870 for about the same price!!
Are you PLANNING on the card dying on you, or planning to keep it for a lifetime??

Its loud. Nothing else wrong with it at all (and that might not be "wrong" to you, its loud but cooler).

Just a heads up, but I bought the 6970 (upgraded from a 4870), and it is NOT loud on default profile values (automatic). My room regularly is around 80-85F, and my card runs up to about 70C (cooler than the 4870), but yet it's never spun up its fan loudly. Now, I can force the fan up in Catalyst Control Center, and sure, it sounds like a model jet engine, but I've never had it ramp itself up to any noticable volume, I had to force it.

I went with the XFX for the 6970 because the support is supposed to be fantastic. If you look back a page or two on the AMD video card board here, you'll see a guy was in a fit because XFX support took too long to respond. How long was too long? 3 hours.... :-/ I know any time I contacted support for a manufacturer, it was usually over 24 hours before I heard a response, and that was on a good week.

I'm loving the new card thus far. I went almost the same route as "ochadd," except I went from 7800gt to 4850, then 4870 1gb.

The only hesitation I had buying a 6870 instead of 470 was 3d vision, but honestly, I'm too poor to do 3d any time soon anyway (considering I'm already on a 23" LCD with nothing worth upgrading to in sight, nor the funds to do so :-/

The only other hesitation I can think of is that if you can wait a month, you can get the 69XX cayman cards. Had I not sold my 4870 before getting a new card (was planning on the 470 and 3d, but 6870 came out that week, and I knew I couldn't afford 3d), I would have likely waited for the 69XX or even the next iteration. I'm very happy with my 6870 currently though.

Overpriced

Why didn't you get the cheapest one?? You could have gotten a 5870 for about the same price!!
Are you PLANNING on the card dying on you, or planning to keep it for a lifetime??

I didn't buy the cheapest for the same reason I don't by knockoff chinese alternatives to everything I want to purchase. Paying a $15 premium for better QA and support is worth that much.

The double lifetime warranty makes XFX cards sell better than most when I decide to update.

The XFX and ASUS 5870 are $60-110 more expensive even after waiting two months for a rebate and the 6870 is damn close to it.

I went with the XFX for the 6970 because the support is supposed to be fantastic.
That's funny...I buy a certain video card because it offers the best performance for my dollar, not the best support when it breaks (which btw Gigabyte's support is great)

I didn't buy the cheapest for the same reason I don't by knockoff chinese alternatives to everything I want to purchase. Paying a $15 premium for better QA and support is worth that much.
The double lifetime warranty makes XFX cards sell better than most when I decide to update.
The XFX and ASUS 5870 are $60-110 more expensive even after waiting two months for a rebate and the 6870 is damn close to it.
1. Gigabyte is Taiwanese not Chinese, herp derp. Not to mention they're quality http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125347&cm_re=6870-_-14-125-347-_-Product

2. So you buy a lifetime warranty and then not keep it a lifetime. Makes perfect sense

3. This 5870 would cost $243 after rebate and 10% coupon Sapphire is a great brand!

Last edited:
That's funny...I buy a certain video card because it offers the best performance for my dollar, not the best support when it breaks (which btw Gigabyte's support is great)

1. Gigabyte is Taiwanese not Chinese, herp derp. Not to mention they're quality http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125347&cm_re=6870-_-14-125-347-_-Product

2. So you buy a lifetime warranty and then not keep it a lifetime. Makes perfect sense

3. This 5870 would cost $243 after rebate and 10% coupon Sapphire is a great brand!

1. I'd rather have Asus or XFX over Gigabyte any day.
2. Yes I buy a transferable lifetime warranty because it makes sense.
3. How long would I have waited for that rebate?
3a. What are the chances I would never get it at all?

Now look at the prices climbing for the 6870 across the board. Guess I fricken nailed it buying the best brand they had in stock two days before they upped the prices.

1. I'd rather have Asus or XFX over Gigabyte any day.
2. Yes I buy a transferable lifetime warranty because it makes sense.
3. How long would I have waited for that rebate?
3a. What are the chances I would never get it at all?

Now look at the prices climbing for the 6870 across the board. Guess I fricken nailed it buying the best brand they had in stock two days before they upped the prices.
1. Explain, has Gigabyte ever given you a bad experience or something. I just want to know why you wouldn't buy from them.
2. Are you buying the graphics card so the next person who owns it has a warranty, shouldn't you just be focusing on getting the card YOU want for YOU to enjoy, who cares about the next guy?? I mean I'd be a cool guy and RMA hardware for someone I knew but I wouldn't buy a piece of hardware just because when I sell it, someone else will have their ass wiped.
3/3a. Idk, but who cares, the money would come in a couple of weeks, if you did all the instructions correctly. I've never gotten screwed by a rebate.

What did you get your 6870 for??

1. Explain, has Gigabyte ever given you a bad experience or something. I just want to know why you wouldn't buy from them.
2. Are you buying the graphics card so the next person who owns it has a warranty, shouldn't you just be focusing on getting the card YOU want for YOU to enjoy, who cares about the next guy?? I mean I'd be a cool guy and RMA hardware for someone I knew but I wouldn't buy a piece of hardware just because when I sell it, someone else will have their ass wiped.
3/3a. Idk, but who cares, the money would come in a couple of weeks, if you did all the instructions correctly. I've never gotten screwed by a rebate.

What did you get your 6870 for??

1. A local computer shop and a friend of mine have had issues with Gigabyte RMAs. They had to pay for shipping and took a "long" time to get back. Personally I have never owned anything Gigabyte. I buy Asus whenever I can
2. It will hopefully bring me the same $ at resale than it costs me at purchase. Also the companies that offer lifetime support typically have top notch support.

I paid $240 shipped.

The ASUS 6870 I had was annoying at 50% fan, anything above that was ridiculous for gaming.
I switched back to a EVGA 470, the fan is a lot quiter at the same speed. More of a whoosh sound than a noisy fan. The 470 OC's way better than the 6870. 20-40% OC vs 10%.
The 470 produces more heat but performance wise including overclocking/DX11, it's the better card.

Last edited:
470 for about $200 is awesome, I don't know why everyone says they are hot, they are no different than any other card I have owned, heat or noise wise. I would take it over a 5870 unless the 5870 was reference and only $250 new. I'd take a 6870 over a 470 at maybe $185 tops.

1. A local computer shop and a friend of mine have had issues with Gigabyte RMAs. They had to pay for shipping and took a "long" time to get back. Personally I have never owned anything Gigabyte. I buy Asus whenever I can
2. It will hopefully bring me the same $ at resale than it costs me at purchase. Also the companies that offer lifetime support typically have top notch support.

I paid $240 shipped.
At $240 you have an argument, that's all ya had to say :p
That's the average low for a 6870 anyway :)

Well I ended up going with an HIS 6870. $215.99 after discount on Newegg. I did consider the noise versus the GTX 470. But I was really sold on the MLAA feature. I have been deprived of enjoying AA over the years in games where FPS matters more than eyecandy. It's a feature I am really looking forward to using. The next upgrade will be from the current E6850 (3.0GHz) to a Q9550 (2.8GHz). At which point, I think my computer will be good for another couple of years.

The GTX 470 may be the better card, but it came down to features and nit picking when I finally had to decide. In the end, I felt like I would've regretted going with the GTX 470, and so I didn't.

Here are the deciding differences between the two cards:

6870: Far less heat, 80watts less at load, MLAA, HDMI 1.4a.

470: Slightly more performance, 256MB more VRAM, it's a "Fermi".

The only other thing is price. The 6870 is so much more efficient that you WILL make up a part of the higher price over time with lower bills. You will not be losing much of anything by choosing one over the other.

Well I ended up going with an HIS 6870. $215.99 after discount on Newegg. I did consider the noise versus the GTX 470. But I was really sold on the MLAA feature. I have been deprived of enjoying AA over the years in games where FPS matters more than eyecandy. It's a feature I am really looking forward to using. The next upgrade will be from the current E6850 (3.0GHz) to a Q9550 (2.8GHz). At which point, I think my computer will be good for another couple of years.

The GTX 470 may be the better card, but it came down to features and nit picking when I finally had to decide. In the end, I felt like I would've regretted going with the GTX 470, and so I didn't.

you did good, actually it would have been hard to have done bad here. its amazing how close these cards came to each other, even H only gave the nod to the 6870 for the power difference (performance wash). when you have a situation like that all you can do is nit pick between the two. what else is there? I don't like the power draw and such so I would favor the 6870 but others would have like the physx or better support for 3d gaming. I think though your going to find MLAA a nice feature. so far I love it, it def adds to the games.

Back