GTX 470 Question

RoGuE1230

Limp Gawd
I have a quick question about the GTX 470.

If you were able to get the GTX 470 at its Black Friday price of 193 minus the $35 mail in rebate, would you still go for it? Or would you wait for something better to come along at Christmas sales?

And is the GTX 470 fan really all that loud as people make it out to be on those videos on youtube? Or is it just the mic amplifying it and people are picky about their systems noise?

1. Depends how bad you want a new card :p if you can wait then do so, hte GTX570 is just around the corner. However the GTX470 is a damn nice card for the price!

2. Again depends on a few things.
-- If you have bad airflow in your case then yes it will be hot and maybe loud
-- The card may have a shit fan profile, always make a custom fan profile with this card. Over 75% fan speed and it starts to get loud and 100% is insane.
-- When you up the voltage it will get toasty indeed.

I was a bit worried about the heat and noise when i ordered mine but it wasn't at all. I run 1.037v 750/1500/1850 and maximum temperature in Kombustor (furmark) and OCCT is 80c and that sits at 75% fan which is audible but not by all means loud at all. When playing games it hits 70-75c max and that's 70% fan speed on on my fan profile, can't hear it at all over the game.

In conclusion, take the heat and noise comments with a bucket of salt.

at $158 it a great value and much less the gtx 460 1gb.

But and aftermarket cooler might be a very worthwhile thought.. ;)

I would love to have a 500 series instead but that will be a lot more than $158. lol

It will be going in my Antec 300 Illusion, so I think there is plenty of airflow. And I can always put another 120mm in that side panel right next to the video card.

Also, I wouldn't be overclocking it at all for a while, so increased voltage issues shouldn't be an issue.

I like the 470 and 480, their fans are loud but not louder than the 5870/6870. They're a little louder than the GTX 200 series reference turbines but not bad. For that price, the 470 cannot be beat.

I went ahead and bought the MSI GTX 470 and was able to get it for the same price as Black Friday. Odd thing though, it said it was OOS again right after I purchased it, but my payment went through completely, so I guess there was one card left. lol

Thanks again all.

Bought the black Friday deal on the MSI GTX 470 and I have no regrets at all.

I don't think any new card can compete with this card for the price point. Under $160.

Bought the black Friday deal on the MSI GTX 470 and I have no regrets at all.

I don't think any new card can compete with this card for the price point. Under $160.

Yeah, I'm very excited about it. It feels weird paying so little for it when my MSI 6600GT cost $200 back in 2004.

I went ahead and bought the MSI GTX 470 and was able to get it for the same price as Black Friday. Odd thing though, it said it was OOS again right after I purchased it, but my payment went through completely, so I guess there was one card left. lol

Thanks again all.

Lucky!!!:eek:

Yeah for that price it's win no matter how you cut it.
Who cares if it runs hot, it's designed too!

Yeah for ~155 a GTX470 won't be beat for quite some time. GTX570 was just rumored to be $400 no?

Back