Sys specs

i7 2600k @ 4.0Ghz
8GB RAM
Asus p8p67

I basically only play 3 games.

BF3 - runs fine
Left4Dead2 - will very rarely freeze up

Diablo 3 - The Devil's in the details.

The card pretty much hops and stays at 75C (according to MSI afterburner) as soon as the game is fired up.

Usually after about 10 minutes of play, the PC will "freeze." The screens go black, the high rev'ing vid card fan shuts off, and all sound kills. Then after about 3 seconds, the game picks right back up.

After this happens, it will happen again randomly around 5 minute intervals until the PC hard locks.

Here's the problem. I cannot determine if it is the video card or the latest patch for D3. The reason I say that is that I ripped off the heatsink and put on some decent thermal paste which lowered my temps.

I've been running Prime95 while typing this, and have been just fine. I have disabled hyperthreading, and CPU's cores are at 67, 75, 74, & 71C max. I realize this might be a bit high, but should be within tolerances.

I have tried underclocking the vid card, with the same results. I have never overclocked the GTX 470, although I have seen it run quite hot (near 100) in the past before I forced high fan speeds.

So... who thinks its D3, or did I mess something up when taking off the heatsink? Note again - I did both at the same time. BF3 never freezes, and L4D2 will very rarely freeze.

I've tried multiple driver versions with the same results.

I had stability issues with a 6950 in Diablo 3. It was perfectly stable with the overclock and voltage settings in everything else I ran including furmark, but D3 required I significantly up the voltage.

Yup... increasing the vid card voltage from 1012 mw to 1025 made it stable...

Guess that's why they call it a beta.

Back