GTX 460 Price Jack

Evil

Gawd
Was just looking at NewEgg and it looks like I should have bought a card a while back. Evidently people realize the performance of these cards they are slowly jacking up the prices of all of them. Seems like $250.00 is going to be the norm soon for all the 1gb versions irregardless of manufacturer. So much for the inexpensive vidcard upgrade. Looks like I'm going to hold off now until maybe black friday.

They could also be trying to get what they can out of them before they're forced to drop prices due to whatever AMD comes out with in the next few weeks.

eh? There are plenty of gtx 460 1gb on newegg for $220 or $200 after rebate. Also you can get in line at amazon for the asus gtx 460 1gb for $175. Its suppose to ship in "2 to 5 weeks".

They could also be trying to get what they can out of them before they're forced to drop prices due to whatever AMD comes out with in the next few weeks.

That would be nice, I hope that is the case, cause for all the games out now, including Crysis that 460 is really nice.

I would not be surprised to see Nvidia trying to scrape some money together before they are forced to drop prices even further.

Remember GF104 is still a huge die. Its expensive for them even with the fixed yields.

The 6770 that will compete with it will have a smaller die in comparison (Bigger than the 5770 but not by too much) Will have 3D Blu Ray decode support and HDMI 1.4 as well as a bunch of other new features. Indications are that it will lay waste to the 460's market.

eh? There are plenty of gtx 460 1gb on newegg for $220 or $200 after rebate. Also you can get in line at amazon for the asus gtx 460 1gb for $175. Its suppose to ship in "2 to 5 weeks".

Yeah I saw the ones after rebate but I have never liked waiting 4 weeks - 4 years to get a rebate. Companies don't expect people to actually fill out the rebate so I normally ignore "Rebate" sales.

I would not be surprised to see Nvidia trying to scrape some money together before they are forced to drop prices even further.

Remember GF104 is still a huge die. Its expensive for them even with the fixed yields.

The 6770 that will compete with it will have a smaller die in comparison (Bigger than the 5770 but not by too much) Will have 3D Blu Ray decode support and HDMI 1.4 as well as a bunch of other new features. Indications are that it will lay waste to the 460's market.

I seriously doubt Nvidia is raising the price. I'm almost positive the various manufacturers realizing how much money they can get for the cards are raising the price.

Yeah I saw the ones after rebate but I have never liked waiting 4 weeks - 4 years to get a rebate. Companies don't expect people to actually fill out the rebate so I normally ignore "Rebate" sales.
Then you might want to order that Asus at Amazon as an option if your thinking of waiting all the way up to black friday. If it comes early great you get a nice card for cheap without having to do a rebate. If you can find a better deal you can always cancel the amazon order before it ships.

Just thought I'd say this. It doesn't seem to make sense that prices would go up. Oh, and there's a guy at my school who gets offended when you say "jacking" or "jack". His name is Jack. He's really weird...

There hasn't been a price increase. Out of 23 1GB (and 1 2GB) 460's on Newegg, only 3 cards are $250 (4 if you want to include that Asus one at $245) and one of them has a $20 MIR.

So the majority of them are at the original MSRP (229) or lower.

Just thought I'd say this. It doesn't seem to make sense that prices would go up. Oh, and there's a guy at my school who gets offended when you say "jacking" or "jack". His name is Jack. He's really weird...

To bring them up just to bring them down and call it a sale.

prices have not gone up. only ones that are well above msrp are highly overclocked and/or ones with non reference coolers and such that have been that expensive since they came out.

Just thought I'd say this. It doesn't seem to make sense that prices would go up.

To bring them up just to bring them down and call it a sale.

Newegg (and probably other online retailers) does this frequently with products perceived to be undervalued. For example the CM Hyper 212 started out at $29.99, but when all the reviews came out saying it was an awesome cooler for an insane price, they bumped it up to the current price $49.99.

Just retail strategy. More demand means they can raise the price and sell the same number.

I think there was a general assumption from early sales that the GTX460 1GB would plummet in price quickly. The price hasn't gone up, but it hasn't gone down significantly, either.

I think there was a general assumption from early sales that the GTX460 1GB would plummet in price quickly. The price hasn't gone up, but it hasn't gone down significantly, either.

Given the reception of that card, I don't see how that would have been the case frankly.

Newegg (and probably other online retailers) does this frequently with products perceived to be undervalued. For example the CM Hyper 212 started out at $29.99, but when all the reviews came out saying it was an awesome cooler for an insane price, they bumped it up to the current price $49.99.

Just retail strategy. More demand means they can raise the price and sell the same number.

I never understood this one cause Newegg was the only place that had these for $50. I got tired of waiting for them to drop their price so I just drove down to Microcenter and picked one up for $30.

I never understood this one cause Newegg was the only place that had these for $50. I got tired of waiting for them to drop their price so I just drove down to Microcenter and picked one up for $30.

Yeah for a price-competitive online retailer Newegg has some funkily priced products sometimes. Although it's probably part of their overall strategy. Think about how many people only buy from newegg regardless of price.

Fell in love with Amazon, same prices, but no sales tax or shipping fees and I always have Microcenter to back me up.

The prices on 768MB cards have dropped about $30. The price of 1GB cards is unchanged for the most part with some dropping $10 or so. I got one last week for $229 and I didn't even shop for the cheapest. The top of the line 1GB are kind of steep, but most people don't go for those (Zotac AMP!, ECS Black, EVGA FTW, etc...).

the 768mb models did not sell all that well. most enthusiasts know that 768mb is not enough for some games plus the reduced memory bandwidth and rops. and non enthusiasts will just pick a card with more ram in general even if they don't need it.

The prices on 768MB cards have dropped about $30. The price of 1GB cards is unchanged for the most part with some dropping $10 or so. I got one last week for $229 and I didn't even shop for the cheapest. The top of the line 1GB are kind of steep, but most people don't go for those (Zotac AMP!, ECS Black, EVGA FTW, etc...).
After all the reviews stating how overclockable this card was, it just doesn't make sense to pay all that extra for the top of the line ones. I picked one with slightly better than stock clocks and overclocked it to top of the line speeds. I just snagged an evga card for 230 on amazon shortly after release and never looked back. Then I picked up another for sli :D

Back