GTX 295 "Finished" (Dual GPU Gtx 260 Core 216)

Bleedblue12345

[H]ard|Gawd
http://en.expreview.com/2008/12/03/dual-gpu-gtx260-gx2-officially-branded-as-geforce-gtx295.html

It’s an accomplished fact that GT200 graphics core is updated to be 55nm. We exposed the image of GT200 yesterday, though many people are doubtful about its truth. Anyway, everything will be clear sooner or later, and we believe our readers will have their own correct judgments.

Dual-GPU designed GeForce GTX260 GX2 graphic card will be officially named as GeForce GTX295. Apparently, GeForce GTX295 is coming to regain its dominance of performance which has been grabbed by AMD Radeon HD4870X2. It will utilize two GT200 of 55nm with 216 stream processors, and probably carry on dual PCB design. As of now, the frequency and memory are not known yet.

Our source indicates that the design of GeForce GTX295 graphic cards has been finished, and its trial-production and test process will follow later. With the big day coming closer, it’s time for GTX295 card to show itself.

Don't know the reliability of the source, but looks interesting.... (they also have a picture of the new core here: http://en.expreview.com/2008/12/02/the-worlds-first-image-of-55nm-gt200-exposed.html)

Well after the 7950GX2 and 9800GX2, we'll definitely be around a "step-up" periods time for a new flagship.

well they had to do something sooner or later lol...... even if it does beat the 4870x2, i doubt it will be by much. good thing is hopefully it will drive the 4870x2 price down :D

If it's anything like the 9800gx2 was with slightly lower clocks than its single GPU counter-part, it should perform very similarly to the 4870x2.

Yawn.

Still dual PCB design huh.
We all know how their previous GX2 cards were recieved...released at $600 and have its few months of glory and will be obsolete by the time next gen cards arrive.

huge yawn

I thought they were going to add two "280 GTX"'s into one card, probably won't happen because of the power and heat issue, I suppose comparing a 260 GTX to a 4870 is more reasonable.

I suppose both chips have a 448 bit memory bus or unless if NVIDIA goes to GDDR5 and downgrade the memory bus back to 256 bit or whatever I don't see NVIDIA using GDDR3 and 256 bit will help them win against the 4870x2.

Looks like they are opening up giving out the 55nm GTX260 cores to the board partners who would like to use their own third party PCB design. This should result in some unique cards with unique cooling solutions, and hopefully unique prices as well.

i think more people have owned 9800gx2's than 7950gx2's, so they're definitely making better gx2 cards... even now, a 9800gx2 is comparable to a gtx260. this article does a good job of comparing the two cards.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3334&p=1

in most cases the 9800gx2 is superior to the 260 and is comparable to the 280.

can't trust canned benchmarks. 9800GX2 is not better at game play then a GTX260. The only thing that card is good for is benchmarks.

I thought they were going to add two "280 GTX"'s into one card, probably won't happen because of the power and heat issue, I suppose comparing a 260 GTX to a 4870 is more reasonable.

I suppose both chips have a 448 bit memory bus or unless if NVIDIA goes to GDDR5 and downgrade the memory bus back to 256 bit or whatever I don't see NVIDIA using GDDR3 and 256 bit will help them win against the 4870x2.

You got 14.5" inches in your case for your GTX280x2? ;) Should be interesting to see how this will drop the prices of current cards though.

lets hope for a card price drop. i need me a new card, new system really

i'm still with my 8800GT G92 and im running it with my 30" monitor.. i need a new video card :D price drop? YES PLEASE!

Until graphics cards company's actual show some benefit from running these integrated solutions, I'm not going to bite. Slapping two GTX260's into one PCIe slot seems to only give less room taken up, but also makes it more difficult to cool and carries lower clocks and (at least initially) higher cost. ATI's bridge chip (which was supposed to work on the 4870X2) seemed like something that both companies should be shooting before, but so far nothing has come to market.

It will be obsolete after just few months so I dont care - I will wait for 40nm GPUs from NV and ATI.

You guys sure are making ALOT of assumptions before the card is even released. We got some future tellers in [H] perhaps? :rolleyes:

well they had to do something sooner or later lol...... even if it does beat the 4870x2, i doubt it will be by much. good thing is hopefully it will drive the 4870x2 price down :D

That's the main thing. Competition at every price point and performance level = better deals.

You guys sure are making ALOT of assumptions before the card is even released. We got some future tellers in [H] perhaps? :rolleyes:

I have one prediction at least. it will be even more of a hair drier then the 4870X2

after the experience with 9800 GX2, I can imagine how this card will end up..

with the name... "BENCHMARK CARD" .....

I can easily see a 300w power draw on one of these bad boys... I guess single PCB wasn't possible with 2 150w chips? the 4870X2 isn't far off from that 300w figure, and it seems to manage...

Either way, dual PCB = deal breaker for me, the water blocks are too expensive.

no. they're essentially the same. What they give is SLI/xFire to people with boards that don't support it, and keep an extra PCIe slot open for people with other cards that need them.

no. they're essentially the same. What they give is SLI/xFire to people with boards that don't support it, and keep an extra PCIe slot open for people with other cards that need them.

they are not really the same with nVidia brand...

like 9800GX2 is a down clock version of 2x8800 GTS 512:p

Back