GTX 285 SLI upgrade?

mooman689

n00b
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
33
I'll keep this short and sweet...I just upgraded my PC (from an x4 940 hopefully I'll see a good improvement when I get everything put together) and am wondering what the best upgrade path from SLI 285s would be, or if I should even just wait ...

I am running 1080p, and have been looking at the 6950 with the bios flash, and also looking at the 570, I just don't know if one of those cards would be an upgrade from what I have other than moving up to DX11.
 
neither card would really be an upgrade as for as actual performance. I would probably get the gtx570 though if you have been happy with Nvidia. bang for buck certainly belongs to the 6950 if you don't mind going AMD though. either of those will perform more consistently than your gtx285 sli setup.
 
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/317?vs=313

gtx 285 is 10-20% slower on avg. than a gtx 460. gtx 460 sli is about equal to a gtx 580.

so gtx 285 sli should be on par with a gtx 570, notwithstanding dx11 support.

i say tough it out with your current video cards if you can until the next gen 28nm cards come out (amd 7xxx/nvidia 6xx) that should provide a big leap from current cards unless there are games you are currently playing that don't run at acceptable frames to you and/or you really "need" dx11 now; though i think a pair of gtx 285s should handle 1080p very well for the most part in the majority of games.
 
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/317?vs=313

gtx 285 is 10-20% slower on avg. than a gtx 460. gtx 460 sli is about equal to a gtx 580.

so gtx 285 sli should be on par with a gtx 570, notwithstanding dx11 support.

i say tough it out with your current video cards if you can until the next gen 28nm cards come out (amd 7xxx/nvidia 6xx) that should provide a big leap from current cards unless there are games you are currently playing that don't run at acceptable frames to you and/or you really "need" dx11 now; though i think a pair of gtx 285s should handle 1080p very well for the most part in the majority of games.

I'm in the exact situation as OP with rig in sig. I've been tempted to move to a GTX 580 as my experience with SLI hasn't been that great, at least with a dual-monitor setup (a lot of crashing in some games with a 2nd monitor enabled). But from the performance numbers I've seen from it, it wouldn't be a significant improvement. So this is exactly what I'm doing (waiting for next gen). I'm gaming at 1920x1200.
 
I guess a benefit of going high end SLI setup is that they sure do last a long time. :)
 
I'm in the exact situation as OP with rig in sig. I've been tempted to move to a GTX 580 as my experience with SLI hasn't been that great, at least with a dual-monitor setup (a lot of crashing in some games with a 2nd monitor enabled). But from the performance numbers I've seen from it, it wouldn't be a significant improvement. So this is exactly what I'm doing (waiting for next gen). I'm gaming at 1920x1200.

yeah, it is usually best if one can go with a single high end card vs two mid range cards if they perform about the same and are similarly priced to avoid multi-gpu hassles and/or performance issues.

though if you (and mooman too) got good prices selling both of your 285s, you could probably use that money to sidegrade to a single gtx 570 for probably little to no additional cost if you wanted to.
 
Last edited:
You would have to at least get a pre overclocked GTX 480 or GTX 580.

I had GTX 470 and overclocked it to 860/1000, basically matching GTX 480 performance. Compared to my 285 SLI the 470 was noticeably slower in Crysis and other DX9, DX 10 games.
 
I have two GTX 285s in SLI. I rarely notice microstuttering or slow down in most games.

Downside is heat and tons of noise.

I don't see a viable upgrade yet. Unless I want to drop 5-700 bucks.
 
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1595235

GTX 560 Ti SLi for $400 is a great bang/buck deal (gotta see if rebate can be used for more than one though)

GTX 570 for $279.99 isn't a bad deal either

Finally GTX 580 for $439.99 may actually be a good card to get as I'd imagine overclocked it should perform on par with GTX 285 SLi @ 1920x1200
 
Back
Top