gtx 285 @ 1680x1050, is this overkill?

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
I'm itching to upgrade ~something~... you know, that bug that gets you that says "you haven't touched your system in a year, DO IT!"... and I'd like to play crysis turned up a bit. So the question is this: I'm currently on a 4850, and other than crysis, it runs everything pretty well - I only have to nudge settings down on fallout 3 and a couple of other things. But, I still kinda want to upgrade. Bonuses came through, raises came through, and I'm in a good mood...

so, the question is this: I like the looks of the GTX 285 as a single card / single GPU solution, but on my monitor, with a max res of 1680x1050, is it going to be massive overkill?

What are the rest of your specs?

There's no such thing as overkill, since games will eventually come out that bring the card to its knees at 1680x1050.

I'm with antimatter... it's hard to go overkill with something like a video card especially since more graphically intense games are always around the corner. I'm personally going with a GTX260, but that's mainly because I don't have the cash for a GTX285 and I found one for like $200.

I went two gtx 280's on that resolution. My two gtx 280's are an overkill for most games but facry2 and crysis it was necessary to have alot of graphics power. Plus i dont plan on upgrading for a while so in a few years I want my PC to still be playing games well. So I would say, if you want a new toy to play with and you have a game that might push it there is no reason not to go to the 285. Especially if you are thinking of going higher res later so you could pick up a second 285.

sorry, specs are:
E8400 @ stock
4gb g.skill ram with ok timings, also at stock. Trying to find a better cooler to start overclocking.
Seasonic 600w psu.

You guys do have a point... it'll last longer this way... And it'll let me upgrade my secondary system with the 4850 I have now ;)

With your CPU its not overkill, especially with overclocking plans. Crank up the eye candy and enjoy.

Yeah its not overkill, you can run a lot of AA and AF. It might also last you longer this way.

I asked the same question when I was debating buying a 280 for my 22 incher, and got basically the same response. There's really no such thing as overkill anymore, and whoever said there's anything wrong with being able to max games to the fullest? It's a lot of fun. I don't regret buying my 280/stepping up to 285 one bit.

I have 2 x 285 with the 22" samsung (1680 x 1050) x 120hz. The two cards allow me to get close to or at 120hz in most games and it makes a huge difference in how the game feels.

I use SLI 280s @ this res and I can certainly tell the difference if I have SLI enabled or not. And that includes games like L4D that aren't even that high end.

I know that itch well, but with the system you have right now.... I would wait a couple months. Even if you do end up getting a gtx 285, the prices should drop with new chips introduced. By the way, not overclocking an e8400 is a crime in 18 states right now. :eek: ( i.e. State of Uberness, State of Pwnage, District of Killumbia) Get yourself a good heatsink and crank that up. Its probably getting depressed. Even an AC7 Pro should get you past 3.6 without major setting tweaks. Make sure you have good case airflow though first :D

I feel that my new 260/216 is balanced well with my Q6700. Seems to me that when I need more video card I'll need more CPU anyway, so I may as well buy whatever is the latest and greatest video card when I upgrade the CPU, not now.

I know that itch well, but with the system you have right now.... I would wait a couple months. Even if you do end up getting a gtx 285, the prices should drop with new chips introduced. By the way, not overclocking an e8400 is a crime in 18 states right now. :eek: ( i.e. State of Uberness, State of Pwnage, District of Killumbia) Get yourself a good heatsink and crank that up. Its probably getting depressed. Even an AC7 Pro should get you past 3.6 without major setting tweaks. Make sure you have good case airflow though first :D

I had one of the AC coolers on my old BE5000+... Absolutely hated that thing - cooled like crap, was a pain to get on and off... ~shudder~ Still trying to find a decent one to throw on it - I'm still on the stock cooler for this one. Just really haven't needed the speed.

LOL

Another option would be buying a monster screen so later when you buy a new video card you will have a good reason :D

I have 2 x 285 with the 22" samsung (1680 x 1050) x 120hz. The two cards allow me to get close to or at 120hz in most games and it makes a huge difference in how the game feels.
what cpu are you using with that setup?

I am using a Core I7 extreme (clocked to 3.6 ghz). I have 12 gigs ram (yes really) and 2 x 80 gig Intel Flash Drives. The flash drives are cool enough but I would have been served better getting the raptors.

I think I have enough horsepower to drive the 2 x GTX 285. I also have a 27.5 inch ViewSonic (1920 x 1200) that I haven't turned on since I got the samsung.

I am using a Core I7 extreme (clocked to 3.6 ghz). I have 12 gigs ram (yes really) and 2 x 80 gig Intel Flash Drives. The flash drives are cool enough but I would have been served better getting the raptors.

I think I have enough horsepower to drive the 2 x GTX 285. I also have a 27.5 inch ViewSonic (1920 x 1200) that I haven't turned on since I got the samsung.
well I guess that reply was for me even though you didnt quote me. yes you certainly have horspower to push those card but i would certainly use the bigger monitor as nothing at 1680 really needs sli gtx285.

how do you set it more than 75hz?rivatuner?

Back