• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GTX 280 or system error?

btgorman

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2009
Messages
237
Hey guys. I bought a GTX 280 second hand and I've been getting this error. I've even tried a complete OS reinstallation. It fixed most of it, but I still got it in Batman Arkham Asylum.

Then I tried it with new computer parts (cpu, mobo, & ram), but it STILL didn't fix the problem. Right now I'm just running checkdisk as a last resort, but I think I've isolated it to the GTX 280.

One time, I could hear the sound still coming through the background.
15n7ptv.jpg
 
Probably the death of a video card. I'm guessing mine was OC'd like yours, then sold to me.
 
what im worried about is when its clocked back to stock settings it runs stable 90% of the time and when i hand it to the store i have to clock it to stock or else waranty void if they see its OCed afaik. So im worried they will say its fine lol. Lets pray it crashes when they test.

But strange issue indeed, this isnt the first time ive burned a card so I know what happens when they break but ive never seen this symptom, im still not fully convinced its purely due to OCing. My card never reached over 90 and that was with furmark, in games it was always dancing around 70-75c so strange really
 
I was the one that sold the card to btgorman and I have already sent PM's to ask what he would like to do. To be clear the card was used in a SLI system with another BFG GTX280 OC card. The cards come OC'd by BFG and I don't OC any of my hardware. During monitoring of the cards during game play, neither card ever got above 85* C. I also ran temp sensors to each card connected to a fan controller which had a Scythe 120mm fan set to blow at 100% over the cards any time they went above idle temp. My only reason for selling the cards was due to the purchase of a 5870 card after getting frustrated with the Nvidia drivers and SLI in general.

As I stated in my PM's, I'm not here to rip anyone off so if you're not happy, respond to my PM and let me know what you'd like to do.
 
im mostly interested if it in fact is the GTX280, the main cause and if there is a fix other than RMA..
 
Just a suggestion, but have you guys tried using Rivatuner to force the cards to run the fan at full speed? If I recall, there were some folks that had issues where the GPU would overheat because the card fan failed to go to 100% and stayed at 40% instead.
 
trust me man its not heat issue, i always have fan at proper speed depending on temp on card, i use rivatuner for that and when crash happens gpu is never above 60. I have very good cooling so it cant be that.
 
Well the GTX 280 never goes above 85 C. I have two 120mm intake fans for the GPU.

EDIT: Also one (install) time, where it couldn't get passed a certain part in batman arkham asylum.
 
I had a GTX 280 crap out sort of like that. Not saying that's it, but my screen looked similar.
 
Sorry coldone2. . out of ideas. I've already offered btgorman a refund if that's what he wants to do. I'll try to RMA the card with BFG and see what they say. Worse case I use it as a Physics card.
 
I guess I'll take that refund cnk... i just ran chkdsk on my 2 hdd's and it still happened.
 
No problem. Just ship the card back and I'll issue the refund.
 
Looks like memory corruption. Ive seen it happen before.

If its a BFG, you can just RMA it. They are pretty good about not hassling you for the RMA, and if youre nice, they will even provide you a shipping label!

Due to the fact that higher end nvidia skus are hard to come by, you might even get an upgrade to a 285 or higher.

I would just do the RMA. Its not as painful as it sounds.
 
Mine just did the same thing two days ago. Just got the RMA from evga. Hope they send back a good card.
 
I had a geforce 7 series ( can't remember which one exactly) that did the same thing. Turns out it was the aftermarket heatsink was mounted on too tight (I assume it broke some solder joints). Bake it and see what happens. It's not like you can make it any worse than it already is.
 
The baking reflows any solder points that might be broken, therefore repairing the card. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Make sure you don't have the heat too high or leave it in there too long though.
 
My 280 died the same way too after 6 months of folding on it 24/7. Mine looked like this:

deadcard.jpg


It worked fine in 2D mode on my desktop, but the second I put any load on it to up the clocks to 3D mode, it showed me that.

Fortunately it was under warranty and I got a new 280 back. If yours isn't under warranty, just yeah, I suggest baking it. It can't hurt since it's already (almost) dead.
 
Back
Top