• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GTX 275 vs 5770?

the.ronin

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
508
I just picked up a BFG GTX 275 OC over the weekend and am loving it coming from an HSI HD 4670. Dragon Age is running at a steady 60 FPS versus the 30 FPS and choking to 10-15 with the 4670.

But now I’m wondering if the Dx11 capabilities of a 5770 lacking in the GTX 275 will come back to haunt me. I’ve read the 275 is slightly more powerful, but I'm not sure that’s worth the Dx sacrifice.

I can still return the GTX 275 but my in stock options are the Diamond 5770 or the Visiontek 5770. I’m pretty sure the 5770 will fit in my CM Scout case even in SLI.

Should I go for an exchange?

(Yes I know better to go with the 58xx or 285 but that’s out of my budget.)
 
BFG GTX 275 OC huh? Did you get that card at Best Buy? I heard that they were clearing them out for like $176 a while back, which is a great deal because you probably ended up paying under 200 bucks for it. If you did, I'd keep it.
 
Your 275 is significantly more powerful than a 5770. And neither Diamond nor Visiontek are great companies. I would stick with the 275, and save up money until you find a DX11 game that you can't live without, then sell the 275 and go for a Fermi/58xx card. Even now that 275 should be worth quite a bit, I'm sure a lot of folders out there would want one.
 
I didn’t think the power difference was that material. I am extremely happy with how games play now just with little details showing that weren’t there under the 4670. I’d hate to regress on that.

I got it at Micro Center where they were clearing all video cards out at 20% off plus a 5% coupon so like $150 before lame CA tax.
 
I didn’t think the power difference was that material. I am extremely happy with how games play now just with little details showing that weren’t there under the 4670. I’d hate to regress on that.

I got it at Micro Center where they were clearing all video cards out at 20% off plus a 5% coupon so like $150 before lame CA tax.

Tha is a good deal for the 275. Keep it, it is significantly faster than the 5770 but lacks DX11 and eyefinity.

For that price, keep the 275 if you can afford a bit more, get the 5850
 
Your 275 is significantly more powerful than a 5770. And neither Diamond nor Visiontek are great companies. I would stick with the 275, and save up money until you find a DX11 game that you can't live without, then sell the 275 and go for a Fermi/58xx card. Even now that 275 should be worth quite a bit, I'm sure a lot of folders out there would want one.

This guy's right. The GTX 275 really is head and shoulders above the 5770.

Direct X 11 wont become a requirement for at least 3 years. Such is the typical turn around time on Direct X revisions, (and a fact absolutely everyone seems to miss: ladies and gents, with APIs, just because a new ones out doesnt mean its used --in fact almost by definition a new API isn't used, a games production cycle is 3 years).
 
Thanks again for all the advice.

Not to veer off topic here but what I did plan to do was SLI the 275 in a couple of months (still need to upgrade the mobo for that).

I only have a 22” 1680 x 1050 monitor but I would still be able to get a lot out of SLI’ing 275’s, right?
 
you wont be able to SLI them.....your motherboard(listed in your sig) is an AMD 785G chipset, which is for ATI cards

also +1 for those who said keep the 275 unless you cannot live without a game
 
Yeah I know my mobo doesn’t support SLI – or Crossfire for that matter. As I mentioned, I was planning on upgrading my mobo beforehand. Although I’m pretty sure there are AMD motherboards (Asus) that can SLI, right?
 
Even if you could SLI, on a 1680x1080 monitor it's hardly worth it. A single 275 should be able to handle most games very nicely at that res.
 
Don't worry about directx11 Counter-strike: Source is Directx9.

Also Conditioner is better.
 
Go with the 5770. Not only is it cheaper but you also get the advantage of newer tech.
 
Instead of spending more on a new mobo and a new GPU, it is better to sell the card before fermi comes out and get a HD 5850 or HD 5870 instead.
 
Agree with others here. Keep the 275, it is a bit faster and should run everything you want at your current screen resolution. Upgrade to a higher end card if you feel it is needed once more directx 11 titles show up and absolutely show some sort of visual and performance advantage over dx10.
 
Well I think the return policy at Micro Center is like 30 days so if they restock 5850s, I might go for an exchange depending on what the price is.

After some of the advice here and a little more digging, I think the BFG GTX 275 was a pretty decent value. I do wish the card was a bit sleeker looking though haha.
 
Go with the 5770. Not only is it cheaper but you also get the advantage of newer tech.

thats just rubbish advice, DX11 wont be much use for at least a year or two, and he will enjoy the more frames of the 275. When DX11 is finally significant the 5770 prob wont have the grunt to run DX11 in any glory.
 
Stick with GTX 275. HD 5770 is not even better then the older HD 4870 and GTX 275 is the near equivalent of GTX 280/HD 4890 both of which are good 13-15% faster then HD 4870.

To summarize it all.

DX 11 is not worth the hassle of returning 275 and buying 5770.
 
First the GTX 275 is a ton faster than a 5770 , period so it wouldn't be an upgrade at all. Secondly AVOID Diamond or Visiontek .. these are retail only companys provide horrible customer service and short warranties so get something like XFX if anything otherwise avoid those brands.
 
apparently, the msi hawk 5770 overclocks like mad...the 275's still “faster”...but 5770's cheaper & it's gonna be easy to add a 2nd (or even 3rd)...but 275 for that price??...come on:)...
 
Back
Top