GTX 275 Throttling Issue

krameriffic

2[H]4U
So I picked up a BFG GTX 275 today, installed drivers and everything went swimmingly. Now, I tried to use Rivatuner for my overclocking purposes, but apparently it doesn't currently detect the 186.18 drivers, so it doesn't allow me to overclock with it (I'm sure there's a registry setting or the like I could change to fix that). I wound up downloading the EVGA Precision tuner and using that. It seems to function fine for the card even though it's a BFG.

Now, my issue arises with the 2D clock throttling. I have the card at 720 core, 1559 shader and 1227 memory and it's perfectly stable, but the clocks don't drop down to their 2D levels when I'm not gaming. I'm wondering if there is any way to remedy this issue?

Also, I've found that right after I boot up it will sit at the throttled clocks and it runs much cooler. As soon as I load it down, play a game whatever, it picks up to the 3D clocks and doesn't drop them back.

Well I figured out that it occurred only when a game shuts down improperly, which leads to an interesting point. It was rock solid stable at those clocks in Furmark and the OCCT GPU test, but it was resulting in crashes in even simple games like TF2. If the 3D program shut down properly, the clocks throttled accordingly. If not, they stuck at the 3D clocks. It could be related to the fact that I'm on the Windows 7 RC I suppose.

Now, for the life of me I can't figure out why the card would be stable in torture tests but not in actual games which tax it less in every conceivable way.

Back