GTX-260 issues, Upgrade Questions

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Have there been any known issues with the GTX-260 graphics card? I do have the EVGA GTX-260 216c version of the card. Are there known temperature issues with it? The reason I ask is while playing Starcraft 2 on decent settings, I've noticed that the fan keeps revving up due to temperature (as I expected), and I'm also noticing some black streaks come across the screen now and again which I also associated with temperature. I know when I bought it the 216c was the version to get.

Should I upgrade? I'm looking around at the GTX-460 but I'm not sure, you guys are the experts! Please let me know what you think. I'm not going to be running SLI (as my motherboard won't do it, and I'm only running a 22" @ 1680x1050 res). I don't care if it's ATI or nVidia, but I do like how nVidia is cheaper which is nice.

Please let me know!

You may be able to just keep the card you have.

I'd try the following: install MSI Afterburner, set it up to run your GPU fan at a constant duty cycle, say 65% (that's where I have mine and you can't hear them) or use the "user-defined" fan program to ramp up the card's fans quicker and higher than nvidia's bios program.

If you still see artifacting down-clock the card a fraction......like put it just to something non-SSC, or even default for the 260 and see what happens.

If you bought this card new and registered it with evga you can always RMA it and then you will not need the worry.

If you are thinking new, I'd look at the GTX 460 or the ATI 5850......but in looking at the reviews, the 460 looks like a very stout card......nearly a match for the ATI 5870!!!:eek:

I'll check them out there magoo. One question:

If I do choose the upgrade method, what brand of 460 should I shoot for?

Also, I think I am running stock speeds for my GPU... I had it previously overclocked however something reset it back to default back in the day and I was lazy and didn't want to figure out what my settings were again!

I'll check them out there magoo. One question:

If I do choose the upgrade method, what brand of 460 should I shoot for?

I would get EVGA. They have the most dependable customer service of anyone left standing.
Galaxy seems to be making a run at them, but I've yet to hear how their support is.

get ahold of eVGA before we get a huge thread about possible replacement cards. They are excellent at looking after your needs. I can tell you from first hand experience. The 260 should still be very capable for most titles out there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...07323 600062521 600007779&IsNodeId=1&name=1GB

There's the newegg search narrowed down to EVGA 1g GTX-460. Went 1g as I'm sure it's going to be better than the 768mb. Which one would I get? I'm sure it's going to be cooler related, so I wonder if you guys are going to choose the ones with the bigger fans?

I don't thing EVGA would help out with my issue. I've had the card for quite awhile now and I don't think my stupid butt registered it...

Doesn't hurt to try Evga. But before you do that, have you checked that card to see if it has dust build up? Could be causing your card to over heat.

I could definitely do that... But why would Starcraft 2 (regardless of the settings) be the only game I have that I know of right now that really does that?

Try completely wiping the driver. I just recently stuck an Evga GTX260 (196 version) in a spare rig so my nephew can play Starcraft 2.

I was getting green pulsing lines and odd artifacts during game play, I saw that the card never got above 60c.

So I removed the driver, rebooted and ran drive sweeper, rebooted again and reinstalled the latest drivers. So far that has fixed the problems. The GTX260 will run Starcraft2 fine with medium/high settings. My little system is CPU bound anyway.

Doesn't hurt to try Evga. But before you do that, have you checked that card to see if it has dust build up? Could be causing your card to over heat.

Done, eliminated the dust.

Try completely wiping the driver. I just recently stuck an Evga GTX260 (196 version) in a spare rig so my nephew can play Starcraft 2.

I was getting green pulsing lines and odd artifacts during game play, I saw that the card never got above 60c.

So I removed the driver, rebooted and ran drive sweeper, rebooted again and reinstalled the latest drivers. So far that has fixed the problems. The GTX260 will run Starcraft2 fine with medium/high settings. My little system is CPU bound anyway.

Done, as this was worth the shot.

there is a knowin bug with sc2 that overheats video cards.
http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft2/news/12626-overheating-bug-confirmed-how-to-fix-it

That link explains how to stop it untill blizz releases a patch fixing it

Rag, I had this done almost immediately after buying the game; one of my clan mates posted a link. I don't know if the values are case sensitive, I did have a capital "G" in Glue, which I then made lower case and saved... so this has been modified as well.

Will try and post back.

Playing single player was a lot better this time around with all of the recommendations. Maybe I don't quite need an upgrade... yet. :) Thanks for the help guys.

Back