GTX 1080 NVIDIA presentation leaked

Yup, plus some nice hbm2 tossed into the mix. That's the true Pascal, this is all just midrange fluff ;) If I were in the market for midrange Pascal, the $380 1070 in SLI seems a way better value than $600 1080.

multi-gpu makes me sad

Almost! But no, i dont know why it says I just joined yesterday though, I've been here for over a month i believe. Definitely didnt post 50+ in day lol

edit: Its fucking May lmao

lol

multi-gpu makes me sad

lol

1080 price makes me sad :)

That's why it will be very interesting to see the 1070 vs 1080 performance ratio and how much GDDR5X changes the rules of the game.
1070 has a great price for the performance nvidia claims it has. Basically it should be more than enough to satisfy 1440p needs which tends to become the next mainstream res.

Lol at 599/699 cards being "midrange"

Me too. Even $350+ is not. Well, some people are too "enthusiastic" it seems that it is titan/x80ti or nothing and everything else is mid-range or low-range.

According to Nvidia's slides the 1080 should be 70% faster than a 980, hot damn.
o.png

That's downhill with the wind at your back....

Basically it should be more than enough to satisfy 1440p needs which tends to become the next mainstream res.

People say this every time, 1440p will be just as taxing, relatively, in the game's of tomorrow (vs 1080p) as it is in the game's of today.

Buy a 1070 today and you can play 1440p max settings. In two years time you can play 1080p max settings with similar performance. Games of tomorrow at 1080p will be as taxing as games of today at 1440

That really depends on how the console upgrades (xbone.5 and PS4 Neo) turn out. If they're all Pascal 10 speed, which would be around 390-class, a 1070 will continue to play 1440p titles fantastically until the next console upgrade.

Most games are console ports and the GPU and CPU in current-gen consoles is hilariously weak. It can't even hold 1080p at 30fps in many games.

People say this every time, 1440p will be just as taxing, relatively, in the game's of tomorrow (vs 1080p) as it is in the game's of today.

Buy a 1070 today and you can play 1440p max settings. In two years time you can play 1080p max settings with similar performance. Games of tomorrow at 1080p will be as taxing as games of today at 1440

I can't agree. 2 years is a time for an upgrade anyway and the other thing is if that was completely true, we would've never got to resolutions we have today.

When the 980 was announced everyone said 4k was finally viable.

Short while later 980ti/TX were announced and everyone said 4k was finally viable

Now 1080 was announced and everyone is saying 4k is finally viable

So improving it will somehow make 1440p more attainable, why?
You're saying games will take more horsepower to run over time. But most games are console ports, so as long as consoles don't get faster, most of the time that really doesn't happen.

Based on what NV told us, I wouldn't expect the 1080 to be capable of handling 4k at 60fps and max settings in modern games. Need to wait on the 1080ti for that.

But if you can accept turning down the settings a bit and have a g-sync monitor so you can deal with lower framerates, the 1080 should be a very capable 4k gaming card.

You're saying games will take more horsepower to run over time. But most games are console ports, so as long as consoles don't get faster, most of the time that really doesn't happen.

That's not entirely true, pc ports often have higher in settings. Anyway, the consoles getting more powerful is likely to make 1440p less viable (on current hw) if anything.

Like let's say an avg PS4 game does 10 ops per pixel today.

In two years on ps4k the average will be 40 ops per pixel.

4k PS4 game is like a 1080p ps4k game

This is what I mean

That's not entirely true, pc ports often have higher in settings. Anyway, the consoles getting more powerful is likely to make 1440p less viable (on current hw) if anything.

Like let's say an avg PS4 game does 10 ops per pixel today.

In two years on ps4k the average will be 40 ops per pixel.

4k PS4 game is like a 1080p ps4k game

This is what I mean

PS4.5 will only be able to display 4K. It won't be able to play most games at that resolution. It's rumored to have double the GPU performance of the current PS4 which still only puts it probably to something like GTX 960-970 territory in 1080p at best. Since Sony requires that games are released for both the PS4 and the PS4.5 there probably won't be much of a difference in visuals.

PC games scaled with hardware performance for decades, and I don't see why consoles couldn't do the same. Instead of dozens of performance variables, they have to deal with two.

Anyway, if the PS4 neo and XB1.5 come with Polaris10 for 390/970-ish performance, as is very likely, I would expect this to push up the "state of the art" a bit in those PC ports.

When the 980 was announced everyone said 4k was finally viable.

Short while later 980ti/TX were announced and everyone said 4k was finally viable

Now 1080 was announced and everyone is saying 4k is finally viable

I played through Borderlands 2 at 4K DSR on a 780 Ti with great performance.

If you want to play the latest and greatest titles be prepared to lay out some serious cash and even then there's no guarantee.

For me the sweet spot is games that are 3-4 years old picked up in a steam sale.

i really cant wait to see benchmarks for 1080/1070 to see which one i want.
Is the wait making you nauseous?

I'm pretty sure ps4k will run 4k and not just upscale to 4k.

Afaik the new PS4 will allow you to choose between higherIQ/higher fps and 4k 30fps

Something like that. It'll eventually get to a point where the ps4k+, or whatever, is needed to to improve the graphics further. Games released for ps4k+ will only run on ps4k and ps4k+, and so and so on forth

For the PS4 Neo to run 4k at 30fps, it would need something faster than the Polaris10 we've seen leaked/rumored, at roughly R9 390 performance levels. Either that or they mandate resolution and compromise image detail, which would be very foolish.

My best guess is it will come with a Polaris 10 and get fan-frickin-tastic performance at 1080p, mostly pushing 60fps, at high detail. That would provide the best experience for users. Of course it will also support 4k with HDMI 2.0, but most games will be upscaled in this generation.

Alternatively they could put a bunch of GPUs in it (say, 2 polaris 10s, or even something wacky like 1 polaris 10 and 3 polaris 11s) and force developers to use explicit multi-adapter in Vulkan. That would theoretically scale, well, indefinitely.

For the PS4 Neo to run 4k at 30fps, it would need something faster than the Polaris10 we've seen leaked/rumored, at roughly R9 390 performance levels. Either that or they mandate resolution and compromise image detail, which would be very foolish.

My best guess is it will come with a Polaris 10 and get fan-frickin-tastic performance at 1080p, mostly pushing 60fps, at high detail. That would provide the best experience for users. Of course it will also support 4k with HDMI 2.0, but most games will be upscaled in this generation.

Alternatively they could put a bunch of GPUs in it (say, 2 polaris 10s, or even something wacky like 1 polaris 10 and 3 polaris 11s) and force developers to use explicit multi-adapter in Vulkan. That would theoretically scale, well, indefinitely.

I clearly remember reading that games will have a 4k 30fps option in alternative to 1080p60

Since it isn't announced yet, from some unverified rumor site no doubt. We're all just speculating here.

Since it isn't announced yet, from some unverified rumor site no doubt. We're all just speculating here.
Well, according to Sony's own documents, there is a focus on delivering 4K gaming content, though upscaling to UHD resolution is likely. Owners of 1080p screens can expect benefits too, explicitly stated as:

Higher frame-rates
More stable frame-rates
Improved graphics fidelity
Additional graphics features

Revealed: Sony's plan for PlayStation 4K - codename Neo

Yes, I read that months back. Still a rumor, but a solid one. Where do they talk about a 4k 30fps target?

Yes, I read that months back. Still a rumor, but a solid one. Where do they talk about a 4k 30fps target?
I have no idea, that was from memory, maybe a subconscious hole-plugging, but 4k30 makes sense unless they really will just upscale

4k30 is a real stretch for polaris 10. I don't see it happening unless they do multi-GPU.

Much like we see a lot of 900p upscaled to 1080p today, I expect to see a bunch of 1440p upscaled to 4k in console upgrades. Or maybe not, since it won't be pixel-perfect-- maybe it'll be 1080p upscaled, but with higher-end antialiasing and whatnot.

4k30 is a real stretch for polaris 10. I don't see it happening unless they do multi-GPU.

Much like we see a lot of 900p upscaled to 1080p today, I expect to see a bunch of 1440p upscaled to 4k in console upgrades. Or maybe not, since it won't be pixel-perfect-- maybe it'll be 1080p upscaled, but with higher-end antialiasing and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure they can optimize for 4k30, perhaps lowering settings to meet the target, but yeah it seems like upscaling will be the preferred option, in that case though why does it sound like you get either 4k OR higher iq/fps

Well sure, if you compromise detail you can get any game to run at any resolution. But what matters isn't the resolution, that's just a number-- what matters is the image quality you present to the user.

You have to remember that consoles have to be built to be as cheap as possible to manufacture to be even a tiny bit profitable. That's why you can't expect them to have anything close to what we have for PC right now. A typical console in total costs less than a good GPU. Even if the PS4K is faster it just won't be so fast that it runs 4K @ 30 fps. 4K is only for videos. It will just be 1080p @ 60 fps upscaled to 4K at best.

You have to remember that consoles have to be built to be as cheap as possible to manufacture to be even a tiny bit profitable. That's why you can't expect them to have anything close to what we have for PC right now. A typical console in total costs less than a good GPU. Even if the PS4K is faster it just won't be so fast that it runs 4K @ 30 fps. 4K is only for videos. It will just be 1080p @ 60 fps upscaled to 4K at best.
Its possible it will play games at native 1440p, but really, thats up to tge developers all Sony said is that 'Neo' modes have to have an identical or higher framerate.

Its possible it will play games at native 1440p, but really, thats up to tge developers all Sony said is that 'Neo' modes have to have an identical or higher framerate.

Again no, as there are no 1440p TVs as far as I know so targeting that resolution would not make much sense. 1080p will also upscale to 4K better since it's half of that resolution.

There are no 900p TVs either, but many current-gen console games render at 900p then upscale to 1080p, with the feeling being that detail trumps resolution or pixel-perfection when you're sitting over 10 feet from the TV.

That said I think you're probably right, they will all target 1080p and turn on as many bells and whistles as possible.

Lol at 599/699 cards being "midrange"

^THIS

I'll pay $650 for a ti level card but certainly not for a lowish high end card like a 980 or 1080. Even $599 is too much for a place holder card like this. These cards should be priced in the mid $500's.

^THIS

I'll pay $650 for a ti level card but certainly not for a lowish high end card like a 980 or 1080. Even $599 is too much for a place holder card like this. These cards should be priced in the mid $500's.
Agreed. $650 should buy you the highest performing flagship card of its generation. Not just the current flagship card that will be inevitably surpassed by later flagship cards. ie- 980<Titan<980Ti

I'm pretty sure ps4k will run 4k and not just upscale to 4k.
Afaik the new PS4 will allow you to choose between higherIQ/higher fps and 4k 30fps
Something like that. It'll eventually get to a point where the ps4k+, or whatever, is needed to to improve the graphics further. Games released for ps4k+ will only run on ps4k and ps4k+, and so and so on forth

Nowhere really nowhere is it being mentioned that the new PS4 will do 4K gaming.

Really disappointed in the performance for 4k. Those of us who use a smart tv for gaming (I use a vizio e series 50 inch from which I sit a comfortable distance away, basically think chair/desk instead of couch) get no benefit from the announced Pascal cards because the performance at 4k is not cost effective, which sucks because I'm hankering for a 4k tv but it's pointless to get one without a cost effective single GPU to drive it at max settings. Maybe it was foolish to hope for Pascal to deliver the goods at 4k but maybe the next generation will by which point even better and cheaper 4k panels will be on the market.

Back