• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GTX 1080 + Linux Mint 17 - any problems?

almalino

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
1,591
Hi,

I have GTX 970 + Linux Mint 17 and it works great. I want to upgrade to GTX 1080. So I have a couple of questions:
  1. Will it work together? Namely GTX 1080 + Linux Mint 17
  2. Do I need to upgrade drivers after I switch the cards?

I have dualboot to Win 10 so I do not game under Linux but I do SW development under it and it is importnat that 1080 works well there.

I would appreciate any opinions/experience in this.
 
Guys, thank you for your information! Seems I will have no problems with it
 
Ok, I finally received and installed GTX 1080 with Linux Mint based on the instructions in the internet.

Short story: It works very well and I am typing this from my Linux Mint 17 machine with GTX 1080

Long story: During installation after purging old NVidia drivers and installing new ones I was not able to get to passphrase to boot linux because my Linux is encrypted. Luckily I was able to get to Grub menu where I could select recovery mode from which I was able to type the pass phrase. Now I need to use recovery mode every time I boot Linux to type the passphrase. It is not a big problem though annoying. I guess there is something wrong with GPU drivers just at very beginning of Linux boot sequence and recovery mode uses some generic driver that allows me to get to the passphrase.
 
Don't know anything about Mint, but... did you rebuild your initrd? Depending on your config kernel modules for the card added into the initrd may fix the issue IF that's what your config has been expecting all along. My config on Arch for instance doesn't load any video modules from initrd and I have no issues thoughout the boot process (on a 970)

edit - btw, if you're interested in doing things differently, my setup is now running Linux against the Intel HD on-board (4k@30 until I spring for a DP->HDMI2 adapter) and running Win10 as a VM with the 970 dedicated to it via IOMMU passthrough. There are some negatives: I haven't managed to get suspend to work so I have to shut the system down completely. If Win10 isn't running the GPU fan runs at default (loud). Running 2 video cables to the same monitor from the same machine is annoying, but full bandwidth HDMI switches are not cheap.

On the plus side I can pop over to Windows for a lunch gaming session or to use software that just isn't available in Linux like SketchUp.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top