GTX 1080 boost clock stuck at low speeds after PC has been on for a while

wes28222

Limp Gawd
Hello. I have an some problem with my system/gpu/mobo i dont know which exactly.

At some point after having my system powered on, it often happens while the system is idle, my GTX 1080 becomes permanently throttled. The graphics clock is halved from a maximum of 1990-2000mhz (factory OC) to 1285mhz . When this occurs, it doesn't matter how much I load my card, be it games or other demanding applications, it does not ever go past the above caps. The only solution I have had up until now was to reboot the system .GPU-Z reports the "perfcap" reason as PWR

And i have found many topics with the same issue on internet, its one of them even with Gtx 970/980/1070/1080:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...970-clock-rate-throttling-and-temporary-fix-/

According to that site somebody said:"It can't be a driver, because for me it happened with all driver 970 and 1080 , and all I did to fix the 970 and 1080 was the bios settings. it's only something with Power/Heat or not working properly bios setting. I can't pinpoint because there are too much to it. but it's not a driver, can't sure why it does work with old drivers for you. but you get nothing if you can't update drivers which is just something you need to do, and 95% of the people doesn't have this issue either, it just can't be the drivers."

So maybe its mobo related or drivers? But on my previous 980 Ti i dont had that issue , even when i lefting pc long time on idle.
How can i be sure its not drivers or mobo?

PC:
6700K No Oc
16gb DDR4
750W
Asus Z170-P

Perhaps its due to a former program's profile still being active somehow? And I think some kind of GPU control program.

Its not because my card is not stable ? Oc is only by factory. I bought card 2 weeks ago.

But i check event viewer and no display driver crash. Not any warnings.

Have only installed CPUZ, GPUZ, FRAPS + 2 games. Dont have installed oc programs utilities like Evga Precision or Afterburner.

I dont think its due to a bad card. But if you got a clean Windows install after your 980TI you should have eliminated any issues in terms of software. Then try and contact the card manufactor. Perhaps something as simple as a new BIOS can fix it.

Something similar happened to me recently when messing with my EVGA 980 SC through Precision X. I just reset my OC profile then reset my computer. Worked out for me.

Back