GTX 1070 Overclocking Guide

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
The gents over at Overclockers Club have put together their take on overclocking your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 video card. While many of us think "we already know how to do it," it is always good to have new information. OC Club goes into the dynamics of NVDIA GPU Boost 3.0, system stability, and memory and GPU core clocking. They have an interesting way of going about it, and it makes a lot of sense as well and may get you through the process faster than the way you are doing it now.
Lastly, for you hardcore overclockers, if you periodically run a benchmark and write down the results, you may find the score going down after a certain point. This is a common problem. As the card exceeds its maximum potential, it can be a trickster. A higher overclock does not always translate to a better experience.

You can compare their methods with ours as Brent laid out in the last ASUS Strix GTX 1060 review.

Thanks for posting this. OC'ing the (similar) 1080 has been very hit and miss for me so new strategies are always appreciated.

Cool, same card as what I have. I just use Gigabytes VGA-Extreme Engine vice MSI After Burner and it allows voltage changes. My OC was about the same for both 1070's, have not maxed out the memory yet (one is Samsung and the other is Micron).

nice to see a well put together guide.

MSI 1070 Gaming X here. (of note, this card has Samsung RAM)

Question, i'm going the RAM overclocking, i'm currently running Unigen Heaven with +525 and am not seeing any artifacting or crashes. How long should i run the unigen for to wait for artifacts? or do i just try it for 20 seconds and if no crashes or artifacts bump it another 25mhz?

/feeling kinda newbish in my old age, lol

I noticed this on my 1070 too, sometimes it clocks past the base OC and sometimes lower. They shouldn't be saying the OC is xxx if it isn't.

Back