GTS 450

Infineon

n00b
So I just got an Asus GTS450 DirectCU as a replacement for my dying GTX260. Was this a good choice for the price? I really, really don't like ATI and all I had to spend was $150 before rebate.

What sort of clocks should I be able to get (OVing perfectly acceptable)?

Should have gone with the GTX460 - 768MB for the price. Only a little bit more before rebate, same or less after.

Its a fine card, but slower than your dying GTX260.

And its more expensive and slower than AMD's HD5770.

Really, the GTS450 is slower than your GTX260. If you HAVE to stay with Nvidia, I would have gone for a GTX 460 768mb like texuspete00 said- you can get one for not much more. Read the [H] review if you want to know what they got OCing it.

I looked at GTX460s, but I couldn't find one, except for EVGA's B-Stock one w/ a 90 day warranty, for under $150 shipped before rebate. I really would have liked to get a GTX460 768MB (after rebate, there was a Zotac one for $145), but I couldn't go over $150 BR. Parental restrictions :(

And I wanted an nVidia card for Folding and better Linux support

Yes, the others are correct. The GTS 450 is a downgrade from your dying GTX 260. It would, however, have been a good replacement for an 8800 GT or 9800 GT.

How much slower is it than a GTX260? And when OCed is it roughly the same? I have a 192SP GTX260 that, even OCed, is about on par with a standard GTX260, it came from Dell with lower-than-stock clocks :(

The 450 is about equal to a GTS 250/4850/5750. A GTX 260 is about equal to a 4870/5770. OCed the 450 is still gonna be slower than a 5770.

How much slower is it than a GTX260? And when OCed is it roughly the same? I have a 192SP GTX260 that, even OCed, is about on par with a standard GTX260, it came from Dell with lower-than-stock clocks :(

It's a downgrade since although the GTS 450 has 192 CUDA cores, its memory bandwidth is actually lower than the memory on a GTX 260. The GTS 450 has only a 128-bit bus to its GDDR5 memory while the GTX 260 has a 448-bit bus to its GDDR3 memory. And since GDDR5 memory has roughly a 50 percent higher throughput than GDDR3 memory of the same bus width and clock speed, the use of GDDR5 memory simply cannot make up for the deficit in memory bus width.

Well it's a shame that it's going to be that much slower, most of the reviews I found placed the TOP version (I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get TOP clocks) right around the HD5770, which is right around my GTX260. I guess I'll see when it gets here, and I guess I could always get a 2nd around Christmas if needed.

GTS450 SLI should be plenty for 1080P for most games, right?

Well it's a shame that it's going to be that much slower, most of the reviews I found placed the TOP version (I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get TOP clocks) right around the HD5770, which is right around my GTX260. I guess I'll see when it gets here, and I guess I could always get a 2nd around Christmas if needed.

However you may try to justify it nothing will change the fact that you made a bad purchase. Enjoy it.

OP, you sure do have an odd setup. you have a highly overclocked i7 and SSD yet you only have 2gb of system ram and just bought a card that performs only a little bit better than a GTS250. :confused:

yes, but why sink money there? if this gets you by then just wait and go with a better card.

However you may try to justify it nothing will change the fact that you made a bad purchase. Enjoy it.
:(
OP, you sure do have an odd setup. you have a highly overclocked i7 and SSD yet you only have 2gb of system ram and just bought a card that performs only a little bit better than a GTS250. :confused:
Well, it does what I need. I haven't ever run into issues with only a limited amount of RAM (with what I normally do, memory usage doesn't go much above 1GB). And I have the i7 OCed because I run WCG, and the SSD because after reading how fast they were, I decided that it would be a good upgrade for the PhII that I had at the time.

I was under the impression that the GTS450 was more than just a bit faster than a GTS250 (from reading reviews over at HWC, TPU, Anand, and others).

And it looked like a decent enough card for my uses.
after looking around it seems a highly overclocked gts450 will beat a stock 192sp gtx260 overall. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTS_450_TOP_DirectCU/28.html

Excellent :)

That's what I wanted to hear :)
Yup GTS 450 TOP beats a stock 260 by about 10%. So it's not thaaat bad. It's just not that good either for the money spent.

Well 10% is fine, considering my GTX 260 does everything that I want to do

holy cow take it easy. he said he wants nvidia for cuda and linux and had a fixed budget that doesnt fit anything else. if thats all he could get then it doesn't matter how good it is.

not to mention ITS NOT THAT BAD. in fact tweaktown finds the total performance per dollar the same as 5750, 5770, and gtx460, and all that means is it is priced appropriately: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3511/galaxy_geforce_gts_450_super_oc_1gb_video_card/index20.html

so basically its not a bad purchase

Perf/$ is less than a 5770- they are priced the same and 5770 is faster- end of story there. However, I agree- its what fit the budget and needs, so for him its whats done best. OC it and be done.

holy cow take it easy. he said he wants nvidia for cuda and linux and had a fixed budget that doesnt fit anything else. if thats all he could get then it doesn't matter how good it is.

not to mention ITS NOT THAT BAD. in fact tweaktown finds the total performance per dollar the same as 5750, 5770, and gtx460, and all that means is it is priced appropriately: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3511/galaxy_geforce_gts_450_super_oc_1gb_video_card/index20.html

so basically its not a bad purchase

If the perf/$ is the same as a GTX460 that's amazing!!!

Really a shame that I couldn't have gone with a GTX460, but that wasn't going to be possible, and I always have the option of SLI down the road for a very reasonable price

His justification is based on a limited BR budget, an affinity for nvidia, and some research indicating that it meets his needs. Your negativity and harshness eliminate any credibility you may have had with your opinion.

So I just got an Asus GTS450 DirectCU as a replacement for my dying GTX260. Was this a good choice for the price? I really, really don't like ATI and all I had to spend was $150 before rebate.

How much did you pay for it? If it was $90 or less, thats a good deal.

$130. Cheapest GTS450 on NE without a MIR, decided that I would rather get something that's $130 without a rebate than something that's $140 and hoping for a $20 MIR.

@ Staypuft: BR? And thank you for your helpful & constructive comments :)

$130. Cheapest GTS450 on NE without a MIR, decided that I would rather get something that's $130 without a rebate than something that's $140 and hoping for a $20 MIR.

@ Staypuft: BR? And thank you for your helpful & constructive comments :)

Before Rebate

Oh. That makes sense :eek:

Yeah, a strict limit of $150 BR...shame, because I could have had a GTX460 for $140 AR :(

That would certainly be nice...if there was one for that price BR I would have snatched it up instantly.

But I can't imagine that happening for a while :(

Well, I think that from their experience you'd be very happy with them :)

I must say I'm quite happy with my GTS450, I OCed it to 925/1850 (stock mem ATM) instantly, and it's been rock stable so far. Pulls between 8 and 14k PPD in FAH (611 & 9XX PT WUs, respectively)

Back