GTO2 flying off shelves

airiox

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 14, 2004
Messages
298
LOL, I go to help some people fix their computer (PSU failure) I come back and check my email and see that ZipZoomFly had the GTO2 back in stock and go to check their site to see their price and they were already sold old. The email was 1 1/2 hours old. LOL funny stuff, those things fly off the shelves. I was gonna get one back when they were just over $200 but I dont think so now.
 
That's not surprising. The X800GTO2 was only made because of all those cheap excess R480 cores so I don't think any of us expected it to be around for very long . . .
 
fallguy said:
Yes, newegg gouges. Then when they are out of stock, they lower the pirce to $200. When it gets back in stock, it goes back up. :rolleyes:
I am glad to see that I am not the only one that noticed this !

The GTO2 is the one you can unlock the pipes to get yourself a 16 pipe x850 for cheap right?
 
BoBo 007 said:
I am glad to see that I am not the only one that noticed this !

The GTO2 is the one you can unlock the pipes to get yourself a 16 pipe x850 for cheap right?
Correct. ATI and Sapphire created the SKU as a way to clear R480 inventory (the die used to make X850XT) as R520 production ramps up. The vast majority, and many claim all, of these dies are perfectly good X850XTs. Sapphire is also shipping them with good 1.6ns RAM, so that makes for even more overclocking goodness :cool: The only bad thing about this product is time is running out - once those excess R480 dies are gone, X800GTO2 will probably be gone too. If you have any plans to get one of these cards, you need to do so soon - there are rumors about that Sapphire has already received their last shipment of dies for this SKU.
 
Has there been any confirmation to the rumor that they are laser cutting the boards to stop them from being unlocked now? Ive seen a Shot of the laser cut on one board. Everyone around is sold out of this right now and no date for when resupply will happen anyways.
 
i heard the GTO wasn't all that great...isn't it suppose to be like a contender against the Nvidia 6600GT
 
Spike23 said:
i heard the GTO wasn't all that great...isn't it suppose to be like a contender against the Nvidia 6600GT

Yes, In stock form the GTO and GTO2 are lower-mid level cards competing wtih the likes of the 6600GT. But the GTO2 is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Its basicly a X850XT PE thats been underclocked down to a much slower speed. It can be easily modded up to run at exactly X850XT PE specs and even Oced beyond them. For less than half the price of the more expensive card.

I jsut ordered my GTO2 up here in Canada for $285.00Cdn ( about 240-250 US). THe price WAS $245.00 just a few weeks ago but I aint gonna complain too much :cool: .
 
MikeP said:
Yes, In stock form the GTO and GTO2 are lower-mid level cards competing wtih the likes of the 6600GT. But the GTO2 is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Its basicly a X850XT PE thats been underclocked down to a much slower speed. It can be easily modded up to run at exactly X850XT PE specs and even Oced beyond them. For less than half the price of the more expensive card.

I jsut ordered my GTO2 up here in Canada for $285.00Cdn ( about 240-250 US). THe price WAS $245.00 just a few weeks ago but I aint gonna complain too much :cool: .

Post back if the laser cut your card.. .this was the first I heard of that.
 
Just got one this morning from a local shop; last of 5!

I ordered one online from somewhere else; I emailed them to cancel, but if they don't get my email, then I'll have 2...
 
Considering the gto2 around now are selling at ~$270, just get the 3dconnect x800gto for ~185 shipped. I hear most of them mod and will have 90% performace of a moded x800gto2.
 
ClearM4 said:
Considering the gto2 around now are selling at ~$270, just get the 3dconnect x800gto for ~185 shipped. I hear most of them mod and will have 90% performace of a moded x800gto2.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/127 said:
Not only the Sapphire GTO2 can be modded, the regular GTO cards from Connect 3D are also moddable. Success Rate: 45 Successful, 1 Failed (last update Oct 28 2005).

The steps to do the mod are exactly the same as the Sapphire GTO² mod outlined on page 2. You just use another Bios.

However, there are some drawbacks compared to the Sapphire GTO² cards:

Sapphire uses faster 1.6ns memory, while Connect3D uses only 2.0ns.
Sapphire uses a guaranteed R480 core, while Connect3D uses only R423.

Seems like great chances to me - just make sure you get a Connect3D card.

-SEAL
 
Without overclocking the connect 3D X800GTO but unlocking the pipes will give me what kind of performance gain? I also heard that unlocking the pipes will limit overclocking.
 
jack57 said:
Without overclocking the connect 3D X800GTO but unlocking the pipes will give me what kind of performance gain? I also heard that unlocking the pipes will limit overclocking.
~20-30%. 12 pipes to 16 pipes = 33% gain, but I dont think you get all that in performance. Without overclocking the x800gto is an x800xl (400core/490mem) when unlocked, but even with the extra heat from unlocking the 4 pipes it should easily overclock to x800xt speeds (500core/500mem). I have my 3dconnect x800gto unlocked and running 560/550 with zalman's vf700 cooler.
 
Back
Top