GTA V Driving

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
Ok. What the hell is the secret to driving in GTA V ?

I really want to get into this game, but I can go everywhere except where I want to when driving.

I see guys like XpertThief whiz these cars around like they are on rails. I just don't get it.

Am I just too fucking old ?

I tried cutting back on the sensitivity (I think - I hate the settings panel in this game).

Contrary to most action games, in GTA you have to treat the cars as cars. They feel and drive as you would except a car irl.

Contrary to most action games, in GTA you have to treat the cars as cars. They feel and drive as you would except a car irl.

U hmmm not even close. GTAV driving is absolutely arcade... You can take a 90 degree turn at fucking 80 mph in most cars like its nothing. It's incredibly easy and insanely arcade like. I'm assuming you've never driven a car before based on your post, just saying...

I'm one of the few people who actually liked the driving in GTA IV. They were going for a realistic feel with that whole game and the driving was much closer to reality then the other games. Try to take a 90 degree turn at 80mph in 4 and your car is going to slide into the wall. It actually took some skill to learn how to use the handbrake to drift into turns and know how fast you can go into turns. When I went from playing 4 to 5 it was like night and day difference.

U hmmm not even close. GTAV driving is absolutely arcade... You can take a 90 degree turn at fucking 80 mph in most cars like its nothing. It's incredibly easy and insanely arcade like. I'm assuming you've never driven a car before based on your post, just saying...

I'm one of the few people who actually liked the driving in GTA IV. They were going for a realistic feel with that whole game and the driving was much closer to reality then the other games. Try to take a 90 degree turn at 80mph in 4 and your car is going to slide into the wall. It actually took some skill to learn how to use the handbrake to drift into turns and know how fast you can go into turns. When I went from playing 4 to 5 it was like night and day difference.

Driving in GTA IV is analogous to drunk driving irl. Not realistic AT ALL. Cars do not spin out when taking a 45* turn at 50Mph with any decently competent driver at the wheel. GTA IV's driving was a complete disaster, please do tell what cars irl slide, tumble, and bounce around like they do in IV when taking a turn at even <20Mph?
I prefer V's driving model, it is neither realistic nor tedious, which fits a GTA game imo.

The easiest way is to use an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller. Also, play with the 3rd person camera, as far back as possible. The 1st person camera makes it very difficult to see traffic that's about to hit you. Make sure you brake before turns and it will bring the rear around. It's a matter of understanding the physics model (which is consistent, even though it's a bit ridiculous). They actually tried to make the physics more realistic for GTA IV, but that was pretty unpopular so GTA V has physics designed to be more arcady.

Also, if you're having problems try practicing with one of the slower smaller cars like the one that looks like a Mini or the one that looks like a Honda Civic or Toyota Prius. They handle well and aren't fast enough to get you in much trouble. You'll be handling a Banshee like a pro around Los Santos in no time.

I do wish they kept the GTA4 car physics. They just felt more real and had weight to them and the suspension was incredibly realistic. For some reason they got rid of all the parts of GTA4 that were good especially the way NPCs reacted when getting shot. In GTA5 they just buckle over then get up and run. In GTA4 you could shoot them in the ankle and they fall over backwards trying to keep themselves up by grabbing a wall, railing or other NPC. They would also start limping away, clutch their wounds or just trying everything they could to stay alive. Don't know why they got rid of all that.

If you're on PC, drive using an xbox controller. If you are already using a controller, you actually have to brake when you're taking corners, and also keep in mind the physics of uphill and downhill. it also depends on the car you're driving, AWD cars handle much better. If RWD, you have to be much more sensitive with the throttle and avoid spin outs. I never drove many FWD cars in that game but if they handle like they do IRL, then they tend to understeer a lot so use the handbrake when you want to corner.

Driving in GTA IV is analogous to drunk driving irl. Not realistic AT ALL. Cars do not spin out when taking a 45* turn at 50Mph with any decently competent driver at the wheel. GTA IV's driving was a complete disaster, please do tell what cars irl slide, tumble, and bounce around like they do in IV when taking a turn at even <20Mph?
I prefer V's driving model, it is neither realistic nor tedious, which fits a GTA game imo.

That's not how the cars handled in 4.

Just out of curiosity, how many different cars have you driven in real life? Ever driven any large 80's-90's era sedans?

I didn't say 4 was realistic. I said it was closer to being realistic then 5, which is true. The cars didn't spin out turning at 20mph, you must have played a different game. What they did was not allow you to make a hair pin turn going at excessive speeds... You had to slow down, or master sliding perfectly with the E-brake. Much like "irl" as you like to say, or as we adults say.... real life.

Maybe you've only driven 00's coups and hatchbacks. Take a 90's Buick or Lincoln for a spin "irl" and get back to me.

Just out of curiosity, how many different cars have you driven in real life? Ever driven any large 80's-90's era sedans?

I didn't say 4 was realistic. I said it was closer to being realistic then 5, which is true. The cars didn't spin out turning at 20mph, you must have played a different game. What they did was not allow you to make a hair pin turn going at excessive speeds... You had to slow down, or master sliding perfectly with the E-brake. Much like "irl" as you like to say, or as we adults say.... real life.

Maybe you've only driven 00's coups and hatchbacks. Take a 90's Buick or Lincoln for a spin "irl" and get back to me.

Sorry, not everyone drives old cars, most of us have moved on to the modern era where cars don't handle like boats. The 911 in that game (Comet) handled like a piece of shit. It would almost spin out just trying to accelerate and would have trouble going around a corner at anything above 20-30mph. I've driven around a sharp almost 90 degree turn at 60mph, and while it was scary, my car didn't go full retard and start spinning and flipping around. Nobody cared if the SUV's in the game were rocking around like yachts, but when the super cars and coupes were doing the same shit, there was a problem.

Maybe you should also check the speeds of the cars in GTA V, because the top speeds are pretty low.

Oh and before you label me a GTA 4 hater, I loved that game and have over 200 hours in it and the expansion/DLC.

As for the actual OP, use a controller. I can use the mouse/keyboard now, but it's still more comfortable to drive with a controller, unless you are shooting while driving. The "strategy" you use to drive in GTA V is basically full throttle until you get near a corner, where you should brake before you get to it.

Yes, the driving in GTAV is much less realistic than in GTAIV, I bashed the game for it as well when it first came out. But it's still more realistic than most action games. It's the same physics engine as GTAIV, so the basic prinicples are the same, it's just tuned to be much easier, and it seems it's still to much to handle for some .You can only take 90 degree turns at 80 mph with franklin's ability. But that doesn't count. Most cars can't even do 80 mph in gta, as in IV, almost everything is limited to around 60.

Sorry, not everyone drives old cars, most of us have moved on to the modern era where cars don't handle like boats. The 911 in that game (Comet) handled like a piece of shit. It would almost spin out just trying to accelerate and would have trouble going around a corner at anything above 20-30mph. I've driven around a sharp almost 90 degree turn at 60mph, and while it was scary, my car didn't go full retard and start spinning and flipping around. Nobody cared if the SUV's in the game were rocking around like yachts, but when the super cars and coupes were doing the same shit, there was a problem.

Maybe you should also check the speeds of the cars in GTA V, because the top speeds are pretty low.

Oh and before you label me a GTA 4 hater, I loved that game and have over 200 hours in it and the expansion/DLC.

As for the actual OP, use a controller. I can use the mouse/keyboard now, but it's still more comfortable to drive with a controller, unless you are shooting while driving. The "strategy" you use to drive in GTA V is basically full throttle until you get near a corner, where you should brake before you get to it.

Now, do you think for a second that maybe I mentioned 80-90's sedans because just maybe there were a lot of those cars in the game?

The car I drive is a 2007, it's European and has a tuned 2.0T motor running 18lbs of boost. I'm not even 30, though my point was I know how cars handle. I've owned well over a dozen, ranging from those 90's sedans to a Honda S2000, VW R32, and a TL type S. Those were the fun ones, along with Junkers throw in the mix.

My point was that 4 was more realistic then 5. Which is true.

However, this is fucking GTA were taking about.... So no, neither game is anywhere close to realistic.... OBVIOUSLY. IV was certainly more geared toward trying to be realistic, failing or not it was closer than 5 is. In 5 you practically don't even have to let off the gas ever. Yes I own both games.

And if you're young and you've only ever driven one car your whole life you might not understand. Older cars handle much differently and there were a lot of them in IV.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
I guess we can just gloss over the fact that even coupes and super cars handled like boats in GTA IV...Maybe you should reread the post again so you would see that I mentioned what I just wrote. I don't care about the old shit cars or SUV's handling like shit (even though some of the SUV's aren't going to handle like that either), it's the fact that every other car handled just as badly.

I guess we can just gloss over the fact that even coupes and super cars handled like boats in GTA IV...

I agree with that for sure. My only point was that 4 at least attempted to lean closer to a realistic aspect where you could actually feel the weight of the car. Sure, they got it wrong with more then a few in game cars. Some people hated it, some liked it. I just found it more enjoyable since it followed the grittiness/semi realistic atmosphere of the game. V is just a different animal.

I agree with that for sure. My only point was that 4 at least attempted to lean closer to a realistic aspect where you could actually feel the weight of the car. Sure, they got it wrong with more then a few in game cars. Some people hated it, some liked it. I just found it more enjoyable since it followed the grittiness/semi realistic atmosphere of the game. V is just a different animal.

To be honest, my biggest issue was that it felt like the cars had brakes that had been run around a test track for 20 years. The cars just didn't stop very well.

To be honest, my biggest issue was that it felt like the cars had brakes that had been run around a test track for 20 years. The cars just didn't stop very well.

Yeah, the stopping was awful for sure. It is pretty amazing how well modern cars have advanced in brake technogy now a days. Way better then 20 - 30 years ago but not as bad as it was in the game. I just found it was hard to get a good sense of the speed you're actually going in game, seeing as there was no speedometer really. It's been added in first person for V, and I even feel like the sense of speed is faster then what the speedo reads, in V.

I do enjoy the driving in V... It is fun. I don't find it difficult though, but I use a game pad. I love the little futo 90's drift car I have. That thing does donuts and drifts like crazy in V, compared to the other cars.

This. Making a turn at 30 MPH would result in lots of spinning and sliding in high end cars. I don't see this happening at all in person. I even see 80-90s sedans driving in access of 20 MPH and turning around corners while maintaining their lane everyday. Anyone who thinks an average car can't make a turn at over 30 MPH is either constantly drunk or never driven a car before.

I use a wireless 360 controller and have no issue driving in GTA5.
I use the mouse and keyboard when on foot since I can not aim fast and accurate with a controller.

You're talking to an iRacing subscriber. Not even close man :)

The easiest way is to use an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller. Also, play with the 3rd person camera, as far back as possible. The 1st person camera makes it very difficult to see traffic that's about to hit you. Make sure you brake before turns and it will bring the rear around. It's a matter of understanding the physics model (which is consistent, even though it's a bit ridiculous). They actually tried to make the physics more realistic for GTA IV, but that was pretty unpopular so GTA V has physics designed to be more arcady.

Also, if you're having problems try practicing with one of the slower smaller cars like the one that looks like a Mini or the one that looks like a Honda Civic or Toyota Prius. They handle well and aren't fast enough to get you in much trouble. You'll be handling a Banshee like a pro around Los Santos in no time.

I actually tried playing with an XBone controller. But then I couldn't shoot worth a shit LOL

I thought "irl" is a better alternative than spelling out "real life" all the time...

Anyways, you're right, I probably have not driven enough 80-90s sedans, but I have driven a '91 Ford Taurus and it did not sway like a boat when I took it into a turn at 50Mph, neither did it require a runway to come to a full stop from 50Mph.

In any case, IMO (<- notice in my *opinion*), GTAV's driving model fits GTA games perfectly and GTA IV's was an unsuccessful merge of arcade and realism, resulting in something completely irritating and unenjoyable.

GTA'v's car physics are barely there at all and are not hard to handle. I can name 10 or more open world games that have more advanced physics then it does.

I thought "irl" is a better alternative than spelling out "real life" all the time...

Anyways, you're right, I probably have not driven enough 80-90s sedans, but I have driven a '91 Ford Taurus and it did not sway like a boat when I took it into a turn at 50Mph, neither did it require a runway to come to a full stop from 50Mph.

In any case, IMO (<- notice in my *opinion*), GTAV's driving model fits GTA games perfectly and GTA IV's was an unsuccessful merge of arcade and realism, resulting in something completely irritating and unenjoyable.

You're very right, the driving mechanics in V do fit the game extremely well. No doubt about that. And it's certainly fun

I drive using Xbox 360 controller and first person. First person makes a crazy difference. Plus anytime you get Franklin that shit is like cheating

I can't believe the discussion is about how *realistic* GTA driving is. They are ALL horribly unrealistic, haha.

GTA'v's car physics are barely there at all and are not hard to handle. I can name 10 or more open world games that have more advanced physics then it does.

Go on then. I've been looking for open world driving games with decent physics, would love to hear your suggestions.

I played both 4 and 5 with mouse and keyboard and had no issues. The key is to use braking effectively in sharp turns. Also spend some time roaming about the town as practice.

Also 4 is more simulator than 5. Both are not realistic at all.

I actually tried playing with an XBone controller. But then I couldn't shoot worth a shit LOL

Swap. That's what I did, and it worked beautifully. Easily the best experience playing a GTA game that I've ever had. I just kept the controller on my lap while I played and when I got in a vehicle I picked up the controller and used it to drive, then put it down when I got out. I know it *sounds* tedious but I swear it really felt seamless to me.

I've noticed as the mean population of the average gamer increases, there is a noticeable trend to less reaction and skill based games. While some games may inherently resolve some of this conflict by introducing more strategy to mitigate the lack of dexterity and so forth required, it takes away from those of us who also enjoy "arcadey" type games that aren't based on our real life needs not being met. Some gamers, especially older ones who haven't had their life's wishes requited resort to video games for a simulation of something that may be real and resent the skill and dexterity certain games present.

I've noticed as the mean population of the average gamer increases, there is a noticeable trend to less reaction and skill based games. While some games may inherently resolve some of this conflict by introducing more strategy to mitigate the lack of dexterity and so forth required, it takes away from those of us who also enjoy "arcadey" type games that aren't based on our real life needs not being met. Some gamers, especially older ones who haven't had their life's wishes requited resort to video games for a simulation of something that may be real and resent the skill and dexterity certain games present.

It's true. As I get older I find that I am filled with regret over all those high-dollar heists and hit & run felonies I never experienced in my youth. :D
And I also like playing games that are easy for entertainment. I do enough skill-based work that I get paid for, no need to play games that feel like work when I'm just ready to relax. I can also afford to own hundreds of games I've never played, so most of the time I want to blow through a game as quickly as possible, so I don't want to play something where I'm failing over and over and dragging out the play-time artificially.

So yeah, I'd say R* seems to have nailed their demographic pretty well in this game. I'm still waiting on GTA5 to go on sale to buy it, but I'm a huge fan of the driving mechanics of Saints Row 3/4 over those in GTA4, so I'm hoping they took some pointers from a game that was actually fun to play and just made GTA fun again.

I'm just hoping to be able to play all of GTA5 with mouse & keyboard and not have to switch constantly between the controller and mouse. Guess I'll find out if/when it ever goes on sale.

You know what's funny, as a kid I played the likes of Battletoads and Double Dragon on NES and remember them being super hard. I played them again more recently and realised they were actually a lot easier than I thought they were, just they were mostly frustrating due to the lack of saves, lol.

But yeah, I don't really like my games to be skill testers. I don't mind games that are hard, but they have to be good games first and hard games second.

I drive using Xbox 360 controller and first person. First person makes a crazy difference.

I do the same thing. Actually I just started using first person the other day (I only play this game as a sandbox, don't do missions or anything...)

Certain aspects of the driving "attempt" to be realistic, and certain aspects are just either not there, or pretty bad. However, it's kind of easy to see what they were aiming for with various cars, and then exploit it a bit. It just takes a little adaption from the player.

I'll use the pseudo-Porsche as an example. I see that they tried to implement a bit of the feel of a rear-engine-rear-wheel-drive car. (they overdid it in some ways) However, once you recognize and adjust to the way the rear slides, you can completely exploit it, and absolutely fly around the game in that car. You have to adjust your steering and timing to match the over-the-top(edness) :D of it, but the car becomes very effective after that.

Also that Ford GT(ish) car is a blast and a little easier to drive, and will kind of ease one into the higher speed cars I find.

Just recently started getting into the bikes a bit in first person, and that's a blast too.

Anyway...

I love the cool sedans more then the super cars. Everyone else is Rollin around in million dollar cars and I have my sedans all pimped out with turbos and lowered suspension etc. the futo GT is my favorite by far... That little thing is a blast once it's fully modded out. Best car to drift out of any of them, in my opinion. And the sultan RS, which is made to be a WRX look alike. Also love the warrener, specifically modeled after old school Nissan skyline race cars, even has the taped out headlights and drift kit. Super rare to see online so you have to buy it. It's cheap though, 80k or something. It's badass looking though once you put the body kit on and lower it, plus some nice wheels. I'll have to take a picture of mine later.

The Warrener looks exactly like this skyline

6izjvo.jpg

And the futo was specifically modeled after the Toyota ae86 Corolla drift/race car. With even accurate engine bay models and body kits.

2mxpg1j.jpg

Last edited:
Back