GTA IV Problem

black.hat

Weaksauce
I've just completed setting up my new pc, and I've installed GTA IV, however, when i max out the graphic settings, the game get extremely slow that I cant even play, Does anyone have any idea? Note that i did updated the graphic driver and DirectX is installed, below are my hardware:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
i7-3930K
2X Evga GTX 690
SSD drives

I know when I was a running a set of GTX470s in SLI it would overheatheat the cards and lock the system up . At the time I was running a [email protected] on Win7 64bit . It runs much better on just one card.

Disable one of the cards to see if it helps.. not a solution but its a valid troubleshooting step

GTA4 for PC has lots of deeply rooted issues in it's code, it's not a "modern" game, and it was kinda a half ass port in terms of compatibility.

I know i got bad Vsync and other issues when I was running Xfire 7970's, GTA4 also seems to have problems recognizing GPU's with more than 2GB of memory.

As stated run single GPU and you should see improvement.

Just for fun (and if you like tinkering) check out the iCE enhancer shader mod for the game. Makes it looks EASILY 10X better. Throw a high res texture pack or two from some of the sites, and the game easily competes with the modern sexy looking games coming out today.

My advice is: expect poor performance despite having a monster rig. SLI might workout for you, so try a single 690.

I made some great progress, lost my save file and then gave up.

The game is infamous for running better on a single GPU. When I started playing it I was dumbfounded why it ran so crappy when I had better then the recommended hardware. I ended up getting better performance from a single GPU over SLI. Other then that I dont know what to tell you... it seems everyone gets different results from doing this or that.

Edit: when I say better performance, I dont mean the game worked great etc, the game still has many issues. It still ran like crap, just better with one card. like collegeboy69us said, crap code. I think they were in a hurry to get a new version out and make $$$

Last edited:
Hyperthreading hurts performance in this game so you could try disabling it if it's turned on Cb69us has a good point about the game getting confused by large amount of VRAM, it recognizes the 2gb on my 6950 but 4x2gb could cause some issues I guess. There is a command line switch to set the VRAM size that forces the game to recognize higher amounts, I don't remember the specifics but google should.

As others have said, the game is poorly optimized so you might not be able to get the performance you should with that system. Shadows are the biggest performance killer(especially with all the patches after 1.0.4.0) so you might try turning those down a bit. I also found that even with 2gb of VRAM I had to turn down the view distance a little or occasionally I would run out of VRAM and my framerate would plummet(from 45-60 to 15-20 fps).

Back